SSDI length of time for back pay?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 11/18/2012 - 00:19

When I initially met with my attorney, I was told that back pay would go back one year from application, minus 5 months (I had already waited over 2 years to file because I was told I would have "full recovery" after my 2 fusion surgeries). I've received my acceptance letter but not my back pay yet, and during my search for more info on the process I came across a SSDI page stating that even if it takes 24 months for your claim to get approved, you can only receive pay for 12 months. Can anybody help clarify this for me please? Also, I have friends who received their back pay before or immediately after their approval letters (NY), but I've seen posts by people saying it took several months so I was wondering if there was a formula for when I can expect mine? I'm not looking to go on a spending spree, but I have a mortgage, car payment, property and school taxes, and children to feed and clothe as well as one in an expensive college. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and all input is appreciated.

LaToya F Lomax (not verified)
Sun, 04/28/2019 - 21:05 Permalink

If i got 1st backpay for my daughter on november 22 2018 when will i get my next payment for her backpay

Alexandria m moore (not verified)
Wed, 05/08/2019 - 13:04 Permalink

I requested my back pay be sent to my card I received a paper check yesterday and when will my next back pay check be received

Darin T. (not verified)
Wed, 05/15/2019 - 18:55 Permalink

I received my award letter dated 1/7/19 from the SSDI judge on 1/9/19. The SSDI sent me a letter that they needed more information from me including a bank account for auto deposits before they can process and set up payments which I did on 3/1/19. My daughter received her back pay on 3/15 and my attorney was paid as well. I received both April and May monthly payments but I'm looking to see how much longer it will be before I receive any back pay? I am a resident of California. What if anything could be holding it up? Thank you for your help or information you can offer. DT

Jennifer (not verified)
Tue, 05/21/2019 - 03:43 Permalink

Hello everyone, I received a fully favorable decision 10 weeks after hearing before judge. Wanted everyone to know that checking your status online us the best and most accurate information. I received my approval letter, then a week later it showed my payment amount online and that it will start the next month. Nothing about back pay yet but it has only been a week since approval letter and I have not received my award letter yet. So this goes to show every state is different so don't give up hope. It does take patience, though very hard to be patient when bills are piling up. The relief you feel when you finally get approved is like no other feeling, everyone hang in there and I hope and pray you get approved too.

Christina (not verified)
Sun, 06/02/2019 - 09:58 Permalink

I received my award letter in January have been receiving monthly payments since March. When should I expect to receive any of my back pay from SSI.

Trice (not verified)
Thu, 06/06/2019 - 03:31 Permalink

Hi my daughter received her first instalment dec 4 2018 I was wondering when she will receive her second installment of back pay

Shemika (not verified)
Thu, 06/06/2019 - 16:22 Permalink

My kids father was approved march 28 him and they lawyer have received their back payment i have three kids for him they told me they will pay me back 24 months its been 60 days i haven't heard ANYTHING

Nancy (not verified)
Tue, 06/18/2019 - 13:13 Permalink

My husband was approved for SSDI in January and received his first monthly payment from SSDI for the month of February in March. Would the backpay then come 4 months from the date it began in February or from the date we received his first payment deposited at the end of March? Thank you for your response.

Wed, 07/10/2019 - 09:53 Permalink

Its been over 90 days and still no backpay. Called numerous numbers get run around. Can i somehow talk to a rep at process center, not ill call u back number, they have never returned calls.

Wed, 07/10/2019 - 16:05 Permalink

Back pay typically takes longer than 90 days to come. Back pay typically comes 4 months after you begin receiving benefits. If you are receiving SSI, you'll get it in 3 installments each about 6 months apart.

Shelly (not verified)
Wed, 07/31/2019 - 20:18 Permalink

My case is a little complicated, I filed for ssdi and was denied. My lawyer took it all the way to the federal level where it was remanded back to the Alj judge. In the meantime they had ne reapply, I did and was approved. I started drawing my disability monthly while the original case was still in appeals. They have now approved my back pay. How long does it take for them to send your back pay. Also they have already held 5 months from when I started drawing, will they hold it again from my back pay .

