Avoid Accusations of Fraud When Receiving Benefits

Submitted by Shane on Mon, 10/04/2010 - 09:59

Among the benefits of hiring a qualified Social Security disability attorney to help you with your disability case is the advice he or she can give you about how to steer clear of an accusation of fraud after your claim for disability benefits is approved. Unfortunately fraud cases are not uncommon and they cost the taxpayer a substantial amount of money. Therefore, the Social Security Administration is charged by the federal government with regularly reviewing each recipient’s status on a regular basis. In an effort to ensure timely review of each recipient’s status and to pay for investigation into cases of suspected fraud, Congress has increased funds for those purposes this year.

It pays to understand what sorts of situations are considered fraud by the Social Security Administration. Here are a few situations you must be sure to avoid.

Work Status. If you work while receiving disability benefits, you must report your hours and your income to the Social Security Administration. You must never attempt to conceal the fact that you work or falsify the numbers of hours you work.

Income Limits. If you are receiving disability benefits, you must report your earnings to the Social Security Administration. The agency allows you to work while receiving disability benefits, but there are limits to the income you can make and still receive benefits. In 2021, the monthly limit for a disabled person who is not blind is $1,350 per month. For a blind person, the limit is $2,260 per month. You must never conceal the fact that you make over the minimum income limit.

Residence. If you are receiving SSI benefits and you move overseas, you cannot continue to receive these benefits. If you move abroad and are receiving SSI benefits, you must notify the agency and stop receiving your SSI benefits.

Receiving Other Disability Benefits. If you are eligible for worker’s compensation or for other private, state, or federal disability benefits, your payments from SSI or SSDI may be reduced. You must tell the Social Security Administration if you apply for another type of disability benefits, if you receive a lump sum settlement due to your disabling condition, or if your previously reported benefits change or stop. Never conceal the receipt of other disability benefits, regardless of the source of those benefits.

Change of Status. If anything changes in your personal, work, or living situation, you must notify the Social Security Administration. Examples include: moving, changing your marital status, losing custody of a child for whom you have been receiving benefits, the death of a spouse or child for whom benefits are being received, being convicted of a crime, changing your name, etc. Basically, if anything changes after you are approved for disability benefits, let the agency know, as this could affect your fully insured status.

Social Security disability benefits are provided as a safety net for people who have nowhere else to turn. When their situations improve, some disability recipients are tempted to keep their monthly SSI or SSDI checks to improve a minimal standard of living. It’s understandable, but it’s a mistake that can cost them dearly.

Blog comments

Rita Conlon (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

I know two different people committing SSI Fraud Her boyfriend and father of her two children were adopted buy her mother and father. The father of her children gets food stamps but obviously he doesn't use her address or he and she would get in trouble. But if you look up on her Facebook page she's so stupid that she puts that she works And if you talk to her landlord you'll find out some kid who's been living with them for two years is also on SSI but was kicked out of his home and lives with her and her boyfriend and gives them half his SSI money and food stamps. Yeah she deff shouldn't even be on SSI she walks all over the city in the summer and winter. So what's wrong with her. And she takes care of her deadbeat boyfriend. Her children were adopted by her mother almost two years ago. So she shouldn't be allowed to even receive benefits. If she can work under the table she can find a full time job. It's not like she has to take care of her kids They don't even live with her for three years now. But her deadbeat boyfriend and father of her children is a bum who Also uses another address to get food stamps but he lives on with her. And the place that hired her to work under the table should have to pay a huge fine for that. Now the next one who is Frauding SSI and that's my downstairs neighbor. She and her husband have been Frauding SSI for years and also Citizens for citizens for Gas money for years. Her and her husband say they are Separated and that's lie... They have always lived together. So there both on SSI but the lie that they live together because I've lived I the house since I was six and they have been Frauding SSI AND Citizens for Citizens and food stamps..
They should be in jail for all that Fraud

Sun, 04/24/2016 - 14:10 Permalink
Rita (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

I have done this too. And nothing was done at all... know wonder they all do it because no one does anything about it.... it's disgusting...

Tue, 04/18/2017 - 17:35 Permalink
Tammie private (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

The person commitng fraud is

he has his own home inwhich he loves at the address. I gave..he got a huge inheritance he put it n Chase Bank name...he also has Boeing credit union .. in his and wife's name ..his cancer is in remission...this guy has a mechanic garage at his residence and makes like 100 too 600 daily he puts in his pocket.. .. he is on disability social...he acts like him and wife are separated but they live together and have huge income between both... Plus he's a veteran ..he owns lots of cars and RVs ..he's a RV tech he repairs them ..and cars.. this guy is draining all us Americans .

