Child of a disabled parent

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I'm the child of a disabled parent who recieves HUD and SSI benefits. Since I graduated I've been paying half of the rent and utilities, and my income is figured into the house's income (which apart from what I get from my job is entirely government support.) This creates a situation where I am unable to earn too much money without my parent losing benefits, or potentially being cut out of housing assistance entirely. It puts me in a tricky spot, because I'm trying to save money to move out on my own. It seems like this system is predesigned to make my parent dependant on me, and prevent me from getting ahead without my parent suffering as a result. I don't know any way to solve this problem except to move out, and I have nowhere to go. I've been pidgeon holed into nothing but minimum wage jobs because of this problem, and may have to ask my current employers (who are paying me much better wages) to cut my hours in order to prevent my parent being cut from hud. If that happens, once I leave it will take another year on the waiting list for them to get back on the program once I leave. any advice?

anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 06/25/2016 - 04:13 Permalink

can my son get paid for taking care of me he is 22?

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!