Denied SSDI benifits, Not provided forms in my native language.

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I am a 53 year old man that has always worked. I gained an astonishingly diverse amount of skillsets. I had been working hurt for twelve years with serious lack of blood flow to my legs almost loosing half of my left foot in 2005. After many years as a millwright I no longer could stand the pain endured doing that type of work. I have been forced To move to Puerto Rico where my wife and I own property without a mortgage. I used the last of my savings to make the move. I have been reduced to Food Stamps and the charity of others, thank God for good karma, to keep the lights on and water flowing. I applied for SSDI and was denied though I met Social Security Guideline Standards. During the initial application process I received correspondence in Spanish, not my native language. I made several request that all correspondence be sent in English. After each request documents were still sent in Spanish. Six months after applying for "reconsideration" I now, again, receive documents in Spanish. I struggled through on the initial application trying to translate the documents, but answered in English. I have found that the initial case and the reconsideration are being handled by case workers in Puerto Rico. I have tried for months to communicate with the local Disability office, by phone, the only means of contact. I have never been able to contact them. I spent six hours in the SS office to have a worker there send an email requesting correspondence be in English. Clearly Social Security is in violation of their own "Plain Language Act of 2010". At this point I don't know what to do or where to turn. I have developed major depression, anxiety and have been hospitalized with suicidal tendencies. I absolutely can't withstand another year of this. Please, someone help I don't Know what to do and I'm hanging by a string.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!