Fri, 09/30/2016 - 19:43 Permalink

In reply to by Tammie private (not verified)

Hi Tammie,
You can send evidence of fraud to the SSA at their address here:
Social Security Fraud Hotline
P.O. Box 17768
Baltimore, Maryland 21235

Mon, 10/03/2016 - 10:04 Permalink

In reply to by William (not verified)

Hi William,
This may not be fraud if their son is eligible for benefits based off of their income including the mineral royalties and income for wages.

Tue, 10/18/2016 - 13:07 Permalink
Derek (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

Is supposed to be working when she falls Social Security with a third party has her hospitalization is she supposed to be working butt if not I'm reporting her for a Social Security fraud

Thu, 10/20/2016 - 18:16 Permalink

In reply to by Kindra krutkie… (not verified)

Hi Kindra,
You can send evidence of fraud to the SSA at their address here:
Social Security Fraud Hotline
P.O. Box 17768
Baltimore, Maryland 21235

Tue, 01/10/2017 - 09:21 Permalink
Melanie tucker (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

Someone I know have claimed that they have been supporting 3 children . Since 2013, when she thought of a way to get extra money from his biological daughter's check she received on behalf of her father's disability (SSI). They never had custody of her children since they been married. = mother been raisng her children because she was provine unfit and had got the children taken out the home. They all three went to separate homes because she had failed drug test for social workers that came to there home. Two of the children were getting childsupport from their biological father . One of the daughter's father name is . been living with . For several years now. They been receiving my daughter s check due to her lieing to get money for her new house they had just bought because of there business that got shut down due to drug bust. He works hard for his brother . outside

Fri, 02/17/2017 - 07:18 Permalink

In reply to by Melanie tucker (not verified)

Hi Melanie,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, they can re-assign the payees for the children to the people that are taking care of them.

Fri, 02/17/2017 - 09:11 Permalink

In reply to by larry bumbalough (not verified)

Hi Larry,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to contact the SSA with this information, you can call them at 1-800-772-1213

Wed, 04/05/2017 - 09:43 Permalink
Rather not say… (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

Someone I know her Social Security Number I believe, she was born somewhere but the reason I'm turning her in its wrong what she is doing she knows and was taught honestly by her mother but her father is crooked and draws money without turning it in also he taught her well she's a very selfish person she breaks in her mothers house steals her clothes shoes mess and money and when her mother calls the law on her her daddy tells the law her mother is lying because he lets her use his social security number to work and file it in his name where she don't have to turn it in on her income and the principal lets her because she has sex with him in the vault and storage room her attic apt. Anywhere to get what she wants her daughter born on February 15,2005 is suppose to be her check but don't spend one cent on her she goes to boutiques and buy her own self clothes and steals her mothers blouses for her twin to wear then her daddy has to buy their jeans, misty steals really bad and her daddy enables her to do it but I think needs to be sent to prison with her daddy to go with her if it was me they have me in jail and thrown away the key so don't let her by with just paying it back because she has moved back in with her husband bragging and boosting about they have a bullet shop to make bullets for guns her husband lost his licenses plus he also does window tinting with no licenses then he trying to build guns for people to sell them with no licenses and daddy is going to work for him for cash and not report it that shows you that they are real convicts that don't go to prison because their money talks for them they sat back and laugh about ya being fools they are too smart for ya to catch them so I think all four of them should be in prison for life because mother draws disability and she has the machines in her garage making bullets for guns for her son he pays her cash she suppose to not be able to use her arms I think she lying on ssi too so see if it was me ya would already have me rotten don't let them off by paying the money back because they have money they made scandling people and drawing ssi in a wrong way send them all to prison plus send her daddy the first after because he tells people he's a big Christian he broke his wife's nose hit her in her face with his fist then he tried to poison her with and and his ex wife and his daughter by her he molested when she was 2 and a half years old she bought the horse medication to give him to poison his wife with then stoked her moms medical records because it name them her daddy first as trying to kill her plus he stepped out on misty mom with his ex she gave him herpes he brought them home knowing his wife didn't have no spleen to give her to kill her he has been beating her so bad she hurts all over then he calls the police saying she is abusing him she do weak she hasn't been outside in six years they call the law on her lie send her to jail she has strokes in there in jail they are trying to kill her because they stole checks with her name on them cash them she knows it she gets upset so tells her daddy she gonna control the crazy bitch she will call and put her in jail so please show them all how misty mom felt especially for sure and for sure they have told so many lies on are the ring leaders.

