You are here

Depression/Anxiety

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Depression/Anxiety

My husband was recently diagnosed with depression/anxiety. He can work but can easily get over whelmed and starts getting depressed. Can he qualify for disability?

Anonymous
he needs a history of it and

he needs a history of it and being on medications and treatment helps a lot. If he can get a doctor to say it will last 12 months and it's bad enough to effect work then he might have a chance.

That is very correct! It's

That is very correct! It's especially true if you can prove that your medication did not improve your symptoms.

yellowrose
You want to know whats not

You want to know whats not fair,I have anxiety, depression phycosis, disc degeneration, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and I am working, on medications, to scared to quit my job and wait a year and lose everything I have, it's not much but its mine. I also take medication for all of it, I have for years. I just cant get help.

Hi Yellowrose,

Hi Yellowrose,
So sorry to hear that! Have you tried taking our free disability evaluation yet? http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/form/free-disability-evaluation

LolaXCole893
I'm a 22 year old

I'm a 22 year old working student. Part time worker, part time student. I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder and depression. I'm failing in school because I can't concentrate and I've been promoted and demoted at work because of my lack of concentration and pace. I've felt like I've been depressed since I was 10 and now I'm 22 and finally decided to do something about it. Would I qualify for ssdi or ssi?

Hi Lola,

Hi Lola,
SSDI is based off of work record and you may not have enough work credits to qualify. For SSI, you would need to meet the income and resource limits for SSI. It's a long process, and it may be a good idea to reach out to a disability advocate or lawyer to help you through the process. If you fill out the form in the link below, we can have one reach out to you:
http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/form/free-disability-evaluation

Jennifer
I had to quit my job to stay

I had to quit my job to stay home to take care of my 16 yr old who has been diagnosed with ocd , anxiety and depression. He had to be home schooled because he couldnt be in a classroom setting. he has been put on some medication recently. Can i get supplementary ssi income for taking care of him and not being able to work any more?

Hi Jennifer,

Hi Jennifer,
Your child may qualify for disability benefits based on his condition, it may be a good idea to reach out to the SSA to schedule an application for benefits. You can call 1-800-772-1213 and they may connect you to your local SSA office.

Bill
I have stage 4 colorectal

I have stage 4 colorectal cancer with me stasis to lung on disability how often will I be reviewed I am 52 years old?

Hi Bill,

Hi Bill,
I'm sorry to hear about that! I wouldn't be able to say how often you would be reviewed, but I think it might not be something that would happen often enough to worry about.

jon
traumatic brain injury

traumatic brain injury diagnosed as a child is very emotionally debilitating my concern is m wife history and her not understanding or caring enough to understand the medications are bad to me as she yells out at me take your drugs you drug addict to make my neighbor's uncomfortable to me of me with their children I love children we could not have children I need social justice and help ne have calling insane Retartded stupid

Hi Jon,

Hi Jon,
I'm sorry to hear about that! It may be a good idea to apply for disability benefits for your condition. However, many people are denied the first time they apply, so it may be a good idea to contact a disability advocate or attorney. We can have one reach out to you if you fill out this form here:

Brynn
Hello,

Hello,
Im a 31 y/o suffering from Chronic Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder, PTSD, and two herniated discs in the back.
I filed SSI the first time in 2011, and just this past March got my 4th denial. It took 4yrs.
In April I reapplied and am pretty certain I will be denied again.
But my question is does it count for anything that the city has deemed me disabled and switched my insurance over to straight Medicaid because I cannot work??

