SSDI length of time for back pay?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 11/18/2012 - 00:19

When I initially met with my attorney, I was told that back pay would go back one year from application, minus 5 months (I had already waited over 2 years to file because I was told I would have "full recovery" after my 2 fusion surgeries). I've received my acceptance letter but not my back pay yet, and during my search for more info on the process I came across a SSDI page stating that even if it takes 24 months for your claim to get approved, you can only receive pay for 12 months. Can anybody help clarify this for me please? Also, I have friends who received their back pay before or immediately after their approval letters (NY), but I've seen posts by people saying it took several months so I was wondering if there was a formula for when I can expect mine? I'm not looking to go on a spending spree, but I have a mortgage, car payment, property and school taxes, and children to feed and clothe as well as one in an expensive college. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and all input is appreciated.

tiffany (not verified)

In reply to by tiffany (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2017 - 14:14 Permalink

Hi Byran! Can you explain what tested SSI benefits means? I have never heard of this before.

In reply to by tiffany (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2017 - 15:07 Permalink

Hi Tiffany,
"means-tested", or "income-based" means that the benefits are based on your income and your financial resources.

Tiffany (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Wed, 03/22/2017 - 13:10 Permalink

HI Bryan! My question now is, am i entitled to back pay, and if so, how long does it take to get it?

Thu, 02/23/2017 - 00:46 Permalink

I won benefits from ssdi. I applied in Sept of 2012 after I was hospitalized and was denied. Then applied Nov 2016 and I won. But I did not get any backpay. I was expecting backpay from 2012 because obviously I've been sick the whole time. I think I made a mistake and set my disable date as my last job date. Idk I'm mentally ill. The social security officer basically said if you appeal and another person disagrees you could end up with nothing. Idk what to do.

Thu, 02/23/2017 - 11:49 Permalink

If you re-apply, then your date of onset would change, and as such you may not be eligible for back pay, depending on your onset date.

Susanne (not verified)
Fri, 02/24/2017 - 00:56 Permalink

I contacted a lawyer today who said when I didnt appeal in 2012 I gave up my Rights to backpay.

In reply to by Susanne (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2017 - 09:59 Permalink

Hi Susanne,
I'm sorry to hear that! It's true, however, that you may not be entitled to back pay from your previous application if you re-apply rather than appeal.

Susanne (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Sun, 02/26/2017 - 13:38 Permalink

Thanks Brian I will have to let it go. What a total bummer!

jay (not verified)
Fri, 02/24/2017 - 17:34 Permalink

I got cut off in August and got approve in feb ... they sent me my BP of 2220 I was trying to see if they still going to pay me back from 5 months

Tammy (not verified)
Sat, 02/25/2017 - 14:35 Permalink

I won my Ssdi. I've received my fully favorable decision. Now I'm waiting on my award letter, first payment & back pay. My question is will my payment be the same or close to what my social security statement said I would get if I came disabled now? Or the same as when i requested my last insured date?

In reply to by Tammy (not verified)

Tue, 02/28/2017 - 09:18 Permalink

Hi Tammy,
I'm not entirely sure, but you will definitely receive that information in your award letter!

Beth (not verified)
Mon, 03/06/2017 - 11:40 Permalink

How long after I get my first payment does the back pay come

Mon, 03/06/2017 - 12:42 Permalink

Well to be clear everybody's so different i also know people who have had their hearings and a week later get their letter and a month later but at some point last year social security disability applications supplemental income (SSI) applications increased to were even i got a letter in the mail stating that all new claims would be 18 to 24 months and my case had already been in for years so its just depends on where you live and how far back or behind cause i won my hearing in Febuarary and I've still got no letter and its been 35 day's already when i did call they said they were only on December's payments and cases so pretty much telling me that they were two months behind so going by what they said it would be april until they got to February's payments and decision before i would get or hear anything its just a patients game i feel your concerns I'm same boat here except the kid in college but i do understand the long path you have to take but once you get there they are so long to finish completely but on the bright side you are nearing the end game i hope my answer helps good luck

Mon, 03/06/2017 - 14:17 Permalink

How long does it take to get your Social Security from the payment center

Joseph Lampley Jr (not verified)
Mon, 03/06/2017 - 23:01 Permalink

7 months now haven't got my last backpay

Tue, 03/07/2017 - 07:47 Permalink

I have been approved for disability in June of 2016 have gotten my monthly payments but no back pay yet, I call get every excuse I could have heard getting very mad

Tue, 03/07/2017 - 08:38 Permalink

I am SO sorry to hear that! That is an exceptionally long time. I'm assuming you've checked in with your local SSA office--Have you definitely confirmed that you're entitled to back pay? You may want to ask which office is handling the release of your payment to speak with them instead.

Joselin (not verified)

Sun, 03/19/2017 - 23:39 Permalink

After approval when did u get the small checks I just got approved?03/10/17

Marecca (not verified)
Wed, 03/08/2017 - 03:54 Permalink

My childrens father was approved 4/24/2016. His onset date is 11/7/2007. He was approved for SSI and SSDI. He only got 2 SSI payments or Lump Back payments. He passed away October 30, 2016. My son got his first monthly check in December 2016. When will my cildren get their back pay? Are they gonna get his SSDI back pay as well?

Wed, 03/08/2017 - 11:29 Permalink

Hi, If my child was denied ssi benefits 3years ago..and now I need to start a new application would she get back pay from my first application?

Wed, 03/08/2017 - 16:10 Permalink

Unfortunately your child cannot receive backpay from the initial application you sent 3 years ago. SSI backpay cannot overlap from application-application.

