Lump sum back payment

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 13:04

I received two lump sum payments, but I have not spent all of the funds. I want to make a funeral arrangement and buy a car. How soon must I spend the lump sum payment.

Bee (not verified)
Fri, 03/30/2018 - 21:33 Permalink

My daughter was approved. I got a deposit for 2162 today 3/30/18. I apply in February 2018 but my daughter final medical condition was put on record November 2017. Should I expect another payment for April? Are back pay and monthly payment in one payment. I haven't received a award letter yet? Just curious

In reply to by Bee (not verified)

Mon, 04/02/2018 - 15:54 Permalink

Hi Bee,

I would recommend calling the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 or speaking with a rep at your local SSA office regarding that.

herminio (not verified)
Tue, 04/03/2018 - 16:11 Permalink

what can i do if i want to buy a car with my back payment of ssi

In reply to by herminio (not verified)

Tue, 04/03/2018 - 16:43 Permalink

Always double check with the SSA first. It should be okay, but just check in just to be safe. When you do buy the car, make sure you keep all records of the payment.

Wed, 04/04/2018 - 11:45 Permalink

How can I find out when my SSI lump sum will come to me?

Jennifer E Gordon (not verified)
Tue, 07/03/2018 - 17:44 Permalink

When will I receive my lump sum payment ? Approved May 21st 2018.

In reply to by Jennifer E Gordon (not verified)

Thu, 07/05/2018 - 16:18 Permalink

Hi Jennifer,

You should expect backpay about four months after you start to receive your benefits.

Elizabeth (not verified)
Thu, 07/26/2018 - 19:32 Permalink

Here is what SSI says regarding the Lump Sum that was given to my son:

Dedicated Accounts for SSI Back Payments

If your child has recently been approved for SSI and is due a large back payment of benefits,
then you will be required to open a dedicated bank account for the funds and the use of those
funds will be subject to very specific restrictions.

The dedicated account must be a separate checking, savings, or money market account from
the one that is used for standard monthly SSI benefits.

The funds in the account must be maintained separately from all other funds, including
monthly benefit deposits from SSI.

The back payment funds cannot be used to purchase stocks, bonds, CDs, or any other form
of secured or unsecured investment.

The account must be registered showing your child as the owner of the funds and any and all
interest that may be accrued on the account.

Funds from your child’s dedicated account can be spent only on the following:

Medical treatment and related expenses
Educational expenses, including job and skills training costs
Special equipment, skilled nursing assistance, home modification costs, and rehab or therapy
expenses

His father put the funds in his own bank account, not a dedicated account for our son. The lump sum that was given to my son is now gone, his father spent it. None of it was used for any of the uses that are allowed, as stated above. What can I do for my son regarding this money?

Martha Vanessa White (not verified)
Mon, 07/30/2018 - 16:02 Permalink

What is my balance back pay SSI installments

In reply to by Martha Vanessa White (not verified)

Mon, 07/30/2018 - 16:48 Permalink

Hi Martha,

We are not affiliated with the SSA, so we do not know. To find out you will need to call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213.

Silvia Mcheown (not verified)
Tue, 08/14/2018 - 21:22 Permalink

How I Got A Loan After Much Struggle

I am Silvia Mcheown residing in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I have been struggling financially for a while now and wasn't able to get a loan from my bank and other credit union I applied with due to my credit score. But a friend of mine told me about Kendrick Investments Limited and how she was helped by Mr Christopher Kendrick with a loan. At first I doubted her because I have tried a lots of lenders who could not help me out due to poor credit. She advised I give a try to be convinced, so I contacted them via email: kendrickinvestmentslimited@outlook.com and after going through the loan process they granted me a loan amount of $42,000 as applied on the 2nd of August 2018. I want to reach out to everyone out there in need of financial assistance kindly contact this company for your loan assistance.

Elizabeth Bowens (not verified)
Mon, 10/01/2018 - 07:28 Permalink

When will I get my next lump sum

Racheal Uballe (not verified)
Fri, 10/19/2018 - 09:23 Permalink

I can not work due to head trauma and I rely on my benefits. I didn’t get for October. I have no good or money who can I talk to receive payments. I barely make enough to live comfortable who can help me?

leonard (not verified)
Fri, 11/02/2018 - 13:24 Permalink

did you send me a confirmation email? if so send it again it went in trash and i accidently deleted it

In reply to by leonard (not verified)

Fri, 11/02/2018 - 14:11 Permalink

Hi Leonard,

We are not affiliated with the SSA or Federal Government. You may want to call the SSA about your email. Their number is 1-800-772-1213.

Gordon L Stough (not verified)
Fri, 11/16/2018 - 13:39 Permalink

If i want to buy a car, and want to use my back pay money, how do I do that?

In reply to by Gordon L Stough (not verified)

Fri, 11/16/2018 - 15:21 Permalink

Hi Gordon,

Make sure to keep all physical records of that transaction, so the SSA knows exactly that you spent that money on a car. You should always double check with the SSA first as well, it's always best to double check just to be safe.

