You are here

How Should a Representative Payee Spend a Child's SSI Benefits?

Today we will be addressing a question that came to us through our interactive disability forum. If you have a question regarding any part of the Social Security Disability application process, leave it in the comment section below so that we can answer it in a future blog post. Today’s question is:

How should a representative payee spend a child's SSI benefits?

As the representative payee for your child’s Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments, you are responsible for using the funds appropriately and for keeping accurate records of how the payments are spent.

Standard monthly benefit payments can be managed and used in certain ways, while significant back payments of retroactive benefits must be handled differently.

Dedicated Accounts for SSI Back Payments

If your child has recently been approved for SSI and is due a large back payment of benefits, then you will be required to open a dedicated bank account for the funds and the use of those funds will be subject to very specific restrictions.

  • The dedicated account must be a separate checking, savings, or money market account from the one that is used for standard monthly SSI benefits.
  • The funds in the account must be maintained separately from all other funds, including monthly benefit deposits from SSI.
  • The back payment funds cannot be used to purchase stocks, bonds, CDs, or any other form of secured or unsecured investment.
  • The account must be registered showing your child as the owner of the funds and any and all interest that may be accrued on the account.

Funds from your child’s dedicated account can be spent only on the following:

  • medical treatment and related expenses
  • educational expenses, including job and skills training costs
  • special equipment, skilled nursing assistance, home modification costs, and rehab or therapy expenses

Legal fees due to the attorney that assisted in your child’s SSI claim can also be paid from this account.

Regular Monthly Benefit Payments

Your child’s regular monthly SSI payments can be deposited into your standard savings, checking, or money market account, but you will still need to accurately track the manner in which those funds are spent and report that information to the SSA as required.

Monthly benefit payments can be spent on everyday living expenses and daily support needs. These can include any and all of the items listed under the authorized Dedicated Account spending, as well as the following:

  • food
  • clothing
  • shelter
  • insurance costs
  • medical care
  • child care expenses
  • furnishing
  • personal comfort items

Keep in mind that the above listed items can only be used for the child earning the benefits.

Any monthly benefits that are not needed to pay for your child’s current-month expenses must be saved for future use. Many people find the easiest method for keeping track of their child’s benefit balance and spending details is to have a separate checking and/or savings account specifically for monthly SSI payments.

Periodic Spending Checks

The SSA conducts periodic checks on the spending practices of representative payees. Typically these reviews happen once a year. However, the SSA may require reporting as often as every three months for the duration of your child’s SSI eligibility.

If you aren’t sure if you are spending your child’s benefit payments correctly, you should contact the SSA representative who handles his or her claim. If a child’s payments are spent incorrectly, the representative payee may be required to reimburse any funds that were misused.

Please leave any Social Security Disability questions in the comment section below so that we can answer them in a future blog post!


If I know someone that has two child that gets disability and she basically uses the money to buy her New clothes and goes out to eat n take two vacations a month with their check after she buys them only one or two suits of clothes with them what should I do can't she get in trouble for that

Hi Chad,
Are you confident she isn't spending her child's SSI benefits on the child? My concern would be to risk the child losing his/her disability benefits due to a false accusation. If you're 100% sure that she is misusing the child's benefit, you could report this at 1-800-772-1213.

Can a parent spend back pay on her boyfriend rehab also spent ssi she recipes f

How can it be possible a mother can spend her daughter back ssi on her boy friend rehab? ???also pay boyfriend cell phone bill buy him shoes.And nothing on child ?

Hi Lujuana,
That sounds like it might be fraud! I would consider reporting that to the SSA.

My children recently received a check (2 months prev) for disability benefits they are entitled to due to their father recently being disabled (we are no longer married). Moving forward, their money will be deposited to a debit card for use on their expenses. For this particular first time check for them, can I deposit into my account and use for current expenses immediately or am I required to save this into a completely separate account as a "savings" since it is 2 months backpay. I read that 6 months or more should be a designated account but less than that can be deposited and used. My children have expenses for food, shelter, medical, clothing this month that this can be used for being that it's only 2 months worth (kids are not disabled - their dad is) but I was not sure if I needed to save this and wait until next month to be deposited into the debit card. Thanks for your help!

Hi Laurie,
You should definitely put this in a separate account. Because they're receiving auxiliary benefits the SSA will likely not be as strict with back pay, but because they're children, it's better to be safe than sorry.

if the mother is the payee and divorced from the father, can the father use some of the money each month. Since he has the child every other weekend and every Wednesday?

Hi Robyn,
Those funds are intended to be used for the child, so if the father would be using the money for approved purposes, the payee may be able to give him the money to do so.

I had used some of the back pay 2,000 on fixing my car is that ok or not? Either way already done. I spent 383$ new tires alignment and oilchange

Hi Kelly,
No, this is likely not an approved payment. Back pay can ONLY be spent on improving the child's live, such as on doctors' appointments. Your child could lose his or her benefits.

Hi Kelly,
I am not sure! If you are able to do that, I would say it's a wise idea.

Hi Kelly,
Bed is fine. Gas is ok so long as you can definitively prove that the gas was used to and from trips to her doctor or school.

Just because car maintenance is not specifically listed, does not mean it can't be approved. It's common sense. How else do you get the children to doctor appointments and everywhere else they need to be? Usually, for me as a mom, just about everyplace I go is either directly or indirectly related to caring for the children.

if the child recieve ssi then they also get medical insurance and that insurance will get that child to whatever medical appointments he would have all you have to do is call insurance and schedule a ride.

