SSI for Child's Disability Backpay - How to spend?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

Can anyone think of a way I can spend my child's backpay? She is on chemotherapy for a type of cancer and qualified for disability and receives SSI payments starting this week. However, we have $1600 in backpay they gave us last month that they are VERY tight about how we use. We can only use it for improving her quality of life or for medical needs. When she was diagnosed some family invested their own credit to install central air conditioning equipped with uv-type air purifier and ripped out most of the carpet to put in easier-to-sanitize laminate flooring and we thought we would be able to pay for it with her disability backpay, and I'm behind on rent, but apparently you can't pay old bills with backpay. She's only 18 months old and I'm struggling to figure out a way to use this money for her before they start counting it as an asset. : / Any suggestions? I could always rip out the rest of the carpet I guess. >.<

Brittany (not verified)
Fri, 05/19/2017 - 22:57 Permalink

I was told it can be used for living expenses rent electricity food things for the child&#039;s benefit for instance my child overheats easily I need to buy a portable room air conditioner we all sleep in the same room and no matter if the air unit is working it will still be too hot for my child to sleep well fans dont help either as far as your childs back pay it&#039;s only 1600 I was told if it were a large sum it would be in a dedicated account for medical etc but since it&#039;s only 1600 it can be in a separate account and just have to save all receipts and report at the end of the yr your better off calling your worker than asking here I&#039;m sure it would be fine to pay bills

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!