How Should a Representative Payee Spend a Child's SSI Benefits?

Submitted by Daniel on

Today we will be addressing a question that came to us through our interactive disability forum. If you have a question regarding any part of the Social Security Disability application process, leave it in the comment section below so that we can answer it in a future blog post. Today’s question is:

How should a representative payee spend a child's SSI benefits?

As the representative payee for your child’s Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments, you are responsible for using the funds appropriately and for keeping accurate records of how the payments are spent.

Standard monthly benefit payments can be managed and used in certain ways, while significant back payments of retroactive benefits must be handled differently.

Dedicated Accounts for SSI Back Payments

If your child has recently been approved for SSI and is due a large back payment of benefits, then you will be required to open a dedicated bank account for the funds and the use of those funds will be subject to very specific restrictions.

  • The dedicated account must be a separate checking, savings, or money market account from the one that is used for standard monthly SSI benefits.
  • The funds in the account must be maintained separately from all other funds, including monthly benefit deposits from SSI.
  • The back payment funds cannot be used to purchase stocks, bonds, CDs, or any other form of secured or unsecured investment.
  • The account must be registered showing your child as the owner of the funds and any and all interest that may be accrued on the account.

Funds from your child’s dedicated account can be spent only on the following:

  • medical treatment and related expenses
  • educational expenses, including job and skills training costs
  • special equipment, skilled nursing assistance, home modification costs, and rehab or therapy expenses

Legal fees due to the attorney that assisted in your child’s SSI claim can also be paid from this account.

Regular Monthly Benefit Payments

Your child’s regular monthly SSI payments can be deposited into your standard savings, checking, or money market account, but you will still need to accurately track the manner in which those funds are spent and report that information to the SSA as required.

Monthly benefit payments can be spent on everyday living expenses and daily support needs. These can include any and all of the items listed under the authorized Dedicated Account spending, as well as the following:

  • food
  • clothing
  • shelter
  • insurance costs
  • medical care
  • child care expenses
  • furnishing
  • personal comfort items

Keep in mind that the above listed items can only be used for the child earning the benefits.

Any monthly benefits that are not needed to pay for your child’s current-month expenses must be saved for future use. Many people find the easiest method for keeping track of their child’s benefit balance and spending details is to have a separate checking and/or savings account specifically for monthly SSI payments.

Periodic Spending Checks

The SSA conducts periodic checks on the spending practices of representative payees. Typically these reviews happen once a year. However, the SSA may require reporting as often as every three months for the duration of your child’s SSI eligibility.

If you aren’t sure if you are spending your child’s benefit payments correctly, you should contact the SSA representative who handles his or her claim. If a child’s payments are spent incorrectly, the representative payee may be required to reimburse any funds that were misused.

Please leave any Social Security Disability questions in the comment section below so that we can answer them in a future blog post!

Blog comments

April (not verified)

I have a friend who is so

I have a friend who is so confused as to what shes allowed to purchase for her daughter who is on disability. Her caseworker told her she is not allowed to purchase glasses, medicine, clothes, etc for her daughter. So what is the purpose of her having an account for her if shes not allowed to spend the money on what she wants. Or even a computer to help her w her dyslexia. They told her she can buy her a bed and a dresser which she already has. Is there not a list she can look at online possibly??

Mon, 12/21/2015 - 17:24 Permalink

In reply to by April (not verified)

Hi April,

Hi April,
The reason she can't spend it on what she wants is because all of the money needs to be spent on her daughter, not other items like car payments or credit card bills. She can likely get most purchases for her daughter approved, like a computer. She should just submit them ahead of time to make sure she does not face a penalty.

Tue, 12/22/2015 - 10:52 Permalink
terri (not verified)

My 14 year old and my 12 year

My 14 year old and my 12 year both get ss because thier father retired (and is fighting to stop child support because they get this benefit) How do you show money used for everyday things like groceries? Say I purchase a gallon of milk. I will probably drink some of that milk too. I dont have to shop seperatly for my daughter do I?

Mon, 12/21/2015 - 17:56 Permalink

In reply to by terri (not verified)

Hi Terri,

Hi Terri,
I do not believe so. That would be ridiculous. Because your daughters are not actually disabled and are just receiving benefits off of their fathers' account, they will not have the same asset limitations other children have.

Tue, 12/22/2015 - 10:53 Permalink
Jackie (not verified)

Hi I s it ok to have a new

Hi I s it ok to have a new car. We were una bad accident and car was totaled. My asd 10 year old doesn't do very good riding public bus. Have been asked to get off before so I need car. I'm a single mom and can't afford to be in a used car and paying for repairs or getting stranded somewhere. I qualified for a new car and went ahead and got one making payments and didn't put money down because I had no money for down payment. I work full time and some overtime to make my car payment.