Hi Brandon,
That may be an option! Also, many cities and towns have transport options for those who are over 60 or disabled as well.

Of course its ok to make car repairs since the car does infact have to transport the child... that is a no brainer... not having a way to get around would further impact the disability

Hi K,
That's a great point! Regardless, it's always good to check in with your SSA representative before making purchases that aren't explicitly listed as allowed.

Wouldn't having a running vehicle be an improvement in the child's life. I was told that with my son's 3 yrs ofor back pay we could possibly get a car to get him to his appointments and activities. A cheap used car not a brand new top of the lone of course.

Hi Kelly,
It may be a definite improvement, but if you're unsure, it's always good to contact your local SSA office and confirm with them.

I don't understand this , a car is a necessity for life in general especially for a disabled child for how else would they get to their doctor to maintain health or medication etc. If she has no way to doctor and has to suffer I would say that's a fair way to improve the child's life so they are not walking to and from everything.

Hi Marie,
Many states have subsidized transportation for people receiving Medicaid or Medicare, it may be a good idea to contact the office in your state that manages them for more details.

My son's case manager gave me approval to use some of the back pay to fix my vehicle since we where not living on a bus line and it was my only way of getting him to and from school as well as all of his doctor appointments my back pay was also less than 6 months so that makes a difference as well . I hope that helps

You can spend back pay on a car, but it must be owned by and used by the beneficiary.

Bryan, a child can't own a vehicle. If the vehicle is owned by the parent AND that vehicle is used to transport the child to school, doctors appointments AND for the parent to go places like the grocery store to buy food for the child. The expenses are allowed.

Hi Hope,
A child may be able to own a vehicle, however they may not be allowed to operate it. However, it's always best to consult your SSA caseworker if you're unsure about what you can use your child's money for.

Can i use the back pay for my sons glasses. He broke ome i bought and then his other ones. He cant get new ones from insurance until six more months? He want to ice skate and i cant afford the classes and to take a cab to get thier. There is no bus route. Can i use it for that. I have a list of things that i am going to call ssa to ask. But whats really holding me down from getting him more services available is transportation. He keep breaking his eye glasses.

My child gets ssi payments from her father, My case worker told me, i could buy a car, Cable and have a phone, paid with my child's check. Having a car helps your child get place to place. So no i don't think that would be a problem...

I have a question.
What if i never opened my daughter's bank account, I get her check sent to my account. I do however spend her money on her. My boyfriend supports me not my child. With my daughters check i buy clothing, diapers, transportation,food, entertainment, and i occasionally take her out to eat like a McDonald's. Is that wrong?

Hi Cole,
It may be better to have a separate account for your child's benefits as that might allow your to track the money more easily and account for purchases.

I have a friend who is so confused as to what shes allowed to purchase for her daughter who is on disability. Her caseworker told her she is not allowed to purchase glasses, medicine, clothes, etc for her daughter. So what is the purpose of her having an account for her if shes not allowed to spend the money on what she wants. Or even a computer to help her w her dyslexia. They told her she can buy her a bed and a dresser which she already has. Is there not a list she can look at online possibly??

Hi April,
The reason she can't spend it on what she wants is because all of the money needs to be spent on her daughter, not other items like car payments or credit card bills. She can likely get most purchases for her daughter approved, like a computer. She should just submit them ahead of time to make sure she does not face a penalty.

My 14 year old and my 12 year both get ss because thier father retired (and is fighting to stop child support because they get this benefit) How do you show money used for everyday things like groceries? Say I purchase a gallon of milk. I will probably drink some of that milk too. I dont have to shop seperatly for my daughter do I?

Hi Terri,
I do not believe so. That would be ridiculous. Because your daughters are not actually disabled and are just receiving benefits off of their fathers' account, they will not have the same asset limitations other children have.

Hi I s it ok to have a new car. We were una bad accident and car was totaled. My asd 10 year old doesn't do very good riding public bus. Have been asked to get off before so I need car. I'm a single mom and can't afford to be in a used car and paying for repairs or getting stranded somewhere. I qualified for a new car and went ahead and got one making payments and didn't put money down because I had no money for down payment. I work full time and some overtime to make my car payment.

Hi Jackie,
You will need to clear this purchase with the SSA rep who handles your son's case to be sure!

Hi there,
You can definitely use it on a new bed for your son. As for the refrigerator, you will need to be able to show that your current fridge is not working at all and your son needs one for a fresh food supply.

I was told by my granddaughters worker that the dedicated back pay could NOT be used to by her a bed. But I see a lot of posts saying it is ok. So who do I talk with to see if this can actually be done without having to repay back if local workers says it can not be!?

Hi there,
you can contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213, they can help go over what you can use your granddaughter's back pay.

My daughter just got approved getting ready to opening her account, what are somethings she can get approved for sure, she needs a new bed,we have no vehicle, just wondering thank you

My son who is 22 applied for SSI ...... he can not manage monies on his own i remember in the past i had a form signed by his doctor that he is not capable of handling his money what is this form called and where can i get one thanks

Hi Debbie,
If he is approved for benefits and the SSA determines that he does not need a representative payee, you will not be able to take control of his benefits. If he DOES need a representative payee, you will need to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office to file the paperwork.

STOP TRYING TO STEAL YOUR SONS MONEY HE IS 22 if he cant handle his money that is his responsibility not yours you should have raised him better