Direct Deposit

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/14/2011 - 09:15

I currently receive SSI for my middle son, it comes to me in the form of a check. How do I get this to be direct deposit into my checking account?

Shirley (not verified)
Tue, 10/27/2015 - 18:49 Permalink

I have direct deposit for my disability but I want to close that account and open a new one and still have direct deposit at a new bank how do I do this

Permiqua peters (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Thu, 07/27/2017 - 10:48 Permalink

Okay I had direct deposit from social security coming from my old account I waited until the end of the month to tell them I have a new account. So I gave them my new account number they told me that it was already to late and they would start sending it to my new account in September so does that mean my benefits I get for aug they be sending it to my old account stil


In reply to by Permiqua peters (not verified)

Thu, 07/27/2017 - 15:01 Permalink

Hi there,
It would seem they're sending it to your old account, I would make sure to keep it open until you can confirm they are sending money into the new account.

Permiqua peters (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Thu, 07/27/2017 - 22:01 Permalink

They told me that thier where already sent told old account and that in September it will start coming to my new account . I just hope tigers no problem with me trying to get my benefits for aug since I don't have that account. Hopefully my bank can transfer the money to my new account

Donna (not verified)
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 02:46 Permalink

I changed the direct deposits of my benefit earlier this month, and I was told I was in time for it to take effect in November. It is currently 11:45 PM MST (Arizona), and the SSI benefits would already be showing in my old direct deposit account. However, it is not showing in either the old, or the new direct deposit account. Can someone tell me why this might be?

Donna (not verified)
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 02:53 Permalink

This is only my opinion, based on my observation: Shouldn't this question be removed, or at least not have the number 1 spot, because it was posted in April of 2011, and the questions following it have been posted much more recently? At first glance, having that ancient question as number 1 makes the page seem completely unattended, and any information on it, questionable. It also makes this site seem very outdated, and if the page and site are attended, and up to date, that would be unfortunate. Thank you.


In reply to by Donna (not verified)

Fri, 10/30/2015 - 09:38 Permalink

Hi Donna,
You are certainly correct. We had a thriving forum with over 16,000 posts, but we recently had to completely redo our site and transfer all of the content from one site to another. This process took a team of eight people over a week to do, and that was just for the site's content (2700 pages). Due to the sheer volume of topics, we did not have the time to upload all of the comments users entered, only the forum topics.

Billy Bob Robertson (not verified)
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 14:29 Permalink

Well it's now confirmed.. Some of the people who work at the Social Security Office in Gallatin are indeed nothing but &@*#$&*@#!! It's apparently not enough that no one is getting a cost of living increase in 2016 from social security, now some wiseass there has also decided to TAKE money from handicapped people drawing SSI. Great job @#*&$@$.. Thinking about bringing the major news agency in on this crap.. They messed up and now someone there responsible for doing that is only out to try saving their job or job advancement at the expense of a wheelchair bound person who now is being forced to decide between paying her rent or electric bill because she no longer gets enough to pay both..


In reply to by Billy Bob Robertson (not verified)

Fri, 10/30/2015 - 16:15 Permalink

Hi Billy Bob,
It's definitely a hardship for everyone. Hopefully the SSA can figure something out so those who need benefits can get help.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:41 Permalink

Hello, I receive SSI paymennts for myself and my daughter, and I just called the Social Security Administration office and told them, that I wanted Direct Deposit. They will send you a card and deposit all of your benefits on the card. After you receive the card, you will be asked activate your card and to set your pen number. It has worked great for us! DR

Ena Griffin (not verified)

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Sun, 11/08/2015 - 12:09 Permalink

Hello. I signed up for the direct express card and the money was still sent to a closed account. Can you please tell me how long it took you to get your card after contacting ssa? Thanks so much

Jill (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:41 Permalink

I want to find out if my bank account has been changed, where my disability check has been direct deposited? It was to be sent to M and T Bank in Waynesboro, Pa, but was supposed to be changed to Bulldog Federal Credit Union, in Hagerstown, Md... has this been done? I did leave 2 messages on voice mail.

Molly (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

Hello Jill,
We are not the Social Security Administration and unfortunately we don't control direct deposit. I suggest that you check with the Social Security Representative who handles your case. If he or she does not respond to your messages, you might want to arrange an appointment to speak to them in person. I hope this helps!

Doug (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

To help answer some of the questions that have come in to us about how the SSA is handling the switch to Direct Deposit payments for SSDI and SSI benefits, we have recently posted an article in our blog about switching disability benefit payments to direct deposit.
There is information on direct deposit, as well as how the switch affects people receiving disability benefits and what the various options are for receiving payments.
I hope this is helpful,

Patrick (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

My brother has his SSI on direct deposit and has been paying fees for cash withdrawls at the ATM's> Is there free ATM's ? and which ones don't charge transaction fees? thanks

Molly C (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

Hi Patrick, this will depend on the bank that your brother has his account with.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:43 Permalink

I would like to change my sons direct deposit to another bank. I am unable to set up an online account such as I have since he is under the age of 18. Is the only option to call? I hate waiting on hold and I don't have the info for our representative anymore. Any suggestions on how i can change his bank info only online? Thanks!

Brittany (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:43 Permalink

Hello my mother gets ssi direct deposit and she's wanting to.switch her bank accounts how long does it take to.transfer from one bank to another? Will she still receive her payment on time or.will there be a delay?

Igg (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:43 Permalink

Hello Brittany, I would suggest that your mother contacts the bank to find out the information as to how long it will take to switch banks. However, before doing so, she should contact the SSA and let them know of her situation. The SSA can be contacted at 1-800-772-1213.

