Direct Deposit

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/14/2011 - 09:15

I currently receive SSI for my middle son, it comes to me in the form of a check. How do I get this to be direct deposit into my checking account?


In reply to by Sharon Cochran (not verified)

Fri, 02/17/2017 - 10:33 Permalink

Hi Sharon,
You may want to give them your new bank's information, however do not close your other bank account until you can confirm that the SSA has deposited funds into the new bank account.

Georgie Hollenbeck (not verified)
Fri, 02/17/2017 - 18:40 Permalink

Will my direct deposit to my bank account come a few days early like it did to my accountnow card?

Sue honaker (not verified)
Sat, 02/25/2017 - 01:12 Permalink

I accidentally had my tax return but in mine any my son acct i am his payee will this affect him


In reply to by Sue honaker (not verified)

Wed, 03/01/2017 - 10:21 Permalink

Hi Sue,
It may not affect him, however it may be a good idea to make sure that any money he receives as benefits stays separate from other funds.

Stephanie r.dziwik (not verified)
Tue, 02/28/2017 - 17:00 Permalink

My bank account recently can I receive my monthly SSI check. They probably tried to send it to my old Bank.Where does go after that

Rolando (not verified)
Wed, 03/22/2017 - 20:41 Permalink

If I closed my bank account with direct deposit and I open on the same bank with a different account can my check be send there instead of the old account.


In reply to by Rolando (not verified)

Thu, 03/23/2017 - 16:48 Permalink

Hi Ronaldo,

Yes, you can but you have to let the SSA know that you changed banks and would like to have the direct deposit into your new account at your new bank. You can call them at this number: 1-800-772-1213

Best Wishes,

Ashley Thornberry (not verified)
Tue, 03/28/2017 - 19:15 Permalink

I recieve ssi and ssdi and was given a rep payee without my knowledge. I wasn't asked who I would like to be my payee. I was approved for mental and physical disability. Well the mental health place I go to provides me a rental subsidy. The property manager (who depending on his mood is or isn't an authorized rep of the owner. He will repeatedly exclaim he's just the maintance man what do we want him to do then alternatively try to evict people without going to court threaten lockouts taking all property with him. And another maintance man will be the one that signs there notice to quit.) demanded at my lease signing after It was signed and he too the check, that I leave the room and then had a 45 min discussion about me (no release of info was ever signed by me for him). The organization payee I was assigned I have never met, have no communication with. Expects me to be able to buy food and live off $50 a week sometimes I never know what I'll get that week if I even get anything. Meaning I have $50 sometimes to eat for 2-3 weeks. Phone calls don't get returned. No budget was ever set up. He takes 41$ a month for his services. I never agreed to be charged to have a payee or informed I would be charged. In Feb he closed the account my ssi and ssdi payments went into and didn't change the direct deposit info with ssa. Both payments for march were returned an'd as a result my ssi has been suspended due to the March payment being returned. My ssdi was reissued but he never got my ssi reinstated nor the payment reissued. What can I do? For 14 days I recieved no money for food or otherwise. He didn't even notify ssa that he didn't recieve my payment until after the 5th of march. The new account was already opened in the begining of February. He would have known there was a problem the 1st. But did nothing. I couldn't do anything because I don't know the account or routing numbers. I effectively have no way of communicating with him. Phone calls are unanswered and unreturned. My phone was shut off because he decided I don't need it and refused to pay the bill. Now I will only have 190 for food and to live off in April because he won't do anything about my ssi being suspended. I need help.


In reply to by Ashley Thornberry (not verified)

Wed, 03/29/2017 - 09:20 Permalink

Hi Ashley,

I am very sorry to hear that. You may want to get in touch with the SSA, you can do that by calling them at 1-800-772-1213 or by going to

Best Wishes,

Jan (not verified)
Thu, 03/30/2017 - 08:45 Permalink

You can call your social security office and tell them you want a direct deposit for ssi benefit for your midle son. You have to give them your routing number and your checking number to deposit it to your checking account automatically.

Danford K. Boyt III (not verified)
Mon, 04/03/2017 - 20:37 Permalink

I have Direct Express Direct Deposit, but I want to change my direct deposit to Chase Bank.....I already have the routing and account number.


In reply to by Danford K. Boyt III (not verified)

Tue, 04/04/2017 - 11:44 Permalink

Hi Danford,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, we are not affiliated with them or the federal government so we would be unable to alter your banking information with them. You can do so by contacting the SSA at 1-800-772-1213.

Rosy (not verified)
Thu, 04/13/2017 - 20:25 Permalink

So I just started reviving my child's ssdi and she's gotten my past due.Does she need to make dedicated account?

Lisa (not verified)
Tue, 04/18/2017 - 06:04 Permalink

Iam The payee for my son ssi..I just got a direct express Card with my name Do i activate with my information or his??

Martin Ford (not verified)
Sun, 04/23/2017 - 16:05 Permalink

Direct deposit a change ?


In reply to by Martin Ford (not verified)

Mon, 04/24/2017 - 15:54 Permalink

Hi Martin,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this,you can do so by calling them at 1-800-772-1213.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.