Direct Deposit

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/14/2011 - 09:15

I currently receive SSI for my middle son, it comes to me in the form of a check. How do I get this to be direct deposit into my checking account?

Tired (not verified)
Wed, 02/10/2016 - 02:18 Permalink

I have a minor savings account for my son. Can I have my tax refund sent there direct deposit

Elaine (not verified)
Sat, 02/13/2016 - 17:11 Permalink

I currently receive social security disability benefits directly deposited into my checking account. I just found out that my checking account has been closed since 2/4/16. My benefits are due to be deposited directly this Wednesday the 17th into that account. I also currently have an open savings account under the same member number with routing number. I called my bank and spoke to three different customer service reps. The last two informed me that there is a chance that my benefits could be rerouted into my savings account since my checking account was closed but there would be no way to know until Wednesday (when the deposit is due.) Do you have any information or have you heard about any situations similar to mine. The checking and savings account is register to the same member number but they do have different account numbers. The reps told me that they have heard of the money being put into the other open account. Thank you


In reply to by Elaine (not verified)

Tue, 02/16/2016 - 17:06 Permalink

Hi Eliane,
This is actually a pretty specific question that unfortunately only your bank representatives will know the answer to (even though it sounds like they aren't so sure themselves!). You may be able to go to to check out your My SSA account and see if you can edit the bank settings there.

Deborah (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 09:28 Permalink

How do I call to see about my ssi check if my account has closed


In reply to by Deborah (not verified)

Fri, 03/04/2016 - 15:45 Permalink

Hi Deborah,
You would have to call the SSA at 1800-772-1213 to inform them about you account closing.

Bobby (not verified)
Wed, 02/24/2016 - 19:38 Permalink

If they say the money is in the payment center how long before it's deposited!..Thanks in advance...


In reply to by Bobby (not verified)

Fri, 03/04/2016 - 15:49 Permalink

Hi Bobby,
I'm not sure when, but your check should be deposited at the same time every month.

Candi (not verified)
Wed, 03/09/2016 - 19:19 Permalink

I was curious to see if anyone has experienced this or had a similar situation? My husband is representative payee for his brother and he was receiving his direct deposit on Direct Express. After several months and many problems later, he decided to switch to a local bank. But the direct deposit was still sent to Direct Express. The Direct Express is a closed account, but they are still holding his disability funds instead of sending them back to Social Security. We have already contacted Social Security and it has already been a week and Direct Express has still not released the funds. I thought if an account was closed that it was automatically sent back. We cannot afford to keep paying our bills and his, too. Is there anything else that can be done? And, does anyone know how long this may take?


In reply to by Candi (not verified)

Thu, 03/10/2016 - 12:18 Permalink

Hi Candi,
This seems like a situation that you would need to contact Direct Express about, if you have not already. They may be able to correct the mistake and send the money back to the SSA.

Donna L.Lee (not verified)
Fri, 03/11/2016 - 20:34 Permalink

I recieve my social security by direct deposit into my bank account.I want to open a new account.How long does it take to switch my direct deposit over to new account?


In reply to by Donna L.Lee (not verified)

Mon, 03/14/2016 - 11:52 Permalink

Hi Donna,
I would contact the SSA about the time it takes for them to transfer accounts, you can either visit their website at or call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Michael (not verified)
Sat, 03/12/2016 - 18:39 Permalink

How sholud i use her money when my girl is addicted to drugs sex cigarettes please help she is bipoal and autisim do i give her money or mAke here earn it


In reply to by Michael (not verified)

Mon, 03/14/2016 - 11:48 Permalink

Hi Michael,
I'm sorry to hear about that! If you are a representative payee, the SSI funds that you get on her behalf should be used for treating her medical conditions, basic needs, education, ect. You should track any purchases that you make for this as you will have to account for the money spent, and it's also a good idea to keep these funds in a separate account as well. You are not obligated to give the beneficiary the money directly in any way if you are the representative payee, but it should be used for the purposes that I went over above.

Maureen (not verified)
Fri, 03/18/2016 - 12:29 Permalink

My son receives SSI and SSD directly deposited in his bank each month. How do we change from the bank to a Credit Union? Our local branch is closing.


In reply to by Maureen (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:53 Permalink

Hi Maureen,
You would need to contact the SSA to change your banking details, their website is and you can also call them at 1-800-772-1312.

pamela j miles (not verified)
Sat, 04/02/2016 - 06:54 Permalink

i have a new account n0 i need to put on my directdeposit


In reply to by pamela j miles (not verified)

Mon, 04/04/2016 - 12:35 Permalink

Hi Pamela,
We are not affiliated with the SSA, you would need to reach out to them about this. You can contact them at 1-800-772-1213 or at

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.