Would I Qualify if I have Retinitis Pigentosa with Hearing Loss

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I am 55 and was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa with hearing loss at 50. I have hearing aids. I feel that my vision is ok during the day, but there are times when I trip over things or bump into people/objects, which I have learned to move alittle slower now. Also, was advised by doctor to not drive at night. As a manager, I am required to have open availability and work any shifts. I do drive, (against doctors wishes to drive at night)... but if it rains at night, I struggle terribly, since the rain causes such glare and everything is so much harder to see.
I work retail, and it involves alot of using registers, scanners, forklifts, computers, as well as alot of verbal/visual communication. Sometimes, I feel I am ok and can work, then there are days when I seem to struggle, not hearing correctly, or bump or trip into things or people. This is a degenerative progressive disease..and just not sure if I should start some kind of disablity process, or just wait it out. Retail is all I've ever done.
Would appreciate a response.
Thank You.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!