Tue, 12/22/2015 - 11:20 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

Can u use the child benefits

Can u use the child benefits for like a bed or a refrigerate?

Tue, 12/22/2015 - 21:40 Permalink

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Hi there,

Hi there,
You can definitely use it on a new bed for your son. As for the refrigerator, you will need to be able to show that your current fridge is not working at all and your son needs one for a fresh food supply.

Mon, 12/28/2015 - 16:29 Permalink
Nana (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

I was told by my

I was told by my granddaughters worker that the dedicated back pay could NOT be used to by her a bed. But I see a lot of posts saying it is ok. So who do I talk with to see if this can actually be done without having to repay back if local workers says it can not be!?

Sat, 09/03/2016 - 19:07 Permalink

In reply to by Nana (not verified)

Hi there,

Hi there,
you can contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213, they can help go over what you can use your granddaughter's back pay.

Tue, 09/06/2016 - 12:50 Permalink
Marilyn (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

My child lives with me and

My child lives with me and just got approved, I’m I able to use some of the benefits for grocery?

Wed, 07/03/2019 - 01:31 Permalink

In reply to by Marilyn (not verified)



Monthly SSI benefits can be spent on food. Just make sure you have a system to keep track of all of the purchases you have made.

Fri, 07/05/2019 - 14:22 Permalink
Brandi lee (not verified)

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

My daughter just got approved

My daughter just got approved getting ready to opening her account, what are somethings she can get approved for sure, she needs a new bed,we have no vehicle, just wondering thank you

Sat, 10/22/2016 - 20:58 Permalink
debbie (not verified)

My son who is 22 applied for

My son who is 22 applied for SSI ...... he can not manage monies on his own i remember in the past i had a form signed by his doctor that he is not capable of handling his money what is this form called and where can i get one thanks

Sun, 12/27/2015 - 15:32 Permalink

In reply to by debbie (not verified)

Hi Debbie,

Hi Debbie,
If he is approved for benefits and the SSA determines that he does not need a representative payee, you will not be able to take control of his benefits. If he DOES need a representative payee, you will need to schedule an appointment with your local SSA office to file the paperwork.

Mon, 12/28/2015 - 16:31 Permalink
STOP TRYIJNG T… (not verified)

In reply to by debbie (not verified)


STOP TRYING TO STEAL YOUR SONS MONEY HE IS 22 if he cant handle his money that is his responsibility not yours you should have raised him better

Fri, 08/26/2016 - 08:35 Permalink

In reply to by STOP TRYIJNG T… (not verified)

Hi there,

Hi there,
Unfortunately, not everyone is able to handle their finances, as they may not be able to do so.

Fri, 08/26/2016 - 11:49 Permalink
Cheryl McFadden (not verified)

In reply to by STOP TRYIJNG T… (not verified)

My brother is 54 and he can

My brother is 54 and he can not handle his money he was born with brain damage and is autistic. Some disabilities arise later as well. Insensitive! SSI is for disabilities

Mon, 11/07/2016 - 16:59 Permalink

In reply to by Cheryl McFadden (not verified)

Hi Cheryl,

Hi Cheryl,
I'm sorry if we had phrased that incorrectly, we've since edited it.

Mon, 11/07/2016 - 17:05 Permalink
Sherri James (not verified)

In reply to by STOP TRYIJNG T… (not verified)

Lmao that's exactly what

Lmao that's exactly what I was thinking. I ahve a friend whose child received benefits that continued beyond her turning 18. She had used all the retro funds for buying a vehicle, buying herself new clothes, etc-- she never even told her daughter how much retro she had gotten. Now that her daughter is 19 the mom is trying to control the funds still. She told her daughter that she no longer received benefits BC she had turned 18 yet has continued to collect her benefits behind her adult daughter's back! It's scandalous really. A few weeks ago SSA realized they owed her daughter a back payment from an error they had made and already the mom has taken two dispersements out of it totally almost 4K. It's a shame BC the daughter doesn't even live with her and hasn't for over three years and actually works now. When SSA realized this it's gonna appear that the daughter was committing fraud thought that's not the case at all. Sad situation, really.

Sun, 01/22/2017 - 15:27 Permalink

In reply to by Sherri James (not verified)

Hi Sherri,

Hi Sherri,
Thanks for sharing! However, if the daughter was receiving benefits based on her mother's work record, there are less restrictions on that type of benefit.

