My wife and I separated she collects ssi for our son but he lives with me now. Is that fraud?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

My wife and I separated October 2014 because she is an alcoholic. The kids decided they wanted to come live with me after she left them on the side of the road and drove off. My sister had to come get them till I was able to get there. My wife has been collecting ssi for our son for many years now. She has been collecting it and even reapplied for it this year but she no longer has the kids with her. She won't alow me to have access to that money to help pay for my sons needs. She uses it to pay her rent. What do I do? Should I contact ssi about the situation and apply for his ssi so that it can go to taking care of him? We don't have a custody arrangement for the kids yet but they are 14 and my daughter is 17 about to turn 18 in July. I can't afford to go to court because I have so much to pay for right now with having them with me. What can I do? I need that ssi for him so that he can get the proper needs that I can't give with my income because of the bills to pay to put a roof over their heads.
Dave C

KevinPC13 (not verified)
Tue, 03/13/2018 - 04:20 Permalink

Hope you went ahead and talked to SSI - Its just not right - logic and common sense were on your side - For Sure
I'm dealing with SSDI vs CA Workers Comp - SSDI says they will reduce my 7yr long SSDI monthly payments because I received 24 months of W/C and a lump sum pmt for future earnings lost.
Why does SSDI care? I paid into SS for 35 yrs (past income) and they are trying to include future income to reduce what my current SSDI Monthly Pmt & to keep from paying me my correct Benefit Amount

rsg

In reply to by KevinPC13 (not verified)

Tue, 03/13/2018 - 15:58 Permalink

Hi Kevin,

When on receiving SSDI and workers compensation, your total monthly earnings cannot exceed 80% more than your monthly earning before you became disabled. This might be why the SSA is reducing your payment. You can call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to talk to a rep to find out exactly why your payments are being reduced.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!