Sat, 04/15/2017 - 18:39 Permalink

In reply to by Rather not say… (not verified)

Hi there,
If someone is making weapons without a license for commercial sale, you may want to contact your local law enforcement and the local office of
the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms regarding this. Additionally, you can contact the SSA to report fraud at 1-800-772-1213 or by going to their website.

Mon, 04/17/2017 - 14:07 Permalink

In reply to by jackie (not verified)

Hi Jackie,
You may want to contact your local SSA office regarding this, you can also send a letter with any information you have to the SSA :

Social Security Fraud Hotline
P.O. Box 17768
Baltimore, Maryland 21235

Wed, 04/19/2017 - 15:11 Permalink
Karin (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

My son's father is incarcerated and has been off and on when he goes to jail his daughter has his debit card and retrieves the money from the bank and he can't do anything from jail & because he doesn't want her to go to jail for stealing it out of his account at one point he did 18 months and the house of correction and she retrieved all the funds and was driving a brand new car! The total amount that she stole was almost $15,000 ! She does not work, has four children and is on welfare ,food stamps and two of her kids are SSI for ADHD which she doesn't even buy them hardly anything,
He had monthly payments of $860 which he always received on the 3rd of every month this went on for 18 months this has happened three times and Social Security knew about it and did nothing he has to pay back the money why isn't she being prosecuted. He was living with her in public housing after we split up. And all his belongings we're there for the taking and she's once again back at doing the fraud from the bank taking the money out as soon as she gets it she spends it on drugs

Mon, 03/12/2018 - 03:41 Permalink
David zullo (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

My x wife
Has been getting disability money from the state of Connecticut for six and seven years there's nothing wrong with her she's working full-time in Florida in Wales Florida I pay her $1,300 a month in alimony plus the state of Connecticut gives her another 1200 a month I think she's perfectly fine she has a minor issue and now she's been working full-time and Florida she work full time in North Carolina very sad

Tue, 05/30/2017 - 13:53 Permalink

In reply to by David zullo (not verified)

Hi David,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this.

Tue, 05/30/2017 - 16:27 Permalink
Genevieve Boorse (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

Michael network is getting ssd and should NOT. He beats the system and beats up women. He rides a bike always. Does pills from his doctor. He can work
He's a loser and a conversation artist . Also he suews everyone. Just watch him

Wed, 05/31/2017 - 22:15 Permalink

In reply to by Telisha lewis (not verified)

Hi Telisha,
I'm sorry to hear about that!
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, as they can re-assign your niece's representative payee to someone who would use the benefits on her behalf. Additionally, your niece's benefits may change as she is hospitalized.

Tue, 06/20/2017 - 09:14 Permalink
Susana (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

I know some one that has his own business and is receiving ss benefits and is receiving disability plus health care and has a provider that v he doesn't use and the provider gives him the money back to this person. What can I do to stop this abuse.

Mon, 08/28/2017 - 18:13 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

i know someone who is driving a rock truck an getting Disability , i think this needs to be reported. His name is someone. He lives somewhere . i think its wrong if you are using the system but can drive an Work.

Sat, 10/21/2017 - 10:16 Permalink
Al (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

i have a neighbor which rents out his handy cap parking to others for a fee; and is now harrassing customers and employees of my place of business even though no one except those he rents to park there

Sun, 11/19/2017 - 17:32 Permalink

In reply to by Al (not verified)

Hi Al,
If your neighbor owns the parking space and is not violating the ADA by doing so, he may still be able to rent out his parking space. However, you may want to contact the authorities about the harassment.

Mon, 11/20/2017 - 11:30 Permalink
Gladys Tolliver (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

Hey, I report on someone she was use my adress so they can raise her check but she was no longer living we me at all she has been from states and been qorking from states to states

Sat, 12/30/2017 - 15:42 Permalink

In reply to by Gladys Tolliver (not verified)

Hi Gladys,
You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, you can do so by calling them at 1-800-772-1213.

Wed, 01/03/2018 - 13:57 Permalink
Anonymous (not verified)

In reply to by jane doe (not verified)

Someone is make believing he has a disability je sells his drug medication to drug dealers and he is on weed and he take other illegal drugs

Tue, 01/02/2018 - 19:56 Permalink

Add new comment