How do I tell SSI to update my last name?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 07/22/2018 - 19:01

(sorry if this posts twice. I can't find my original)

Hello, I am Kristen. I've been on SSI since 2012. At that time I was legally married (since 2002) but had been separated from my spouse since 2008. I divorced in 2014. I still have my divorce papers which granted me my maiden name back if I wanted to. Well, of course I signed to have that done. But it didn't give me instructions on how to change back to my maiden name throughout the system. It's 2018 now and I still have no idea how to change back. I have searched on how to change it with SSI but all I've found is answers about replacement cards. I don't need a replacement card because I still have my original SS Card with my maiden name on it. How do I tell SSI that I just need to update my last name? I can't even change it on my personal Social Security webpage.

Thank you in advance. By the way, Indiana is my home state, if that helps your answer.

Thu, 08/02/2018 - 14:52 Permalink

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell Social Security so you can get a corrected card. For more information on what documents you will need to provide, you can visit the SSA's website.

Add new comment