Critical case dire need processing decision writing

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sat, 01/28/2017 - 14:30

Hi. I'm in MA and had a hearing a week and a half ago (after waiting a year and a half). Since our home is close to foreclosure and other financial problems, my dire need critical case application was approved. My atty says that the judge sent my case to decision writing the next day.
How long should decision writing take and me to get a letter? I asked my atty who gave me an estimate, but I'd like to know thoughts here, please and thank you

Tue, 02/07/2017 - 09:14 Permalink

I'm sorry to hear that! You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, as they may be able to expedite benefits after approval. I really could not say how long the decision process will be in your case as every case is different and thus may have varying decision times.

Debra O'Neal (not verified)
Tue, 05/09/2017 - 01:47 Permalink

I have been waiting since July 2016 for my hearing. Can I get it expedited? I will be 61 years old. I have long term disability through my work which will be done the end of July 2017. I then wil have no income and will become homeless. Can my attorney get this expedited?

In reply to by Debra O'Neal (not verified)

Wed, 05/10/2017 - 08:58 Permalink

I would recommend speaking with your attorney on this. If you are approved you can get your payments expedited though.

Best of Luck,

April (not verified)
Tue, 08/01/2017 - 15:56 Permalink

I had my dire need hearing on 6-30-17 and I still haven't heard anything regarding a decision!!?? Any thoughts??!!

In reply to by April (not verified)

Wed, 08/02/2017 - 10:04 Permalink

Hi April,

No need to sweat it. Unfortunately Social Security decisions can take a long time.

Best Wishes,

Tray (not verified)
Sun, 09/24/2017 - 17:16 Permalink

Ive been 9 month 2nd denial now appealed for judge decision However i could not see my lung specialist . He wrote an emergency letter saying i need oxygen i have no money im pennyless at this point he also plainly stated i cant work again i cant even prepare meals due to hand cramps that are a side effect of my breathing meds. My dr must have written letter the minute i left his office it been sent in since the 13th of Sept. Im sure they ask for a decision so doesnt have to go b4 the judge. How long does this take? Im gonna die i cant breath its awful work 42 years straight can get what is rightfully yours?

In reply to by Tray (not verified)

Mon, 09/25/2017 - 15:38 Permalink

Hi Tray,

I am so sorry to hear that. Unfortunately there is no black and white answer for this. I would recommend regularly checking in the status of your account on Ssa.gov

Fran (not verified)
Mon, 11/13/2017 - 15:21 Permalink

I had my odar hearing 2 mths ago, I became homeless 2 weeks ago, my atty requested an expedited decision at that time & today the Judge approved me for "critical need" & actually made his decision on my case & sent it to the writers. My question is, is his approval for critical need an indication at all that my SSDI has probably been approved? My thought is that if he was going to deny the case, then approving me for critical need wouldn't accomplish anything, since i wouldnt be getting any money. I think it would only make sense to approve the critical need if he approved the SSDI benefits (there's no SSI or anything else, just straight up SSDI). Am I thinking correctly?

In reply to by Fran (not verified)

Wed, 11/15/2017 - 09:39 Permalink

Hi Fran,
You may be eligible for SSI and SSDI benefits, however the SSA may provide the SSI benefits untill your SSDI decision is made, and they may ask for the SSI funds back out of your SSDI back pay.

Kelly (not verified)
Thu, 12/28/2017 - 10:39 Permalink

I had my hearing in July 2017 and understand a decision has been made in my case, but I don't know what that is. How long do we have to wait to find out a decision? My atty says you are back logged and it will be a few months. Well, it's been that long and then some. I have since had even more health problems and am desperate to get an answer and support. What can be done to get answers?

In reply to by Kelly (not verified)

Tue, 01/02/2018 - 13:40 Permalink

Hi Kelly,
We are not affiliated with the SSA or the federal government, so we don't have information about your specific case. You can contact the SSA by calling them at 1-800-772-1213.

Tawana (not verified)
Thu, 01/04/2018 - 16:07 Permalink

My case has been almost 6.0 years even with critical file holding. All evidence is clear and laws adequately proven. Why is it taking this long. The appeals counsel sent my case for another reconsideration process which was not understood. What is that was not clear when they could approve the case for the full amount. My partner and husband at the time gets most all his benefits. 779.00 is so not acurrate im screaming. I worked in business and regular employment. I showed government documents proving the valadiate process. Once a case time has went to the whatever time of making money off the case the client full benefits are due. So what is the hold up. Plus older case files are suppose to get priority in catagory and processed faster.

In reply to by Tawana (not verified)

Fri, 01/05/2018 - 15:10 Permalink

Hi Tawana,
I really could not say, we are not affiliated with the SSA and as such we don't have specific information on cases.

Jacob Crotts (not verified)
Tue, 02/20/2018 - 16:21 Permalink

The judge approved my disability at my hearing and now what am I waiting on?

Michele (not verified)
Wed, 02/21/2018 - 12:08 Permalink

My ssi case went from decisions writing to post review this week. What does that mean?

Homeless. Won … (not verified)
Fri, 02/23/2018 - 12:25 Permalink

My attorney filed an on the record request. The judge e mailed stating i would be getting fully favorable decision. Status on website says hearing postponed. Case under review. Could i still get denied? How long to get money. I m a dire needs case. Cant go on like THIS!?