Hi Brynn,

Hi Brynn,
You may be eligible for benefits, but it may be a good idea to contact a disability advocate or attorney.We can have one reach out to you if you fill out the form on the left or go here:

stephon johnson
i have schizoaffecive

i have schizoaffecive disorder, social anxiety and hiv, i have been going to my doctor for more than 2 years and i see a woman in black sometimes and hear voices and cant concentrate on anythign relly and cry alot, i am on medication but i can barely make it to my doctor at times, is my conditons sever in your opinion im only 26 years old i had ssi when i was younger

Hi Stephon,

Hi Stephon,
I am not a doctor and cannot give you a medical opinion, but as a layman, that does sound severe! It may be a good idea to contact a disability advocate or attorney, they may be able to help you file for disability and help you appeal your case if you need to do that. You can get in touch with one by using this form:

tanya
hi I just went to my hearing

hi I just went to my hearing they postponed the decisionuntil the records from phsyciatrist get there. do you think that means imay hav a chance

Hi Tanya,

Hi Tanya,
I really could not say in your particular case,but the fact that they want to wait for psychiatric records may be a promising sign.

Kerri
I applied for ssi or ssdi I

I applied for ssi or ssdi I have been seeing a psychiatrist and counsolor for 1 year and 4 months. I was diagnosed with ptsd , bipolar, insomnia , severe anxiety and depression and terrible night tertors also have high blood pressure I take serequel,ambiam,remron, lamotrine, lotrel, hydroxazine daily to try to cope with everyday life I just got off phone with disability determination board and they said the psychologist reviewed my claim and is now with the medical doctor for review. Does this mean the psychologist denied it if he gave to medical doctor for review

Hi Kerri,

Hi Kerri,
That may not mean that the psychologist denied your application, however it is just one part of the process and may not indicate what the disposition of your application is.

Goldie7
Hi,

Hi,
I have bipolar2 & generalized anxiety disorder. My Dr. says I can work just not under supervision. I'm out of work now for going on a month & applying for my short term disability. Should I even consider going for disability? He also put on my short term dis. that work worsened my condition. HELP! Oh. I've been in Intensive out/pat 2x , therapy since 09' , & I'm on 2 antidpressants , geodon for bipolar, & 2 anti anxiety meds (ativan & propananpol.)

Hi there,

Hi there,
You may want to speak with your local social security office, you can find a listing of offices here:
http://www.disability-benefits-help.org/social-security-disability-locat...

Flo
I suffer from depression

I suffer from depression anxiety OCD lethargy. It's hard for me to work focus I have very low energy I also have social anxiety. I am afraid I could lose custody of my kids if I apply for Ssdi. I am divorced. I am capable of taking care of the kids.

Hi Flo,

Hi Flo,

I am very sorry to hear that. I would recommend speaking to a disability rights advocate about your situation. Wishing you nothing but the best.

-Eric

Paula
My appeal decision came in

My appeal decision came in and went to audit a month ago so they won't tell me decision or how long in audit. What does that mean

Hi Paula,

Hi Paula,
I really can't say what it means for your case, however it appears the SSA is reviewing your case. Every case is different so the audit may take varying amounts of time.

RawSerene
Thank you everyone for the

Thank you everyone for the informative posts. It is indeed helpful :)

Corey
Am I able to attend

Am I able to attend university while on disability?

Hi Corey,

Hi Corey,

Yes you will be able to!

Best of Luck,
Eric

antiqua
I lost my left eye from my

I lost my left eye from my abusive & molesting step dad when i was 3. I wore glasses all my life until the age of 14 then i switched to contacts until I became 18 and stopped wearing them. in 2014 i developed depression when i found out that my mother had been lying to me about what really happened and was denied in AZ SSA twice though the second time they messed up my paper work saying I had a spouse which i been single all my life. I moved to NJ with my boyfriend in 2015 and is in the process of applying 2017 again due to losing vision in my left eye now along with still suffering with depression.

Hi Antiqua,

Hi Antiqua,
I'm sorry to hear about that! Best of luck in the application process.

antiqua
thank you bryan, I just went

thank you bryan, I just went to an eye expert and my vision is 20/100 with glasses and 20/50 without them meaning when i am not wearing them everything is a big blurr. the eye expert was confused saying i needed stronger glasses and that i should take them to get them redone. Does that mean I may qualify for ssi? I somehow have a feeling i will not win the case. is there a way to get a ssi lawyer for free until winning the case? because I do not have money to buy a ssi lawyer..

