Approved For SSDI - A few questions

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

In 2011 my husband was in military and applied for ssdi. It was expedited due to military status and the claim was denied and we did not appeal decision. In Feb. 2015, he applied again. We spoke with a local SSA rep yesterday and she said they had gotten claim back from quality assurance in NY and claimed closed he was approved for the ssdi. She said there was a mistake that had to be corrected and it would be going to payment processing. The mistake being he should not have been denied in 2011 so the onset date needed to be changed accordingly. She said this was not bad for us but meant there would be a large amount of back pay due. We have one son home with us and my stepson lives with his mother. She said she needed his contact info as he would of been a minor in 2011 and benefits for the children needed to be determined.

So now questions:

Does this mean the children would of been or currently eligible for a payment from the SSA?

If so, will theirs be a separate payment?

Will the children's payment reduce my husbands payment?

After reaching the payment processing, how long before we should expect to see monthly benefit start and receive the back pay?

Will back pay be made in a lump sum payment?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions?

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!