Age 18 Redetermination

Submitted by Daniel on Mon, 07/29/2013 - 16:16

The transition from childhood to adulthood is always complicated- especially when it comes to Supplemental Security Income (SSI). In this blog post we’re going to shed some light on this transition period and hopefully erase any confusion surrounding age and childhood SSI benefits. Today’s question is:

If my child is receiving SSI benefits, what will happen when he or she turns 18?

If you have a child under the age of 18 who is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you have probably wondered about the transition from childhood to adulthood. Because certain changes in age, living situation, or financial standing can compromise your child’s benefits, it is important that you are thoroughly prepared for the changes that will occur when your child turns 18.

In the year following your child’s 18th birthday, the SSA will conduct a “redetermination”. Essentially this means that the SSA will evaluate your son or daughter’s condition and finances to determine if he or she qualifies for SSI as an adult.

Adult Standards

When a child applies for SSI, they are evaluated based on how their medical condition affects their ability to perform age appropriate tasks in their daily lives. When an adult applies for SSI, they are evaluated based on their ability to get and maintain a job.

Adults and children have separate medical eligibility requirements. You can access the adult disability listings, here: Adult Blue Book Listings.

When a child under the age of 18 applies for SSI, they are typically subject to parental deeming. Parental deeming is the allocation of a parent’s finances to the child’s record. After a child turns 18, their own finances will be used to determine eligibility—not a parent or guardian’s. In cases where a child earns less than a parent, it is likely that the benefit amount will actually increase.

Redetermination Process

In the months before your child turns 18, the SSA will send your family a letter containing information regarding the redetermination process. You and your child will then be required to attend an interview at your local Social Security Field office. It is important that you collect all relevant medical and financial documents to present to the SSA prior to your scheduled interview. You can find a complete list of necessary documents on the SSA’s Adult Disability Checklist.

At this interview a representative will ask you and your child questions to determine how their condition impairs their ability to work. At this time, you should present all of the documents that you have collected.

Once your have completed the redetermination interview, you will receive a letter containing the SSA’s decision. If your child is approved, he or she will begin to receive payments. If your child is denied, you can appeal this decision.

If you have a question regarding any aspect of Social Security Disability benefits, please leave it in the comment section below and we might answer it in a future blog post.

Blog comments

Anna Mero (not verified)

I am a 56 year old woman receiving Social Security Disability through my own previous work history. I also receive some Social Security Disabilty benefits from my deceased spouse's work history. On Wed I got married.I am reporting my marriage. Will I be told I am no longer eligible to receive the benefits gained from my deceased spouse?

Fri, 07/15/2016 - 20:43 Permalink

In reply to by Anna Mero (not verified)

Hi Anna,
Congratulations! I would contact the SSA to confirm what's going on with your benefits, you can call them at 1-800-772-1213

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 09:49 Permalink
Tanya (not verified)

I am on SSD and medicaid and receive extra help to pay my premiums. I will be getting an inheritance and am aware I don't have to notify SSD. But will I stop getting extra help to pay SSD premiums? I don't know if federal or state helps pay my qualified help.

Sun, 11/27/2016 - 10:26 Permalink
Melissa (not verified)

My child is 17 and this year my job gave us an option to go paperless so I can't send in my paysubs, I called the local off they said they will go by my previous wages, guess my question is if I don't report for a year can they cut her off and take away her medicaid before her 18 birthday and will she have a hard time getting back on when she turns 18? Or when she 18 they just Reevaluate her only.

Thu, 06/08/2017 - 06:34 Permalink

In reply to by Melissa (not verified)

Hi Melissa,
I really could not say if they would cut her off as we are not affiliated with the SSA and I would not have the information to determine that. However, after she turns 18, she can re-apply for benefits as an adult, based on her income and resources rather than her household's.

Thu, 06/08/2017 - 09:00 Permalink
Judy (not verified)

Does an inheritance to an SSI recipient automatically terminate his medical benefits? Inheritance amount approximately $50,000. Is SSI recipient entitled to prepay anything from the amount inherited? For example, rent or utilities or vehicle insurance? Thank you!

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 09:44 Permalink

In reply to by Judy (not verified)

Hi Judy,
It may not, however Medicaid is administered at the state level, and as such the rules vary by state. He may be able to pre-pay some of those items, but it's a good idea to get in touch with the local SSA office regarding this as they'd have detailed information specific to his case.

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 16:40 Permalink
tiffanyleeq@gm… (not verified)

My daughter turns 18 January 20, 2018. When will her benifits end. She is currently enrolled in high school until graduation in May 2018.

Tue, 11/28/2017 - 17:58 Permalink

In reply to by tiffanyleeq@gm… (not verified)


In the year following your child’s 18th birthday, the SSA will conduct a “redetermination”. Essentially this means that the SSA will evaluate your son or daughter’s condition and finances to determine if he or she qualifies for SSI as an adult.

Thu, 11/30/2017 - 09:31 Permalink

In reply to by Jacob (not verified)

Hi Jacob,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, they may be able to give you guidance as to what you would need to do.

Wed, 01/03/2018 - 14:10 Permalink
Sherry Macdonald (not verified)

does my 17 year old autistic son have to go to the ssi office to fill out forms for adult disability or can i do that on his behalf

Mon, 02/19/2018 - 09:11 Permalink
sherry (not verified)

In reply to by Eric

eric are you affiliated with social security and how do u know if i can or cant bring my son with me to the ssa office just checking cause im a nervous wreck i just want to be sure he dont have to go and sit there for hours its no good for him but i cant find anything online saying he doesnt have to go in thank you very much for all your help!!!!

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 06:18 Permalink

In reply to by sherry (not verified)

Hi Sherry,

We aren't affiliated with the SSA, but we help people with questions regarding Social Security benefits and you can absolutely go down to the office with him if you want to. Whatever you think is best and easiest for you and your son.

Good luck!

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 13:53 Permalink
Jule (not verified)

I am a person who has been on disability since i was around 5, and im now 18 and my legal guardian isn't helping me at all with the reapp. I have severe adhd and other mental issues and I'm legally blind. I can't understand how to reapply or obtain the needed information without someone explaining it to me and have tried to ask people to help me but they refuse. I have lack of transportation, so I am unable to go to someone who can help me. I have 2 months before I get out of high school and I have until April 20th to do something, which I don't understand. I'm really lost and have no idea what to do. Any advice?
I need help, asap!

Tue, 03/13/2018 - 09:37 Permalink
Annalee (not verified)

I've received ssi since I was a minor at about the age of 15 give or take, when I turned 18 I did not redetermination and so I got cut off. I did the whole process again as an adult
So my question is since I have been legally disabled since I was a minor child and was not able to work enough for the ssdi work credit does that mean that I am only eligible for SSI?
My disability is a life long condition that doctors think will only get worse over time

Tue, 11/20/2018 - 12:15 Permalink
Lisa (not verified)

My son was on SSI under 18. He was denied the last few years before he turned 18. I want to have him re evaluated as an adult but this is more than 60 days from determination. How do I get him evaluated as an adult.

Tue, 03/31/2020 - 01:49 Permalink

In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Hi Lisa,

If you are no longer able to file an appeal, you can try starting a new application. Now that he is over 18, the Blue Book listing for his condition may have changed, so I would also revisit the Blue Book to make sure there are not addition medical evidence or testing needed for his claim!

Fri, 04/03/2020 - 14:23 Permalink

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!