Winning benefits on the basis of low productivity (due to LD + MH issues)

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I applied for SSI, and was told that I have a very low chance of winning because I'm a college student. My lawyer told me that it is rare for students to be granted benefits since taking coursework demonstrates to the SSA that I would be capable of working (nevermind the fact that I'm only taking two classes!). While I tried taking more than two classes in the past this was difficult due to interference from my learning disability, as well as mental breakdowns. Inevitably, I'd have to withdraw from class--obviously, taking two months off of work each time I have a mental health incident is not an option. I have managed to get a decent GPA, but I hope the SSA doesn't assume a 3.8 means I can work full time. Currently I am employed on a part-time basis, and can only handle eight hours per week. In the past I tried to work 20+ hours, which resulted in an emergency mental health evaluation and a four month health leave. Can I work? Yes. But can I support myself if I cannot stay continuously employed! Of course not.

An additional concern I have is that I cannot keep up with the pace of a workplace. In college I get accommodations like extra time on exams, but in the working world I have found accommodations still are not enough for meet to meet productivity standards. (For instance, employers offer me extra training, and I still cannot complete tasks quickly enough). My ADHD affects my ability to follow through with even the simplest of tasks: bagging groceries, filing folders, making phone calls, etc. I had read somewhere that if an employee's productivity is compromised 15-20% that he/she can qualify for SSI. Is this true? If so, how can I go about proving this challenge?

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!