SSI change payee

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 03/10/2016 - 15:08

I am homeless and my payee is not paying my rent as he promise

Cooper (not verified)
Mon, 05/23/2016 - 20:40 Permalink

My step daughter has agreed to take care of her minor brother who recieves a monthly benefit. Her mother has told her she would allow her to become his payee but claims that she failed to report a changebof address and jow will miss one month of benefits. This is suspicious because the mother is moving out of state in a couple of weeks and we believe she may be lying to her daughter in order to use the money for herself. How can my step daughter find out if her brothers benefit was stopped as the mother claims. And how would she become her brothers payee if her mother is lying?


In reply to by Cooper (not verified)

Tue, 05/24/2016 - 09:24 Permalink

Hi Cooper,
I would contact the SSA and inquire if the payments would be stopped, at that time you can also have your stepdaughter become her brother's payee by asking them to change his payee.

Robin (not verified)
Mon, 09/12/2016 - 09:56 Permalink

My daughter receives SSI from her father who is retired and I need to change her payee and direct deposit.

john smith (not verified)
Mon, 11/14/2016 - 12:13 Permalink

how do I change my payee,when she cant leave the house do to a recient health issue.can I do it on line or over the phone?

daniel hardwick (not verified)
Sat, 02/11/2017 - 14:01 Permalink

my mom is my payee but shes never gives me
any spending money i feel like its not fair to go around town without money to have
a life im so depressd





In reply to by daniel hardwick (not verified)

Mon, 02/13/2017 - 16:54 Permalink

Hi Daniel,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to contact the SSA and have a payee re-assigned if she is not using the funds according to the SSA's guidelines.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 03/28/2017 - 13:15 Permalink

How can I pay you if Mapei is not giving me all my money and she using it to buy drugs

Raymond hill (not verified)
Wed, 04/26/2017 - 22:56 Permalink

Just got joint custody of my 12 year old son making me primary custodial parent, my son receivespends ssi his mom is currently the payee,what can I do ,


In reply to by Raymond hill (not verified)

Thu, 04/27/2017 - 15:33 Permalink

Hi Raymond,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, you can reach them by phone at 1-800-772-1213.

Ignacio chavez (not verified)
Wed, 01/10/2018 - 10:52 Permalink

Im 17 years old my grandmas my payee and she Don't give me a dollar out of it for the past 7 months what do I do to change my payee ASAP im homeless right now

Margaret Thomas (not verified)
Thu, 02/01/2018 - 13:47 Permalink

Need help!
My dad will not sign papers taking away his right as payee for my brother. He's spending all his money and not doing the right thing for my brother's well being.. What can we do now?


In reply to by Margaret Thomas (not verified)

Fri, 02/02/2018 - 09:22 Permalink

Hi Margaret,

I am sorry to hear that. You may want to schedule an appointment at your local SSA office and speak with a representative from there.

Brenda (not verified)
Thu, 03/22/2018 - 15:27 Permalink

I have my nephews ex-wife and 4 children living with me they are homeless. Their oldest son receives ssi benefits. For that past 4 months my nephew who is their sons payee has received the ssi check and has not paid anything towards their sons cost of living expense. I took her to ssi office and they wont do anything unless my nephew contacts them and changes it to his ex - wife being the payee since she has the child and he doesn't. Ofcourse my nephew is not willing to do that even though he does not have the child and she does. So on the 1st of the month my nephew will receive the benefits. I have $648 electric bill since the family has been living with me that I can't pay on my own. Also their son needs shoes for school and other things! It doesn't seem right? What can she do?


In reply to by Brenda (not verified)

Thu, 03/22/2018 - 15:30 Permalink

Hi Brenda,

You could become the representative payee yourself, you would need permission from that child though. I would speak with a representative at your local SSA office regarding this situation. Wishing you and your family nothing but the best.

Jessica (not verified)
Wed, 04/18/2018 - 11:06 Permalink

My disabled son who is 6years old gets SSI I'm his mother and had always been his payee my child's grandmother obtained my son's social security income by changing his representative payee without me knowing now how do I go about changing my child's social security benefits back to me as his payee

jade cox (not verified)
Fri, 04/20/2018 - 11:40 Permalink

how long does it take to change ur payee to someone else when ur gonna b moving soon and want a new payee


In reply to by jade cox (not verified)

Fri, 04/20/2018 - 13:13 Permalink

Hi Jade,

I am not sure about the timeframe, but I would contact the SSA as soon as you can so nothing is delayed. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213 to change your payee.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 08/08/2018 - 21:22 Permalink

My mother is my payee and she has become ill with dementia. She lives in Maryland and i am in Las Vegas Nv. Im having difgiculty getting her to send my money. What should i do?