Wed, 02/01/2017 - 12:05 Permalink
KG (not verified)

Hi! I have a question on how

Hi! I have a question on how I'm able to pay for my son's needs. He has his own account, savings. That is what his checks are deposited into.

I have things I need to purchase for him (large sized cloth diapers), but cannot buy those items for his care in a local store with cash. How else am I able to order it online? I don't want to mix his funds with my bank account as I believe it's not allowed. Is there another more appropriate way to go about it?

Mon, 12/28/2015 - 06:39 Permalink

In reply to by KG (not verified)

Hi KG,

Hi KG,
I am not sure how you could do this. Is it possible for you to get a debit card where you can order items online and withdraw from his own account?

Mon, 12/28/2015 - 16:32 Permalink
George (not verified)

My son and daughter are both

My son and daughter are both very young and on SSI for severe Autism (non-verbal) I recently separated from my wife of 19 years, and she is under the impression that since they currently live with her until the Child Legal Decision Making court order is issued (I petitioned for sole decision making because she has convictions of DV) that as the Representative Payee I am supposed to pay her Rent, Power, Gas, Phone, Water, and everything with only a few necessities going to the children's benefit because "they live with her?" I don't understand why a grown woman needs to live completely off her own children's benefits, and not work or anything. She keeps saying Rent, Food, and Shelter are a must for them - but she benefits too? Are the kids benefit designed to support my ex-wife at 100% simply because they live there too at ages 4 and 5? It doesn't seem correct in the design for benefits to be spent?
Tue, 12/29/2015 - 15:50 Permalink

In reply to by George (not verified)

Hi George,

Hi George,
I am very sorry to hear that. You can spend monthly benefits on items like rent and gas if the children live in the household so long as it's cleared with an SSA representative (NOT back pay though). I'd consider speaking with the SSA rep who handles your claim to see if you have any options for handling how she spends the money.

Wed, 12/30/2015 - 09:51 Permalink
k (not verified)

In reply to by George (not verified)

I think the children need a

I think the children need a state representative since being that you are in the middle of divorce.. you are not a good candidate. You are unable to be impartial and seem to want to hurt or punish your x.

Wed, 05/18/2016 - 07:28 Permalink

In reply to by k (not verified)

Hi K,

Hi K,
That's a great point! It's possible to assign someone who is not a parent to be a representative payee, and it may be a good idea in some cases.

Wed, 05/18/2016 - 10:21 Permalink
Katie (not verified)

In reply to by George (not verified)

You should ask your SS

You should ask your SS representative; however, I can tell you what was instructed to me, in the past. THe amount of rent, utilities, etc. that is your children's share would be divided among the members of the household. So that they are NOT paying their mother's or potential siblings' share. So if the rent were 600/month and 3 in the household, then each of their share would be 200, and you would pay 400 towards the rent. Same with utilities, food, household necessities (toilet paper/cleaning etc.). Hope this helps some.

Sun, 02/05/2017 - 12:11 Permalink
Charity (not verified)

My son just got his first

My son just got his first backpay in his bank account, is it ok for me to spend the money on a car seat for him and vehicle repairs? We make multiple trips to drs and therapy a week due to his medical condition

Wed, 12/30/2015 - 08:32 Permalink

In reply to by Charity (not verified)

Hi Charity,

Hi Charity,
Car seat, absolutely. As for the vehicle repairs, you definitely need to check in with your SSA representative. Back pay has very strict limits on how it can be spent.

Wed, 12/30/2015 - 09:52 Permalink
Hector (not verified)

My wife and I took parental

My wife and I took parental custody of my little brother who has down syndrome and autism. He is receiving monthly SSI. He is only 8, but due to his disabilities he will need medical procedures his entire life. Can we save any of his monthly money that is not used in a savings account for future use? Any advise would be appreciated.

Sat, 01/02/2016 - 23:23 Permalink

In reply to by Hector (not verified)

Hi Hector,

Hi Hector,
You will need to set up an account through the ABLE act. This allows families to save funds for children or adults with disabilities, up to $100,000. I am not sure if you can save his monthly SSI benefits, but you can submit any other forms of income. Check with your local SSA office to see if your state has enabled the ABLE act.

Mon, 01/04/2016 - 16:52 Permalink
Anthony (not verified)

I have a friends who just

I have a friends who just turn 18 and because of that her mother is saying that they will lose their benefits for the other three kids and that she will have to pay a certain amount or they will garnish my friends wages

Sun, 01/03/2016 - 21:30 Permalink

In reply to by Anthony (not verified)

Hi Anthony,

Hi Anthony,
I'll need more details. I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Is the 18 year old on SSI or SSDI? Why would they garnish the friends' wages?