In reply to by Shelly (not verified)

Thu, 08/01/2019 - 11:32 Permalink

Hi Shelly,

Back pay typically comes about 4 months after you begin receiving your benefits. You can reach out to the SSA with any questions if your backpay hasn't come yet. Their number is 1-800-772-1213!

MIke (not verified)
Mon, 08/19/2019 - 00:01 Permalink

Hello and thank you for what you do! I was favorably approved by a judge on 27Jul19 and my onset date was 01Aug2016 (24 year veteran). I'm really confused because on my award I had my two children living with me and my wife who takes care of a great majority of the household. I had 11k arrears (kid is already grown - 22 year old) and the lawyer fee (6000.00) and I only received a lump sum check of 18k and it was much much lower than what was calculated for onset date, back pay and retro. How can this be If my award would've been capped at the max family benefit? It's really confusing because even if they did take the 17k from my check, I would have had a substantial amount left not just 18k...I apologize if it sounds like I'm complaining but it's been a uphill battle since 2012 when my injury actually started with the military and then with the Social Security Office for another 3 years with my family in tow going through the monetary hardship with me. (Thanks in advance)

In reply to by MIke (not verified)

Mon, 08/19/2019 - 16:30 Permalink

Hi Mike,

It could have been that this was the first installment of back pay. SSDI back pay comes in 3 installments rather than one lump sum. If you were awarded SSI, then it would be one lump sum.

Shelly (not verified)
Thu, 09/12/2019 - 15:00 Permalink

I initially applied for ssdi in Aug 2012. I was denied and it went all the way to federal court and was remanded back to aldj. It was finally approved on July 11, 2019. I was told it could take up to 60 days to get my back pay. It has past the 60 days and when I contact social security they tell me it's still processing. How long does it usually tack to get back pay. One lady told me it could take longer because my case was complicated

Lorraine (not verified)

In reply to by Shelly (not verified)

Fri, 09/13/2019 - 00:14 Permalink

Hi Shelly. Your case sounds almost exactly like mine. After I finally received my award letter for backpay my attorney was paid first and I received my backpay 4 months after receiving the award letter in the mail. Hang in there congratulations on finally getting your benefits. I had over 4 years and 7 months of backpay due. Approval from the Judge is not the starting point. The award letter is the beginning of the payment release.... I hope this helps.

Orfa (not verified)
Mon, 09/16/2019 - 17:26 Permalink

I applied for disability about 1 1/2 year ago. I got approved in March will I get back pay.

In reply to by Orfa (not verified)

Tue, 09/17/2019 - 17:00 Permalink

Hi Orfa,

It depends on when the SSA determines is your date of onset (the date you began experiencing the disabling condition). If you had to wait over 5 months from that date for disability, you'll receive backpay for each month after that 5 month period. For example, let's say you applied for disability benefits in December of 2018 and that the SSA determined you began experiencing your disabling condition was January 1, 2019. If you were approved September 1, 2019, you should receive backpay for June, July, August.

Renee Turner (not verified)
Wed, 09/25/2019 - 10:05 Permalink

I have ALS and was approved for social security disability benefits in February. I waited 6 months for my first check. My disease is so profound that I can only move my eyes. I did not receive backpay for the months wait. Why?

In reply to by Renee Turner (not verified)

Wed, 09/25/2019 - 16:05 Permalink

Hi Renee,

If you only had to wait five months or less between when you were approved for benefits and when your date of onset of disability established by the SSA was, then you do not qualify for back pay. Your approval letter should explain if you were or were not eligible for back pay.

Felipe (not verified)
Sat, 10/05/2019 - 04:03 Permalink

I was approved in June 3 2019 I received my first ssi check on July 1 2019 how does it take to receive my back pay .it true from July till October 2019 it been 60 days to get my back pay I call the office they told shortly I'll will received my back pay .are they telling me right the SSI office.can u help and give me your opinion on that

In reply to by Felipe (not verified)

Wed, 10/09/2019 - 16:36 Permalink

Hi Felipe,

MJ (not verified)
Wed, 10/16/2019 - 09:29 Permalink

I was approved in April 2019, my benefits began June 2019, this month October 2019, makes four months after benefits began. Is it possible that I may get my back pay this month?