Best Wishes,

Beky (not verified)
Wed, 03/08/2017 - 16:09 Permalink

This is kind of a complex question but I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this....
My husband filed for SSDI originally April 2014, he was denied and it went to hearing. He did not go to the hearing bc of his PTSD, Anxiety and etc. So that hearing was cancelled and his claimed denied.
He reapplied in July of 2016, he will be scheduled for a hearing this July. We have an attorney and I am confident that he will succeed with his claim.
My question is, Is there anyway that we can get them to go back to his original date of file April 2014? Circumstances in which we would state would be that
We were not married then and I could not speak to anyone on his behalf, attorney, SSDI department, anyone...He became frustrated and overwhelmed (Medical history will prove this is a typical pattern) Is this the judges decision or are her hands tied with his file date?

In reply to by Beky (not verified)

Wed, 03/08/2017 - 16:15 Permalink

Hi Beky,

That would be something that your attorney would be more qualified to answer. This case is unique, so I don't believe I could give you the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Best of Luck,

Kaisha Latrice Jones (not verified)
Thu, 03/09/2017 - 14:09 Permalink

I never got my back pay due to a childhood payee. I couldn't read i never signed any paper work. In i was a kid

In reply to by Kaisha Latrice Jones (not verified)

Thu, 03/09/2017 - 16:27 Permalink

Hi Kaisha,

I am sorry to hear that. You may want to contact a Social Security attorney to see if you may be entitled to that.

Best Wishes,

Dannie lee (not verified)
Sat, 03/11/2017 - 08:35 Permalink

I just found out I was approved, so how do I get a form to set up my direct deposit into my account at my bank or will they do that for me ...Thanks

In reply to by Dannie lee (not verified)

Mon, 03/13/2017 - 12:53 Permalink

You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, you can do so by giving them a call at 1-800-772-1213.

Sally :) (not verified)
Sat, 03/11/2017 - 08:44 Permalink

I just went to my social website to check on my case and found the most recent update what does this mean? was dated 3-9-2017
says your benefit application is currently under review for processing accuracy. Once the review is complete, we will continue processing your benefit application this is the most update I seen since 9/22/2016

In reply to by Sally :) (not verified)

Mon, 03/13/2017 - 12:54 Permalink

Hi Sally,
I really can't say what it means for the disposition of your case, but it seems like they're making sure everything is in order and is accurate!

sally (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Thu, 03/30/2017 - 07:35 Permalink

How long can that take already 3/30/2017 and still no updates on the ss website or a letter of approval or denial yet?

Thendara (not verified)
Sun, 03/12/2017 - 08:04 Permalink

I'm still waiting on a decision rather I will be approved or not, but now with a new president and with the scary health scare changes that is going to affect me really bad so scared once I get approved that will be taken away from me as well.

In reply to by Thendara (not verified)

Mon, 03/13/2017 - 16:36 Permalink

Hi Thendara,

I am sorry that you are feeling scared. However, there have been no announcements from President Trump about any changes to Social Security.

Best Wishes,

Pam (not verified)
Thu, 03/16/2017 - 13:58 Permalink

I check my udpates about my ssd case online, does it only update once a day or can it change during the day say one thing in the early morning than udate more current in the after noon later hrs? just curious and how accurate is it really ?

In reply to by Pam (not verified)

Thu, 03/16/2017 - 16:16 Permalink

Hi Pam,

Unfortunately, I cannot say for sure how often your case online updates, but you should be notified if any changes are made regarding to it.

Best Wishes,

DANNY 89 (not verified)
Thu, 03/16/2017 - 18:55 Permalink

I just curious, I notice some have to go to the social security Dr and some don't , I guess they already made a decision , just waiting on a letter rather . I'm my letter rather being approved or denied, so is it a bad sign that they did not have me go, some of my friends had to go ?

In reply to by DANNY 89 (not verified)

Fri, 03/17/2017 - 14:00 Permalink

HI there,
I really could not say as the SSA may require a consultive examination, however they may not require it in all cases.

Kelly (not verified)
Fri, 03/17/2017 - 17:23 Permalink

My lawyer called today and said his payment is at his bank to go in his account. I called my bank no pending deposit as of yet on my back pay. Shouldnt i get paid since my lawyer is getting his pay?

In reply to by Kelly (not verified)

Wed, 03/22/2017 - 09:54 Permalink

Hi Kelly,
They may be processing it, it may be a good idea to contact your local SSA office for some more detailed information specific to your case.

unknown 54 (not verified)
Sun, 03/19/2017 - 08:51 Permalink

Hi
I'm kinda confused, I did apply and now just waiting for an answer and reading ppl questions and responses here and reading other information on the internet. I'm 54 and have health issues which makes it very hard for me to do the work I use too, and plus very overweight. I only work 4 4hrs a day maybe 2 or 3 days a week if that. so as of now I make less then $500 a amonth but if I get approved I would get more, that is how I do my banking I have it deposited in to my savings first then transfer what I need into my checking when I have to pay a bill , so I have very little in my checking account for safety reasons, so I noticed from reading on here and other resources social security has cut ppl off for having funds I in there savings , but mine is not for actual saving for a rainy day mine is in there only for a short time because after I pay my bills for the month now gone in no time, but if I get approved it will show more, will that mess things up for me , hope this makes since . some times shows I have over $600 in there but then sometimes I have barley $10 but that is just how I do my bills to keep my money safe not to hide money , I just do want to lose my ssd thinking I have a lot of money in my savings because I do not . I just do it opposite and not put a lot in my checking account

In reply to by unknown 54 (not verified)

Wed, 03/22/2017 - 09:56 Permalink

If you receive SSI benefits, then you would be able to have savings of less than $2000 in your savings before you would be ineligible for benefits.