John (not verified)
Tue, 11/20/2018 - 14:47 Permalink

Where can I find a Doctor to sign a letter for me to buy me a vehicle due to my disability. My back payments.

Tue, 01/08/2019 - 15:43 Permalink

if im getting 9000 dollars backpay from ssi do i get it all at once

Wed, 01/09/2019 - 14:49 Permalink

No, you won't get it all at once. SSI backpay comes in 3 separate of installments about 6 months a part. Your first installment typically comes 4 months after you begin receiving your benefits.

David (not verified)
Wed, 01/30/2019 - 22:46 Permalink

SSA is withhold my benefits from July 2017 to December 2018 but that’s my back pay and I don’t know why?

Sam (not verified)
Thu, 03/07/2019 - 15:54 Permalink

My minor child was finally approved for SSI after 4 years will her back pay be put into her account all at once or every six months

Stephanie Miller (not verified)
Tue, 04/23/2019 - 11:42 Permalink

I was approved for ssdi on April 1,2019. I will be getting my first monthly payment in May. When will I receive my back pay benefits.
I won my case on the first initial process.!

In reply to by Stephanie Miller (not verified)

Wed, 04/24/2019 - 16:43 Permalink

Hi Stephanie,

Congrats! Back pay typically comes about 4 months after you begin receiving disability benefits.

Mary (not verified)
Wed, 06/05/2019 - 16:27 Permalink

If a child has autism whats the lump some be and how much income a month will be

In reply to by Mary (not verified)

Thu, 06/06/2019 - 13:35 Permalink

Hi Mary,

That is all situational! For back pay, it varies on when you apply for benefits, how long it takes to be approved and when the SSA considers the date of onset of the disability is. For monthly income, the maximum is dependent on income, needs, cost-of-living, etc.)

Deelian (not verified)
Mon, 08/05/2019 - 13:50 Permalink

Im disabled i still have some payments due to me. I have 2 more lump some payments. Who and how to find out when my next back pay will come to me.

In reply to by Deelian (not verified)

Wed, 08/07/2019 - 17:36 Permalink

Hi Deelian,

Back pay typically comes in installments 6 months apart! So it should be about 6 months after your first payment.

John (not verified)
Fri, 10/25/2019 - 01:26 Permalink

If my backpay was issued October 25 when should I receive it

CM

In reply to by John (not verified)

Fri, 10/25/2019 - 11:16 Permalink

Hi John,

Backpay is usually issued in three installments, each three months apart from each other.

Alma (not verified)
Thu, 11/14/2019 - 09:26 Permalink

What number do you call to request money from youre back pay

Ray (not verified)
Mon, 12/09/2019 - 13:12 Permalink

I have my ssi an have gotten 1 back pay check. But needd dc the restyle do I get it

CM

In reply to by Ray (not verified)

Fri, 12/13/2019 - 14:15 Permalink

Hi Ray,

Backpay typically comes in 3 installments each 6 months apart. If you would like expedited back pay you should contact the SSA. 1 (800) 772-1213

Sharon (not verified)
Tue, 12/10/2019 - 10:47 Permalink

Confused, First you said Disabilty Back pay is payed 6 months apart, then you said 3 months apart.... which one is it.

Charles (not verified)
Thu, 01/30/2020 - 12:57 Permalink

I have my final back pay in april.can i get an emergency fund .to get an apt.for next month to pay for the move in amount.

In reply to by Charles (not verified)

Thu, 01/30/2020 - 16:43 Permalink

Hi Charles,

You'll have to contact the SSA about that! You can call them at 1-800-772-1213 or make an appointment to visit your local SSA office to ask for expedited back pay.

Sharon (not verified)
Thu, 02/06/2020 - 20:01 Permalink

My sister was on society security disability , she got a large back payment . she was in a nursing home for dementia the nursing home took it all she was 60 years old I got her out of the nursing home and found this out can they do this

mts

In reply to by Sharon (not verified)

Fri, 02/07/2020 - 14:55 Permalink

Hi Sharon,

I am sorry to hear that. This one looks like it might fall outside of our expertise and I would recommend speaking to an attorney that handles cases in the finance/estate/nursing home area. Best of luck

Shelia (not verified)
Thu, 02/06/2020 - 21:05 Permalink

If I were able get a settlement from my divorce, can I use the divorce settlement to buy a car? Does SSA only allow the use of back-pay they owe me to buy a car? If that's the case , how much would they give me to get the car? I don't have a car and need one for medical treatments and survival.

mts

In reply to by Shelia (not verified)

Fri, 02/07/2020 - 14:52 Permalink

Hi Shelia,

This is a situation where I would give them a call and they will be able to give you more information based on your specific case. There are a couple of things that might affect your answer and they will be able to look at that and let you know what you are able to do with your settlement money.