back pay for child support

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 10/28/2014 - 13:41

What percantage of back pay for SSDI can they (the state) take out to pay child support owed.

Robert (not verified)
Mon, 03/20/2017 - 14:08 Permalink

What are the steps or paperwork that i need for my ex to sign off on all the back pay I owe.


In reply to by Robert (not verified)

Tue, 03/21/2017 - 11:47 Permalink

Hi Robert,
You may want to consult your state's laws on that, we are not experts on family law and as such we really could not say.

Timothy (not verified)
Sun, 03/26/2017 - 02:20 Permalink

I had roughly 75% of my two year back pay check withheld to cover child support payments. I was to receive $21,000, actually got $8,000, and the remaining $12,000+ is God knows where. However, throughout that two year period I never stopped paying my child support and am not currently behind. Any idea if this withheld amount will be returned to me? The $12,000 that's been held back is a larger amount than I have left to pay before my son turns 18. Also, the state will be garnishing the remaining child support payments from my monthly disability check. This situation doesn't make a whole lot of sense.


In reply to by Timothy (not verified)

Mon, 03/27/2017 - 10:40 Permalink

Hi Timothy,

I am so sorry to hear that. You may want to speak with a representative from the SSA about your situation. You can call toll free here: 1-800-772-1213

Best Wishes,

christy (not verified)
Thu, 03/30/2017 - 16:39 Permalink

when receiving disability back pay, what will be paid first, Attorney fees (percentage) or child support arrearage?


In reply to by christy (not verified)

Fri, 03/31/2017 - 09:18 Permalink

Hi Christy,
Generally the disability lawyer would receive his fees directly from the SSA.

Add new comment