Tax Resources For Those On Disability Benefits

Submitted by rsg on

If you're receiving disability benefits, there are various tax resources available to help you navigate the tax filing process and understand the tax implications of your benefits. 

Here's a list of valuable tax resources for those on disability benefits:

  1. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Website: The IRS website offers a wealth of information, tax forms, publications, and resources for individuals with disabilities.
  2. Publication 907 - Tax Highlights for Persons with Disabilities: This IRS publication provides detailed information on tax benefits and credits available to people with disabilities.
  3. Local IRS Offices: Find and contact your local IRS office for in-person assistance and guidance.
  4. Free File Program: The IRS provides free tax filing software and services for eligible individuals, including those with lower incomes or disabilities.
  5. Tax Preparation Software: Popular tax software providers like TurboTax, H&R Block, and TaxAct offer specific guidance and features for individuals with disabilities.
  6. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA): VITA offers free tax help to individuals with disabilities and those with low to moderate income. Check the IRS website for VITA locations near you.
  7. Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE): TCE provides free tax assistance for seniors and often includes assistance for individuals with disabilities.
  8. Disability Advocacy Organizations: Organizations such as the National Disability Rights Network (NDRN) and Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) may offer guidance on tax-related issues for individuals with disabilities.
  9. State Tax Agencies: State-specific tax agencies often provide resources and information on state-level tax benefits and credits for individuals with disabilities.
  10. Local Community Centers: Many community centers offer assistance with tax preparation and may be familiar with the unique needs of individuals with disabilities.
  11. Social Security Administration (SSA): The SSA can provide information on the taxability of Social Security disability benefits and provide benefit statements. The SSA will mail you a form (SSA-1099) in January. It will have the amount you've received in benefits the previous year so you can properly report to the IRS. If you have questions about your 1099, you can contact the SSA. 
  12. Tax Professional: Consider consulting a tax professional or enrolled agent who specializes in tax matters related to disability benefits.
  13. IRS Helpline: You can contact the IRS by phone for tax-related questions at 800-829-1040. Those that are hard of hearing or deaf can call 800-829-4059.
  14. Tax Publications and Guides: Look for specific tax guides or publications tailored to disability-related tax concerns, often available on the IRS website.

Filing taxes while receiving disability benefits can be challenging and confusing. When seeking assistance or information about taxes and disability benefits, it's important to use reliable and official sources to ensure accuracy and compliance with tax laws. If you have specific questions or concerns, talking with a tax professional or advisor may be the best course of action.

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!