Lump sum back payment

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 13:04

I received two lump sum payments, but I have not spent all of the funds. I want to make a funeral arrangement and buy a car. How soon must I spend the lump sum payment.


In reply to by Jeri (not verified)

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 08:56 Permalink

Hi Jeri,

I am so sorry to hear that, unfortunately there is no definitive answer since every case is different.

Best of Luck

Cody (not verified)
Sun, 07/02/2017 - 18:39 Permalink

Hello, I am trying to help my mother out and find out some info being the social security administration is very vague in there answers to questions. My mother has back pay of three years and was told she will get three different installments. She needs to get a car and the first installment is not near enough to buy something decent that will last. I have heard that if you bring documentation of a vehicle for sale they will give you the money for it out of your retro lump some. Is this true? If so how long does it typically take?


In reply to by Cody (not verified)

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 11:58 Permalink

Hi Cody,
Your mother may be able to do so, however every case is different so it may take a varying amount of time for them to do so.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 07/04/2017 - 22:20 Permalink

I have one more lump son are Bay back my l ast lump son is in Nov. But am behindd in bil. Can i gef eary to oay bii amd.and about to put out are my house .how can I get out early


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 16:34 Permalink

You could qualify for an expedited payment. I would recommend calling the SSA regarding your matter. 1-800-772-1213.


Cora (not verified)
Tue, 07/04/2017 - 22:37 Permalink

I lost my behind in bill.2 month late in rent.last month help lay my dAddy to rest my Insurance on my car am behind in paying these bill.icabt walk .got to have surgery .about to loose my house how can. I get my back payment now. Suppose to in nov.but ones ur now


In reply to by Cora (not verified)

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 16:37 Permalink

Hi Cora,

I am so sorry to hear that. You could qualify for an expedited payment. I would recommend speaking to a SSA representative regarding your case.


Amanda Thompson (not verified)
Wed, 07/05/2017 - 12:59 Permalink

Social security messed up my whole case for over a year and owe me alot of mo ey back. Because of their mistake, my family and I are behind on our bills and we are practically homeless. Social security is giving me a hard time to give me some money out of my last installment which I am owed. I was planning a surprise vacation for my family next month and social security will not lend it to me.

Meka carter (not verified)
Thu, 07/06/2017 - 12:48 Permalink

How long do it take to go in front of a judge


In reply to by Meka carter (not verified)

Fri, 07/07/2017 - 09:13 Permalink

Hi Meka,

It's tough to say because it varies from city/state. It can be a long process though.

Best of Luck,

Rose (not verified)

In reply to by Meka carter (not verified)

Sat, 07/08/2017 - 16:06 Permalink

It took us a year between when the lawyer got involved and the actual hearing. You need to know that our first lawyers went bankrupt though so that took time to set us back up with all the documentation and stuff.

Christopher (not verified)
Fri, 07/07/2017 - 04:46 Permalink

Can Ssa make and direct deposit in a day or 2 at local office. And how long it take to process a dirct deposit


In reply to by Christopher (not verified)

Fri, 07/07/2017 - 08:17 Permalink

Hi Christopher,
The processing times for direct deposit can vary by financial instituition.

Kari (not verified)
Fri, 07/07/2017 - 16:27 Permalink

My mom recently received 2 checks one for me and my sister. She receives social security disability and received checks for us until we were 18. This was 20 years ago. Is this a back payment? Would we need to file this money on taxes?

Jessica snarr (not verified)
Sun, 07/09/2017 - 00:16 Permalink

I am homeless wit my 2 chrikdren and I already got one payment in May of 2,000 my next payment isn't til November will ssi help me and give me some of my back money
If I can found a place to leave I need answers asap I don't know what else to do


In reply to by Jessica snarr (not verified)

Mon, 07/10/2017 - 09:21 Permalink

Hi Jessica,

You could qualify for expedited payments due to your situation. I would recommend calling the SSA and speaking to a representative from there. 1-800-772-1213.

Best of Luck,

Annomus (not verified)
Sun, 07/09/2017 - 20:22 Permalink

My child got back pay and the ssi dept won't let me use it unless it is medical needs. My child has a mental disability not physical. I'm so confused

Add new comment