Hi There,

Hi There,

Social Security lawyers are only paid if you win your case. You can speak to one if you fill out our Free Disability Evaluation:https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/form/free-disability-evaluation

Sheri
I have severe depression and

I have severe depression and anxiety. My father and his dad had depression and my brother is bi-polar. The older I get the worse it gets. My boss is a bully and she is completely ruining my life. I go for help at our Guidance Center. I have been going now for 26 years. I just turned 60. I find that I have trouble writing and concentrating at work. I work with the public and have worked all my life. I have tried various medicines and I would be afraid to not take them. Now I have developed this anger that hits me where I feel like I am out of control and want to hit something like a wall or something. The older I get the more I feel my symptoms coming from what my dad always talked about. I wonder about SSI. If not if I could just make it 2 more years.

Hi Sheri,

Hi Sheri,
I'm sorry to hear that! It's important to know that if you're currently working, you will not qualify for disability.

Angie
I have been recieving

I have been recieving disability since 2013 i just went through my first review after waiting 4 months and they are stopping my benefits. Is is possible to appeal and win my case.

Hi Angie,

Hi Angie,
It is! You may want to file an appeal in your case.

Anonymous
Remember that a psychiatrist

Remember that a psychiatrist/psychologist will evaluate you to see if you are a danger to yourself or others. If he feels you are suicidal/major chronic depression -

That is true. Thanks for

That is true. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Michael
I submitted an application

I submitted an application for disability benefits in Nov '17. Yesterday, they canceled the doctor visit that they scheduled weeks ago based on psych profile that confirmed that I have MCI and anxiety disorder, among other things from another doctor. I'm 60.

My status now says this: A medical decision has been made and we are working to process your benefit application. A Social Security Representative may contact you directly if we need any additional documents or information.

I'm thinking this is a good omen and wondered what others think.

Hi Michael,

Hi Michael,

That's a standard response from the SSA. It just means they are reviewing your case and you should be hearing from them in the near future. Best of luck!

Cidney
I have depression and anxiety

I have depression and anxiety got fully dignosed 2016 and two month ago i got dignosed with ptsd i try to work but it hard i start felling dizzy and everthing start turning all a sudden i cant cautch me breath iv been working at bk for a month but i cant keep doing this can i get disability

Hi There,

Hi There,

I am so sorry to hear that. You could be able qualify for disability benefits, though for conditions like that is a little tough to get approved. Just make sure that you have all of your medical records in order and have a note from your primary care regarding your condition.

Michelle
I had a Tia stroke and this

I had a Tia stroke and this has cause me severe anxiety and depression which I have been diagnosed by an pychology. I do not sleep at night I can not concentrate and I am severely depressed. Could I get ssi from those systems

Hi Michelle,

Hi Michelle,

It's possible, if you believe that you will be out of work for at least 12 months.

Anonymous
I have had severe depression,

I have had severe depression, anxiety, ptsd, bipolar, and insomnia since I was 14, I am now 30. I have been denied twice already. I did fill out an evaluation questioner. My question is, if an attorney does help me get approved will they go all the way back to when I was first diagnosed?

Hi There,

Hi There,

You will get backpay that goes back from the date in which you first applied, not the date of your actual diagnosis

tabi
scoliosis prevents me from

scoliosis prevents me from standing setting, moving ang carrying things for minutes of the day. working in the past got me on pain pills, which got me hip c. in recovery now but cant work constant pain. also I have post pardon depression, anxiety.

Hi Tabi,

Hi Tabi,

Scoliosis is found under Blue Book listing 1.04 Disorders of the Spine. You can review the listing with your doctor to see if you medically qualify. Best of luck.

Kelly
I have alot of mental

I have alot of mental conditions I have never really been able to hold a job BECAUSE of my condition and wondering if I can get help I have no income

Pages

Add new comment