CM

In reply to by MJ (not verified)

Thu, 10/17/2019 - 15:08 Permalink

Hi MJ,

It varies on a case to case basis. It can typically take around 4 months to receive back pay. You can call the SSA to ask about the status of your back pay.

Haley (not verified)
Wed, 10/16/2019 - 16:32 Permalink

Social Security owes me $4,987 in back pay and I was wondering how long it would take for them to resend me the money? because they first sent it out on October 2nd and it went to my old checking account instead of my new account so how long should it take for it to be in my new checking account?

CM

In reply to by Haley (not verified)

Thu, 10/17/2019 - 15:01 Permalink

Hi Haley,

You might be able to find out the status of your back pay by calling the SSA at 1-800-772-1213.

David Fitzgerald jr (not verified)
Mon, 10/21/2019 - 06:17 Permalink

My wife just got approved for her ssi my question is they hpw cam i get the social sucurity pffice to just pay her im one lump sum instead of getting payed in 4 instalments give her all her back pay but but they want to do it every 6 monthes

CM

In reply to by David Fitzgerald jr (not verified)

Tue, 10/22/2019 - 14:48 Permalink

Hi David,

You may be able to receive an expedited payment if you contact the SSA directly. 1 (800) 772-1213

CM

In reply to by David Fitzgerald jr (not verified)

Tue, 10/22/2019 - 14:48 Permalink

Hi David,

Ge (not verified)
Tue, 10/29/2019 - 13:34 Permalink

My husband got his SSDI back in 2015 when he was diagnosed with cancer. Now the cancer is spreading to the bones and lymph nodes. We received the letter from IRS on Oct 23 stating they increased my husband’s claim and then after 5 days we got another letter sayong we have to pay back the $29000 because me as a wife have work and have income. My income is not fixed. I did not making money as a Real Estate agent. What should we do?

mts

In reply to by Ge (not verified)

Fri, 11/01/2019 - 14:44 Permalink

Hi,

SSDI is not based on household income and therefore benefits should not be affected by your income. I would contact the SSA directly and have them explain the situation to you.

Patsy phillips (not verified)
Wed, 11/06/2019 - 13:35 Permalink

Back pay ssi 11 6 2019

In reply to by Patsy phillips (not verified)

Thu, 11/07/2019 - 16:47 Permalink

Hi Patsy,

If that is the date you received back pay, then you'll likely receive the next installment in about 6 months.

Diana (not verified)
Sat, 11/09/2019 - 23:27 Permalink

Once your approved for disabilty how many years can give you for back pay

In reply to by Diana (not verified)

Mon, 11/11/2019 - 16:01 Permalink

Hi Diana,

The SSA will determine the date of onset of your condition, and it is it longer than 5 months between the date of onset and when you were awarded disability benefits, then you will be awarded back pay for those months. But They will not take the 5 months into consideration. So if you applied in January of 2018 and the SSA establishes that is also the date of onset, and were approved for benefits in January 2019, then you will receive back pay for 7 months.

Once you are approved, your awards letter will explain how much you received in back pay.

Stephanie (not verified)
Wed, 11/13/2019 - 23:10 Permalink

I'm waiting for backpay,just got approved for it. My attorney said something about four months.

mts

In reply to by Stephanie (not verified)

Thu, 11/14/2019 - 16:03 Permalink

Hi Stephanie,

In general, that is the timeframe. The first payment will come in after about 4 months and then continue in 6 month installments depending on the amount you are owed.

Lauren (not verified)
Fri, 11/15/2019 - 06:40 Permalink

I got approved for SSDI and SSI for a specific time period. I got award letters for both programs that I would be getting back pay. how long does it take to get my Back Pay?

CM

In reply to by Lauren (not verified)

Fri, 11/15/2019 - 12:16 Permalink