Overpayment?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Recently had a re-certification interview. Nothing about my disability, living situation, etc. had changed so I still qualify for SSI disability. Or so I thought.

SSA looked at the balance of my checking account for the first day of the each month for the past 2 years. I usually carried a balance of approximately $1500 in the account during the month.

However, because I have direct deposit of my SSI payment into this account, every 1st day of the month the balance would go over the $2000 resource limit. For example, my balance is $1500 June 30 and the SSI direct deposit payment makes my balance $2200 the next day.

Consequently, I received an overpayment letter stating I must repay the past 24 months of SSI I received.

I have heard that all the SSI looks at is a "snap shot" of your banking account i.e. the 1st day balance. So is this a matter that they will look at and see their mistake when I file for reconsideration?

I was told that as long as I was under the $2000 limit before the next payment was due I was okay.

Can anyone reassure me that I am okay?

Thanks.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!