Direct Deposit

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/14/2011 - 09:15

I currently receive SSI for my middle son, it comes to me in the form of a check. How do I get this to be direct deposit into my checking account?

Shirley (not verified)
Tue, 10/27/2015 - 18:49 Permalink

I have direct deposit for my disability but I want to close that account and open a new one and still have direct deposit at a new bank how do I do this

Permiqua peters (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Thu, 07/27/2017 - 10:48 Permalink

Okay I had direct deposit from social security coming from my old account I waited until the end of the month to tell them I have a new account. So I gave them my new account number they told me that it was already to late and they would start sending it to my new account in September so does that mean my benefits I get for aug they be sending it to my old account stil


In reply to by Permiqua peters (not verified)

Thu, 07/27/2017 - 15:01 Permalink

Hi there,
It would seem they're sending it to your old account, I would make sure to keep it open until you can confirm they are sending money into the new account.

Permiqua peters (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Thu, 07/27/2017 - 22:01 Permalink

They told me that thier where already sent told old account and that in September it will start coming to my new account . I just hope tigers no problem with me trying to get my benefits for aug since I don't have that account. Hopefully my bank can transfer the money to my new account

Donna (not verified)
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 02:46 Permalink

I changed the direct deposits of my benefit earlier this month, and I was told I was in time for it to take effect in November. It is currently 11:45 PM MST (Arizona), and the SSI benefits would already be showing in my old direct deposit account. However, it is not showing in either the old, or the new direct deposit account. Can someone tell me why this might be?

Donna (not verified)
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 02:53 Permalink

This is only my opinion, based on my observation: Shouldn't this question be removed, or at least not have the number 1 spot, because it was posted in April of 2011, and the questions following it have been posted much more recently? At first glance, having that ancient question as number 1 makes the page seem completely unattended, and any information on it, questionable. It also makes this site seem very outdated, and if the page and site are attended, and up to date, that would be unfortunate. Thank you.


In reply to by Donna (not verified)

Fri, 10/30/2015 - 09:38 Permalink

Hi Donna,
You are certainly correct. We had a thriving forum with over 16,000 posts, but we recently had to completely redo our site and transfer all of the content from one site to another. This process took a team of eight people over a week to do, and that was just for the site's content (2700 pages). Due to the sheer volume of topics, we did not have the time to upload all of the comments users entered, only the forum topics.

Billy Bob Robertson (not verified)
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 14:29 Permalink

Well it's now confirmed.. Some of the people who work at the Social Security Office in Gallatin are indeed nothing but &@*#$&*@#!! It's apparently not enough that no one is getting a cost of living increase in 2016 from social security, now some wiseass there has also decided to TAKE money from handicapped people drawing SSI. Great job @#*&$@$.. Thinking about bringing the major news agency in on this crap.. They messed up and now someone there responsible for doing that is only out to try saving their job or job advancement at the expense of a wheelchair bound person who now is being forced to decide between paying her rent or electric bill because she no longer gets enough to pay both..


In reply to by Billy Bob Robertson (not verified)

Fri, 10/30/2015 - 16:15 Permalink

Hi Billy Bob,
It's definitely a hardship for everyone. Hopefully the SSA can figure something out so those who need benefits can get help.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:41 Permalink

Hello, I receive SSI paymennts for myself and my daughter, and I just called the Social Security Administration office and told them, that I wanted Direct Deposit. They will send you a card and deposit all of your benefits on the card. After you receive the card, you will be asked activate your card and to set your pen number. It has worked great for us! DR

Ena Griffin (not verified)

In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Sun, 11/08/2015 - 12:09 Permalink

Hello. I signed up for the direct express card and the money was still sent to a closed account. Can you please tell me how long it took you to get your card after contacting ssa? Thanks so much

Jill (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:41 Permalink

I want to find out if my bank account has been changed, where my disability check has been direct deposited? It was to be sent to M and T Bank in Waynesboro, Pa, but was supposed to be changed to Bulldog Federal Credit Union, in Hagerstown, Md... has this been done? I did leave 2 messages on voice mail.

Molly (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

Hello Jill,
We are not the Social Security Administration and unfortunately we don't control direct deposit. I suggest that you check with the Social Security Representative who handles your case. If he or she does not respond to your messages, you might want to arrange an appointment to speak to them in person. I hope this helps!

Doug (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

To help answer some of the questions that have come in to us about how the SSA is handling the switch to Direct Deposit payments for SSDI and SSI benefits, we have recently posted an article in our blog about switching disability benefit payments to direct deposit.
There is information on direct deposit, as well as how the switch affects people receiving disability benefits and what the various options are for receiving payments.
I hope this is helpful,

Patrick (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

My brother has his SSI on direct deposit and has been paying fees for cash withdrawls at the ATM's> Is there free ATM's ? and which ones don't charge transaction fees? thanks

Molly C (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:42 Permalink

Hi Patrick, this will depend on the bank that your brother has his account with.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:43 Permalink

I would like to change my sons direct deposit to another bank. I am unable to set up an online account such as I have since he is under the age of 18. Is the only option to call? I hate waiting on hold and I don't have the info for our representative anymore. Any suggestions on how i can change his bank info only online? Thanks!

Brittany (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:43 Permalink

Hello my mother gets ssi direct deposit and she's wanting to.switch her bank accounts how long does it take to.transfer from one bank to another? Will she still receive her payment on time or.will there be a delay?

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!