You are here

Do I qualify for the little person disability at 4'11"

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Do I qualify for the little person disability at 4'11"

I am 4' 11" tall and i am wondering if I qualify for disability?

Lynda adair
I'm only 4'5 but

I'm only 4'5 but have No health problems besides thyroid and cholesterol.do qualify for a disability?

Hi Lynda,

Hi Lynda,
It sounds like your health issues are managed, so no, unless you are ill and actually unable to work, you will not qualify. Being shorter than most people does not make you disabled.

Anonymous
Is 4"11 considered a

Is 4"11 considered a midget

D
Hi there, first off, &quot

Hi there, first off, "little person" is the non-offensive and socially correct term. I went ahead and changed the title of this thread, because obviously someone who was previously moderating the forum did not catch it. Dwarfism is a medical condition. It is a genetic disorder that can be determined by genetic testing. More often than not, people with dwarfism have proportional torsos, but smaller arms and legs. Dwarfism can be passed on to children genetically. Typically, the threshold for Dwarfism is 4'10" and lower, but a smaller height alone is NOT the same thing as having dwarfism, and some dwarves are taller than 4"10. Someone who is 4"11 but was not diagnosed with dwarfism by a doctor at a young age is just short. Unless that person had a real disability, there is no way a height of 4"11 would qualify anyone for SSD benefits.

Barry Brooks
Unemployed and unable to work

Unemployed and unable to work with injury to my body and some mental condiction, past problems with dealing with depression. And not likeing being around people that i do not know or share my time of day with.

Hi Barry,

Hi Barry,
You probably cannot get approved because you do not like people. You'd need to be able to prove that your mental disability is so severe, you cannot work with people, regardless of how hard you try.

Melissa
Are there any type of

Are there any type of disability benefits I qualify for?

Potentially, but what is your

Potentially, but what is your disability? If you are simply under 4'11 and do not have a disability, you will not qualify for benefits.

Anonymous
My daughter has

My daughter has neurofibromatosis (NF1) which includes a learning disability and anxiety along with a short stature. She is 16 years old and has struggled through school so far. Is there something she qualifies for?

Hi there,

Hi there,
She could potentially qualify for benefits, but I think it would be challenging. This is because she is still in school now. If she wasn't able to attend school at all due to her learning disabilities, I would highly recommend applying. There is nothing that she specifically qualifies for. She'll need to have a therapist or doctor full out a functional report listing the activities she's unable to do to potentially qualify for benefits.

Patti
I am 4 ft 9 1/2 inches tall.

I am 4 ft 9 1/2 inches tall. I have flat feet, plantar fascitis, and arthritis. I am also having some kind of heart issues that are still ongoing, the doctor is still sending me for tests. Do I qualify for a disability?

Hi Patti,

Hi Patti,
Your height will not affect your claim, but you could qualify due to your other disabilities. I would recommend waiting until your doctor's tests are in, then applying for disability benefits. You can get in contact with someone who can help you by filling out the form to the left of the page.

Steph
I am 16 years old and i am 4&

I am 16 years old and i am 4'11" i am extremely flat footed, have a bad back, and i have really bad depression and anxiety, my anxiety often prevents me from doing everyday things as little as purchasing things from a store or talking on the phone. Do I qualify for any benefits?

Hi Steph,

Hi Steph,
I would not be able to say for sure if you qualify because I don't work for the SSA.
However, if you are experiencing anxiety that badly, it may be worth your time to apply for benefits.

lisa meldrum
I was wondering what do I

I was wondering what do I qualify I've also had scoliosis my whole entire life and it's hard for me to get through life like this because I'm in pain all the time

Hi Lisa,

Hi Lisa,
I do not believe scoliosis qualifies as a disabling condition, but if you can prove to the SSA that you are in so much pain that you cannot work, you could qualify for benefits. I'd recommend speaking with a qualified attorney or advocate here: http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/form/free-disability-evaluation

Anonymoous
Im 4/8 and I have

Im 4/8 and I have hypertension and arthritis what I qualify for disability

Hi,

Hi,
We are not affiliated with the SSA so I could not say for sure, but you may want to apply based off of those other conditions. You might want to speak with a lawyer about the application process, if you fill out the form in this link below we can have a disability advocate or lawyer reach out to you.
http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/form/free-disability-evaluation

Gregory
I currently am getting

I currently am getting disability. My wife recently died. Am I entitled to any of her benefits. I made more money than she did.

Hi Gregory,

Hi Gregory,
I am sorry for your loss.
If you had made more money than your wife, then you may not be eligible for survivor's benefits because you would receive a larger benefit based off of your own work record than her's.

Ruby
I'm 4' 9" I

I'm 4' 9" I have two bulged disks, one torn disk, spinal stunious ,back problems, bad knees. could I get any kind of help. with funds to pay for meds.

Hi Ruby,

Hi Ruby,
It might be a good idea to apply for disability. Since the denial rate is so high, you might need someone to represent you as well. If you fill out the assessment on the left of this page or here:
We can can have a disability advocate or attorney reach out to you.

Michelle
I am 4 foot 10 inches tall. I

I am 4 foot 10 inches tall. I have extreme migraines, bipolar, and I can not keep a job because of the anxiety that comes all g with it. Should I presue disability? I'm close to thirty and feel broken and useful, I've been a Cna and my back is blown.
Would appreciate feedback

Hi Michelle,

Hi Michelle,
It may be a good idea to file. You may want to speak with a disability advocate or lawyer though, if you fill out the form on the left on this page or go here:

Michelle
My 15 year old has multiple

My 15 year old has multiple severe life threatening food allergies. She is only able to eat what I prepare. Does she quality for benefits?

Hi Michelle,

Hi Michelle,
Your child may qualify for benefits if those allergies create other conditions that would be considered disabling by the SSA.

anonymous
Hi, I'm legally 4&#039

Hi, I'm legally 4'11 and I'm 23 yes old, can I claim little person disability?
And am I concerned handicapped?

Hi there,

Hi there,
You might not be considered disabled unless your height would cause problems that would lead you to be unable to work.

matt nelson
I have a life of being locked

I have a life of being locked up and cant seem to function in society or find a job do to cant be comfortable with other races around me ,any way to get ssi early

Hi Matt,

Hi Matt,
If you've got medical records stating that you are unable to work full time, you may be able to get disability benefits. However, if there is no medical record of a disability, you may not be eligible for benefits.

Petty D
Am I considered a midget at

Am I considered a midget at my height. of 4'10 in a half

Hi Petty D,

Hi Petty D,
I would say not because many people consider the word "midget" offensive. However reaching a height of no more than four feet, ten inches may mean that you have dwarfism.

Wendy
My 12 y/o daughter is 4&#039

My 12 y/o daughter is 4'8", has autism and anxiety. She is otherwise in perfect health. I am 4'11" and am just able to reach the pedals in my car/truck and can bRely see over the hood of the car (with a cushion). I am concerned that she will have worse problems in a standard car. I don't know if there are vehicles that are specially made for this issue. Does she qualify for any benefits toward this "disability" for lack of a better term? Or at least entitled to certain benefits toward a car to fit her needs?

Hi Wendy,

Hi Wendy,
if her condition is severe enough to impede normal function, she may be eligible for benefits. As far as a specialized car goes, she may be able to use any benefit funds she is eligible for to purchase such a car.

Susan
At 4'6" am I

At 4'6" am I considered a little person at 53 yrs old

Hi Susan,

Hi Susan,
You may be, but to be eligible for benefits it would have to cause health problems that would impede your ability to work.

Add new comment