Adult on SSI, no minor children, child support arrears payments

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 09/22/2017 - 20:27

I am an adult on SSI, I live alone, my children are grown, there is still child support arrears owed to me. What happens if I collect the money owed to me? Will this cancel my SSI benefits?

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 16:27 Permalink

Hi there,
Yes, that may be considered income for the purposes of SSI. It may make you ineligible for the month that you receive it and any months after that, but you may want to look into a special needs trust as they are exempt from SSI income limits.

Add new comment