Danielle (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:44 Permalink

My fiance which lives with me gets a check each month which goes to his mom's account and he doesn't even get 1/2 how and can I get it in my name

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:44 Permalink

Hi Danielle,
You need to call the SSA representative who handles your case to change the representative payee to yourself instead of his mom. You can also report that he doesn't receive all of his money to the SSA--they will change his payee immediately if she is committing fraud. Good luck.

Delia (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:45 Permalink

My Aung is taking my check away from me wat can i do to get my check on my name

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:45 Permalink

Hi Delia,
This will depend on why your aunt is your representative payee. If you did not receive your own check because you were under 18 but are old enough now, you may be able to receive your own checks now. If you believe your condition has improved enough so that you can handle your own payments, you may go to your local SSA office to fill out paperwork that will allow you to start receiving your own checks. Keep in mind that if you do start getting your own checks, the SSA will likely re-evaluate you to make sure that you are disabled enough to receive disability benefits at all. This is especially true if you were approved for a mental disorder.

Judy (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:48 Permalink

I want to know if my son benefits are directed to my card.

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:48 Permalink

Hi Judy,
The benefits will be deposited into whatever account you gave the SSA when you applied for benefits. Keep in mind that if your son is a minor receiving SSI, you should have a dedicated account to keep track of how you spend the money. The SSA may disqualify your son for benefits if you do not keep careful track of how his benefits are spent.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:52 Permalink

My mother needs to move to Texas with me Iam her daughter she can no longer take care off herself she wants me to switch her sis to my account how do I go about it

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:52 Permalink

Hi there,
It is pretty simple to switch representative payees, but you have to do it in person. You should call 1-800-772-1213 to make an appointment with your local SSA office to file the paperwork.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:52 Permalink

Can I open a mySSA account for my child? Who is under 18

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:53 Permalink

Hi there, I'm sorry, but a mySSA account must be for people age 18 and over.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:53 Permalink

have direct deposit for my son's ssi, I usually get his benefits 5 days before the first of the month, I have not received his benifits yet could this be because I switched banks?

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:54 Permalink

Hi there,
This is most likely the reason, unless your son recently turned 18 and was re-evaluated for disability benefits. I would wait a full month before contacting the SSA. If you still haven't received anything by then, I would contact the representative who handles your case.

Kelley (not verified)
Wed, 12/23/2015 - 12:39 Permalink

My Dad closed his bank account where his SSA DD went. This over a month ago. He set up a new DD account on the SSA online website. The change was supposed to take place on November 30th, however his DD was sent to the closed account. How long will it take to get his money for this month?


In reply to by Kelley (not verified)

Tue, 12/29/2015 - 09:21 Permalink

Hi Kelley,
The next time SSDI funds will be released will be on the second Wednesday in January, so that is hopefully when it'll happen.

Brittney (not verified)
Thu, 12/24/2015 - 00:43 Permalink

Will direct deposit for ssi payments come before January 1, 2016 and if so what date?

KB (not verified)
Tue, 12/29/2015 - 14:41 Permalink

Hi I will start back recieving benfits for my child "Jan 2016" I found out today her account has closed. I'm sure it's too late to make any changes. My questions are, "Where would her benefits go? Will it come back to you guys, and she'll receive an paper check?


In reply to by KB (not verified)

Wed, 12/30/2015 - 09:47 Permalink

Hi KB,
I'm not sure what you mean when you say her account has closed. Do you mean her bank account? Or her Social Security application? We are NOT affiliated with the SSA so I would call them at 1-800-772-1213 to find out more about your situation.

Douglas C Hutton (not verified)
Wed, 12/30/2015 - 16:06 Permalink

What's the date for direct depotit for jan2016

Tired (not verified)
Wed, 02/10/2016 - 02:18 Permalink

I have a minor savings account for my son. Can I have my tax refund sent there direct deposit

Elaine (not verified)
Sat, 02/13/2016 - 17:11 Permalink

I currently receive social security disability benefits directly deposited into my checking account. I just found out that my checking account has been closed since 2/4/16. My benefits are due to be deposited directly this Wednesday the 17th into that account. I also currently have an open savings account under the same member number with routing number. I called my bank and spoke to three different customer service reps. The last two informed me that there is a chance that my benefits could be rerouted into my savings account since my checking account was closed but there would be no way to know until Wednesday (when the deposit is due.) Do you have any information or have you heard about any situations similar to mine. The checking and savings account is register to the same member number but they do have different account numbers. The reps told me that they have heard of the money being put into the other open account. Thank you


In reply to by Elaine (not verified)

Tue, 02/16/2016 - 17:06 Permalink

Hi Eliane,
This is actually a pretty specific question that unfortunately only your bank representatives will know the answer to (even though it sounds like they aren't so sure themselves!). You may be able to go to to check out your My SSA account and see if you can edit the bank settings there.

Deborah (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 09:28 Permalink

How do I call to see about my ssi check if my account has closed


In reply to by Deborah (not verified)

Fri, 03/04/2016 - 15:45 Permalink

Hi Deborah,
You would have to call the SSA at 1800-772-1213 to inform them about you account closing.

Bobby (not verified)
Wed, 02/24/2016 - 19:38 Permalink

If they say the money is in the payment center how long before it's deposited!..Thanks in advance...


In reply to by Bobby (not verified)

Fri, 03/04/2016 - 15:49 Permalink

Hi Bobby,
I'm not sure when, but your check should be deposited at the same time every month.

Add new comment