SSI cutting payments for no reason

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Hi, I have been getting SSI for a while now and just this January my payment was reduced by 400+ dollars for no apparent reason. I did not get any overpayment letter or notice it was being reduced. My circumstances have not changed in any way. I actually found out when I went to the back and saw my January payment did not come as expected. I only check my account at the end of the month so I had no idea.

Jack (not verified)
Wed, 03/29/2017 - 22:41 Permalink

Had the same thing happen to me this year. I received a notice in the mail in January this year (2017) saying I would be getting the same amount every month as I got in 2016 but a month or so later it didn't come as expected. Turns out they reduced it by like $60 which hits me pretty hard financially since most of my SSI goes towards rent every month leaving me with very little to survive on. I did work part time for a seasonal job for 2 & a half months but stopped getting hours in late December so I assumed it was over & was no longer working. I reported my earnings that time through my rep payee in November or December I think it was. The change seems to have occurred in February this year when I noticed the reduction but found it strange that me & my payee got no notice in the mail about it & its been about two months now since I noticed this change in my SSI payments yet still no notice or reason.

Bryan

In reply to by Jack (not verified)

Thu, 03/30/2017 - 10:10 Permalink

Hi Jack,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this as they do reduce SSI benefits one dollar for every two dollars of income that you receive through working. This may be why you had a reduction in benefits.

Anonymous (not verified)
Fri, 04/28/2017 - 21:40 Permalink

I live in Ohio and recently had my SSI reduced due to marriage to such a degree that I am no longer able to pay my rent. The only solution my wife and I have arrived at is to seek a dissolution. Is an attorney required for this and, are my SSI payments guaranteed to return to their previous amount?

Additionally, if I continue to cohabit with my wife after the dissolution, would that affect my SSI payments?

Bryan

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Mon, 05/01/2017 - 11:24 Permalink

HI there,
Regarding dissolution of marriage, I really could not say as we are not experts on family or divorce law and those laws may be specific to your state. I also could not guarantee if your benefits would return to the previous amounts if you still cohabitate, or that they would return to the same amount after the dissolution of marriage.

Lisa (not verified)
Wed, 05/10/2017 - 14:54 Permalink

My son who is 18 has been diagnosed with bipolar 1. He isn't able to hold down a job and he had so much anxiety and paranoia that he couldn't go back to school. He was a senior in high school and he only had 4 months left. But he would shake and isolate when he had to get ready for school. So he was put on their on line school and he's almost done.
However he has been hospitalized a few times recently and he can't do much bcuz the medications they put him on makes him unable to function. He's a zombie and he can't stay awake.
So.. I'm Hoping he will be able to get some financial help so he can pay for food and other necessities of living. I'm a single mother and I don't have money to give him. It's so s scary. I can't believe that I'm going thru this situation. I feel hopeless.

Eric

In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Wed, 05/10/2017 - 16:49 Permalink

Hi Lisa,

I am very sorry to hear that. Things can get better though. Your son may be eligible for SSI benefits. You can go to the SSA's website and fill out an application.

-Eric

Pam (not verified)
Sun, 07/30/2017 - 00:10 Permalink

I need to get an ac system but ssa to me that if I spend more than $2000 I will loos my ssi benefits

Tiffany (not verified)
Thu, 02/01/2018 - 22:25 Permalink

My son's are on ssi and they keep cutting my pay for them saying my income has changed. I have had to appeal every other month and this month I appealed within the time frame but they still reduced the payments to$20 a month. Do I need a laywer?

Bryan

In reply to by Tiffany (not verified)

Tue, 02/06/2018 - 16:30 Permalink

Hi Tiffany,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding your income, if there have been no changes in it you may want to present some evidence of this to them.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!