Angela Oneil (not verified)
Mon, 03/18/2019 - 12:55 Permalink

I want John Mynk remove from being my payee cause his going to gamble my money and I won't have anything left. So I want to be my own payee. And I want to be really responsible for my own money


In reply to by Angela Oneil (not verified)

Mon, 03/18/2019 - 16:46 Permalink

Hi Angela,

To change your payee, you need to visit your local SSA office and do so in person. I would make an appointment before going.

Sam (not verified)
Mon, 08/12/2019 - 18:53 Permalink

How long do I have to wait to change my check to my name and not a payee?


In reply to by Sam (not verified)

Tue, 08/13/2019 - 16:07 Permalink

Hi Sam,

If you have already gone through the process of changing your payee with the SSA it usually takes about a month. Contact your local SSA office if the change takes significantly longer than that.

Patricia H. (not verified)
Mon, 08/12/2019 - 19:13 Permalink

I would like to have my payee removed and have my money put in my own name, How do I go about doing this?

Kathryn H (not verified)
Tue, 08/20/2019 - 03:12 Permalink

I have a representative payee and last month I told her I was moving on the 31st and me and my kids being right in our new home on 1st of August and I told her that housing was paying most of the deposit and she said okay keep me informed so when I found out what my share was for my deposit for the place I told her she said I needed the new lease from the landlord so she can pay my part of my deposit I was like okay so my landlord said okay I will send it to her. So I called her and she didn’t answer the phone and, I left a massage telling her that we move in our place on August 1st and gave her my new address and gave her my new landlord name and number and let her know what my share of rent is. I have least left her with five massages and she hasn’t answered my calls back and my new landlord said he got housing share of the deposit but hasn’t receive my share from my payee. I have called social security office we’re I had originally filled for disability and told them I needed to let them know my change of address and they said my payee is supposed to do that but she hasn’t done a thing and my new landlord wants the money now and I have four kids to keep a roof over there head and one of them is also on ssi and has the same payee as me. I’m in a panic because I don’t need a eviction and can’t be homeless with four kids I do not have no family or friends here and I just don’t know what to do. Please help.


In reply to by Kathryn H (not verified)

Wed, 08/21/2019 - 12:45 Permalink

Hi Kathryn,

I am sorry to hear that. To change your payee you will have to make an appointment with your local SSA office and do it in person. If necessary they will investigate the situation. Definitely make an appointment as soon as possible.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 02/13/2020 - 09:38 Permalink

Hi i have cancer I made her dad the payee now I'm divorcing him , can I change it?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Thu, 02/13/2020 - 12:20 Permalink

Hi There,

You can change your payee but going to down an SSA office. If you have someone in mind as your new payee, you should try to have them come with you. They will need their Social Security card and a photo ID. If you don't have someone new to be your payee, the SSA can assign one to you.

Heavenly (not verified)
Sun, 02/23/2020 - 11:11 Permalink

I no longer need a payee how do I take care of it without my current payee knowing?

Heavenly (not verified)
Sun, 02/23/2020 - 11:19 Permalink

I no longer need a payee how do I take care of it without my current payee knowing? He won't give me any money, keeps my food card won't let me eat. I look like I'm dying I'm always hungry, broke and have to ask permission for everything, I'm 34yrs


In reply to by Heavenly (not verified)

Fri, 02/28/2020 - 12:31 Permalink

Hi Heavenly, If you need to change or appoint a new rep payee, you will have to go to your Social Security Administration field office and request a change of payee.


In reply to by Heavenly (not verified)

Fri, 02/28/2020 - 12:31 Permalink

Hi Heavenly, If you need to change or appoint a new rep payee, you will have to go to your Social Security Administration field office and request a change of payee.

michelle headley (not verified)
Mon, 06/22/2020 - 12:26 Permalink

how do I make my sister the payee.


In reply to by michelle headley (not verified)

Fri, 06/26/2020 - 14:43 Permalink

Hi Michelle,

You will need to do so at an SSA office and will need your Social Security card and a picture ID. SSA offices are closed right now due to COVID-19, so I would call the SSA to see if you can make an appointment to change her payee.

Add new comment