From April 27th 2022 most Social Security offices commenced offering their face-to-face services again. This includes attending an office without arranging a prior appointment. If you prefer, you do not have to file your application for social security benefits online. if you already have an appointment, would like to speak to an agent, or wish to cancel or change an appointment date, you may do this by calling your closest Social Security office or the following number between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday to Friday: 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)
How to Find the Social Security Administration Office Nearest to You
If you don’t already know the address of your local social security office you can find this information on the Social Security Administration's (SSA’s) website at www.ssa.gov
Steps to follow:
- At the top right-hand corner of the website you need to click “Menu.”
- On the left of the menu you click “Contact Us.”
- On this page, click on the "Find an Office" link.
- You then need to type in your zip code.
The zip code you have typed will provide the local address for your social security office, opening hours, telephone number, toll-free number, and driving directions to reach the office.
If you don’t wish to file your application for benefits online, or for any reason you would like to speak to an agent, you can call the following number to schedule, alter, or cancel an appointment by: 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Friday.
How to Get Help With Your Claim
The SSA’s website at www.ssa.gov provides useful information to help you with your claim.
However, if you are unable to find the help you need from the website, call your local Social Security office or the national 800 number (1-800-772-1213) from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. local time. If you are able to call the National 800 Number between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. local time, you can expect a quicker response.
If no one is available to help you when you call the local office or 800 number, you can expect an appointment to be made face-to-face at your local office or by phone. There are some delays due to the limit of the number of agents available at any one time to assist you.
What you should do before you visit
You are expected to consider the following:
- Provide a self-assessment checklist so you can decide if it is safe for you to attend an office.
- Everyone is required to wear a mask and if you do not possess one you will be handed one on arrival. Hand sanitizer is made available for your use as well.
- If room in the office is limited you may be required to queue outside.
- If you don’t require any assistance and are mobile enough to attend you should come on your own. If you do require help you may have one adult attend with you and children are also welcome too.
- If you haven’t arranged an appointment in advance queues may be long typically just after a federal holiday and the 1st week of each month.
Get Help With Your Claim
It is in your best interest to arrange a meeting with a Social Security attorney before you file a claim for disability benefits. This helps to ensure you are eligible to receive disability benefits. Your lawyer may be able to assist you to gather the evidence you need to support your claim, as well as ensuring your claim is filed before the deadline.
Fill out the Free Case Evaluation today.
- Do I Have to go to the Social Security Office to Apply for Benefits?
- Why Might I Have to Apply in Person?