Mon, 01/04/2016 - 16:53 Permalink
Kelly (not verified)

my brother in law only

my brother in law only adopted a spec needs child so he could get the money...very sad. She is now 28 years old and is still getting checks. Him and my sister in law only work part time, and live with my retired mother in law. The brother in law takes the check every month, and uses it to pay the whole rent with it. Shouldn't she only need to be paying for her part of the rent? I can't prove it, only hear say from mother in law. My brother in law and sister in law are in debt up to their eye balls and then some. He won't work full time cause he's too lazy and doesn't want his debts to be garnished from his wages. How can I go about trying to get his hands off this girls money?? When she turned 18, and wouldn't be getting as much money, he wanted to adopt another spec needs child to get more money. The daughter they have is a crack baby and has a lot of physical and mental problems, she not one that could ever live on her own, alone. Any suggestions? I'd like to do this without any family members knowing that I'm trying to do.

Thank you

Mon, 01/04/2016 - 11:50 Permalink
Ashley (not verified)

In reply to by Kelly (not verified)

How is that fraud rent is

How is that fraud rent is nessesary to live do define living expenses if you dont pay rent you dont live anywhere

Fri, 02/03/2017 - 16:22 Permalink
Monica (not verified)

I had my son at 24 weeks

I had my son at 24 weeks gestation and he survived. He's going to have to see special doctors since was born extremely premature, until he doesn't need the extra treatment anymore. He was approved for SSI. Does this mean I can get him a crib, stroller,and toys? Also if I don't use up all the money for the month, does it just add up in the account?

Sun, 01/17/2016 - 06:35 Permalink

In reply to by Monica (not verified)

Hi Monica,

Hi Monica,
Absolutely! Just be careful if you are buying toys with his back pay. You may need to clear that with the SSA first. If you do not use all of your monthly SSI benefits, your benefits may be reduced. I'd highly recommend spending it all every month.

Thu, 03/03/2016 - 16:10 Permalink
Sharon (not verified)

Regarding a minors auxiliary

Regarding a minors auxiliary and survivor benifits: How does this differ from a minor receiving disability, and what are examples of things these monies can be spent on? Also is a dedicated account required for nondisabled children?

Wed, 01/20/2016 - 04:31 Permalink

In reply to by Sharon (not verified)

Hi Sharon,

Hi Sharon,
The fundamental difference is that survivors/auxiliary benefits are SSDI benefits, while disabled children receive SSI benefits. It is not necessary to set up a dedicated account for SSDI benefits. You can also save SSDI benefits if you have extra at the end of the month (which is not true for SSI benefits). SSDI benefits can be spent on anything for the wellbeing of the child. SSI benefits can as well, but SSI back pay can only be spent on medical care, therapy, or house modifications for the child.

Thu, 03/03/2016 - 16:15 Permalink
jess (not verified)

My stepdaughter gets SSI for

My stepdaughter gets SSI for a birth injury, her mother told us she took all the money out of her account with her backed SSI in it for the down payment on the house, is this allowed?!?

Wed, 01/20/2016 - 23:57 Permalink

In reply to by jess (not verified)


Absolutely not. You should go to your SSI office immediately and report his as fraud and see if another representative payee can be appointed to your stepddaugher.

Thu, 03/03/2016 - 16:15 Permalink
chynna (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

My son is 20 and is no longer

My son is 20 and is no longer quilifys for ssi can he use his dedicated account?

Tue, 03/08/2016 - 11:20 Permalink
Jessica B (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Are you employed by SSA?

Are you employed by SSA?

Fri, 12/30/2016 - 02:15 Permalink

In reply to by Jessica B (not verified)

Hi Jessica,

Hi Jessica,
We are not affiliated with the SSA nor are we affiliated with the federal government, we are an independent organization.

Fri, 12/30/2016 - 09:20 Permalink
Brian m hopper (not verified)

Is a child at the age of 13

Is a child at the age of 13 in his or her parents house supposed to have their ssi money to spend on whatever they want. If my moms son age 13 is demanding his money what are the rules.

Sun, 02/14/2016 - 22:05 Permalink

In reply to by Brian m hopper (not verified)

Hi Brian,

Hi Brian,
The SSI money cannot be spent on whatever they want. It needs to be spent on the child, such as groceries for the child, clothes, or school supplies. The son can receive sone of the money but it all must be tracked. He would not be able to go buy a new skateboard or something frivolous like that.

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:21 Permalink

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!