Fri, 03/02/2018 - 18:10 Permalink

If I am a dire needs case will I have to wait for award ad my 18th months backpay?

Lisa (not verified)
Fri, 03/09/2018 - 15:45 Permalink

I had my hearing 2 months ago. I called my odar office yesterday they said mt case is in line for writing. What does that mean.

In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Mon, 03/12/2018 - 16:48 Permalink

Hi Lisa,

I am not sure what you are referring to with your case in line for writing. Unfortunately, it usually takes about five months to find out the decision for your hearing. If you worked with an attorney I would contact them as they sometimes find out the decision faster. Best of luck!

In reply to by Jojool (not verified)

Tue, 03/13/2018 - 15:17 Permalink

Hi Jojool,

Unfortunately each case is different so the amount of time it takes to review varies. I would contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213. If you have a lawyer, you can also contact him/her to see if they can provide any insight.

Marquari (not verified)
Tue, 03/13/2018 - 18:09 Permalink

My hearing was January 2018 I called the ODAR office and they said the judge has made a decision and the writers have it but they are behind. I asked could they tell me the decision because I’m might end up homeless. He said he couldn’t because the decision might change. What does this mean!

In reply to by Marquari (not verified)

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 14:51 Permalink

Sorry to hear that, but it doesn't meant that your case was denied though. They just can't disclose that information until everything is finalized.

Tina (not verified)
Thu, 07/19/2018 - 17:26 Permalink

Had my hearing on 6-15-2018 it's been 5 weeks called ssi said it's in the works what does that mean?

Lenny (not verified)
Tue, 09/18/2018 - 15:44 Permalink

I just talked to a representative at the hearing office. And she stated that the judge made a decision in the 13th of this month. How long will it take before i know what the decision is?

In reply to by Lenny (not verified)

Wed, 09/19/2018 - 16:22 Permalink

Hi Lenny,

If you had a lawyer for your hearing, you can contact him or her to see if they have heard your decision. Often your lawyer received the decision before you.

Penny (not verified)
Sat, 10/13/2018 - 16:50 Permalink

I posted but it doesn't seem like you guys want to put it out there I just finally got my processes decision writing process and I was fully favored this was just a couple of days ago how long does it take to get your first check or your back pay or anything like that be grateful if you could tell me

In reply to by Penny (not verified)

Mon, 10/15/2018 - 16:42 Permalink

Hi Penny,

Backpay typically comes about four months after you start receiving benefits. If you are approved, you should receive an awards letter saying when your benefits will begin.

Jesse T (not verified)
Tue, 11/20/2018 - 14:25 Permalink

It's been 4 weeks since my hearing called social security and they said there still reviewing my case is that good or bad

In reply to by Jesse T (not verified)

Tue, 11/20/2018 - 15:10 Permalink

Hi Jesse,

It varies on how long it takes for a decision to be made. It is neither good or bad if they are still reviewing it. If you had a lawyer at your hearing, you can try contacting him or her to see if they have heard a decision.

Andrew (not verified)
Sun, 03/17/2019 - 18:59 Permalink

I went for my hearing Dec 6th , found out that it a awaiting a decision writer what could this mean as far as as being approved or denied

Sun, 11/03/2019 - 22:26 Permalink

Hey how long did it take

CM

Thu, 11/07/2019 - 16:37 Permalink

It varies on how long it takes for a decision to be made. If you had a lawyer at your hearing, you can try contacting him or her to see if they have heard a decision.

Kandace (not verified)
Thu, 12/12/2019 - 10:24 Permalink

The judge told me that I was approved for my case fully favorable but now u have to wait I'm the written decision I'm so confused ecspecially since he already said that I won my casecasep

In reply to by Kandace (not verified)

Fri, 12/13/2019 - 13:45 Permalink

Hi Kandace,

The written decision the judge is referring to is the letter you should be getting stating you won your case. In it, you should find out if you're receiving back pay, how much your benefits are for, etc.

Tiffany (not verified)
Sat, 03/21/2020 - 16:36 Permalink

Ok the ODAR told me my claim on January 27, 2020 was expedited and is flagged as critical so what happens now from this point? Do I have a good chance at being approved?

In reply to by Tiffany (not verified)

Fri, 03/27/2020 - 16:17 Permalink

Hi Tiffany,

If your case is tagged as critical, then the SSA will likely speed up the process and you should hear a decision back faster than if it was not critical.

Tiffany (not verified)
Sat, 05/16/2020 - 22:56 Permalink

So do dire need cases usually get approved or they just help those of us in different situations? I have been diagnosed with several other things since I got my case flagged as dire need. I'm waiting for a hearing I have been assigned to an ALJ already.

Deanderia Redd (not verified)
Wed, 06/17/2020 - 12:25 Permalink

I file for a dire need and it was denied does that mean that my case will be denied as well

In reply to by Deanderia Redd (not verified)

Fri, 06/19/2020 - 13:45 Permalink

Hi Deandria,

It's possible to be denied for dire need but still approved for disability benefits. It may just be long to hear back a decision.