Do I Qualify?

Submitted by Deanna on Fri, 10/23/2015 - 13:11

I was just wondering if i were to qualify for social Security. I have Cerebal Palsey and epilepsy seziures. I recently turned 18 and my parents said i was able to collect social security since i was diagnosis at the age of 3. But they never did because they were my parents. But now since im growing up i think it would really help me out. I'm the only one in my family to have a disability with sezuires and epilepsy seziures. This is all new to my parents and I so i would very much appreciate the help. Please and thank you!


D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:58 Permalink

Hi there,
Unfortunately, if you've been a homemaker and have not paid FICA taxes, you will not qualify for SSDI benefits. If your husband makes a "very good" living you will definitely not qualify for SSI either, as the household maximum income for a couple applying for SSI is $1,100 per month.

Andrea (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:59 Permalink

Do I qualify for ssi if I'm only 4'5" tall?

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:59 Permalink

Hi Andrea,
Most likely, no. Height alone is not a disabling condition listed by the SSA. You would need some other thing that disables you, such as mental impairments or muscular issues.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:59 Permalink

Im55 havent work since 1984 cant read cant get a jobnow im homeless

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 10:59 Permalink

Hi there,
How did you write that sentence if you cannot read?
You cannot qualify for SSDI because you haven't worked in the last 30 years, but you could qualify for SSI.

Matthew (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:00 Permalink

I was just diagnosed with anxiety and low grade depression by my mental health clinic. And on top of that I have high blood pressure. Ive been having a hard time going in to work whether its from the high bp or from the anxiety. I was wondering if I qualify for disability?

D (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:00 Permalink

Hi Matthew,
It is very, very hard to get disability benefits for depression and anxiety. High blood pressure is also a challenging case to win. I would not recommend applying for disability benefits unless you have been diagnosed with a mental disability for at least two years. You will also need to show that you have been taking medication for your illnesses and that the medication has not helped.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/05/2015 - 11:00 Permalink

I have Degenerative disk DDD, high blood pressure, ADHD, Anxiety, learning disability documented since elementary school.central Disk protrusions at l5 s1. Chronic back pain, can't stay focused. Trouble completing task. Short term memory problems. Sciatica, hypogonadism low T, muscle spasms, fatigue, dizziness, mood swings and panic attacks. Weakness and numbness in left leg. Right arm. What are my chances of getting SSD. I have enough work credits. My conditions are getting worse. I've only worked a few months this year. I just can't do the job I once could. And with the medication I take I'm at a high risk for an accident. I don't know what to do. I've never let my disabilities get the best of me. This year has just been a bad year for me. I'd rather work. I tried doing light duty for a week. But 4-5 hour of sitting was all I could take. Sometimes less.

Raymond Babcock (not verified)
Tue, 11/10/2015 - 19:32 Permalink

how much money have I paid into social security.

Richard Swartz (not verified)
Thu, 12/03/2015 - 08:53 Permalink

I have a bunion on my right foot that flares up time to time as well as calluses on the other side of that same foot that flare up as well from time to time.


In reply to by Richard Swartz (not verified)

Thu, 12/03/2015 - 09:20 Permalink

Hi Richard,
A bunion will in no way qualify you for disability benefits. They are easily treatable and millions of people still work with bunions and blisters.

Anthony (not verified)
Wed, 12/09/2015 - 06:38 Permalink

I have ADHD,also have deter
I am ADHD,also sciatica,on my left side,I have degenerative disc disc disease,lumbar and levoscoliosis,also have hip C ,I also have a felony on my record its hard for me to focus and comprehend things would I qualify for disability? Got turned down for sis. Plez can anyone tell me what I should do scared to death thanks

pam (not verified)
Wed, 12/09/2015 - 16:57 Permalink

Do I quify for disablity. I had a stroke that made my left side weak. I have deep depression. My depression has got worse in the past year. My daudgter was murder. My face swallows when I am really upset m


In reply to by pam (not verified)

Tue, 12/15/2015 - 12:01 Permalink

Hi Pam,
That's horrible. I would highly recommend applying for disability benefits. If you have the medical records showing that you have difficulty moving from the stroke and PTSD from the incident, then you could qualify for disability benefits.

jan Richardson (not verified)
Wed, 12/16/2015 - 10:11 Permalink

i have had screws and wires iny left shoulder can i get disability


In reply to by jan Richardson (not verified)

Fri, 12/18/2015 - 16:17 Permalink

Hi Jan,
Probably not. If you had work done on your shoulder, this probably means that you have more mobility than before. You could only get disability benefits if you could prove that you are in so much pain and have so much difficulty moving that you are unable to do any work that you are qualified for.

Mary Susan (not verified)
Sun, 12/20/2015 - 01:32 Permalink

I am back to work at present but due to serious complications I have to have surgery 2/3/2016. The doctor told me to expect to be out of work for at least 6 weeks if the surgery goes well without complications.


In reply to by Mary Susan (not verified)

Mon, 12/21/2015 - 13:57 Permalink

Hi Mary,
I do not think you will qualify for benefits. Disability recipients need to be out of work for at least 12 MONTHS. Your surgery will put you out of work for 1.5 months.

alex (not verified)
Tue, 12/22/2015 - 16:22 Permalink

My 17 year old son has been getting daily migrains for over a year. We were told he has chronic cervicogenic headaches and has been getting weekly injections for months but its not helping much. Would he qualify for disability?


In reply to by alex (not verified)

Mon, 12/28/2015 - 16:38 Permalink

Hi Alex,
That sounds pretty hard. Potentially! He will need to prove that his headaches affect his ability to do schoolwork or participate in childhood games.
You will also need to keep in mind that your household income will be taken into account because he is under age 18. If you or a spouse have a moderate to high income, he will not qualify for benefits.

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 01/02/2016 - 12:55 Permalink

Having a hip replacement, can I qualify for disability? Kim


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Mon, 01/04/2016 - 16:46 Permalink

Hi Kim,
Probably not, because hip replacements dramatically improve mobility and they typically heal within a few months. If you are out of 12 months however, you could qualify.

Cathy (not verified)
Sun, 01/03/2016 - 06:43 Permalink

Hi, I am Going to be 62 this February and I had some questions. I have been working since 1972, and have always been in retail jobs which require you to stand and move around. Lifting heavy boxes climbing ladders and many other things that are very stressful. I used to be able to work with no problem, but the past 4 yrs have been agonizing. I fell off a ladder at wotk and broke my knee. I have diabetes and back, leg, and foot problems. I can't walk up stairs good, I can't stand very long because the small of my back starts hurting which shoots pain down into my legs and I have neurapathy in my feet. I have a high school diploma and helping customers and sales are all I have done for those many yrs.Please let me know what you think. Thank you.


In reply to by Cathy (not verified)

Mon, 01/04/2016 - 16:48 Permalink

Hi Cathy,
It sounds like you will have a MUCH better chance of qualifying than many other people. This is because you work a physical job, you've always worked a physical job, you're an older adult so you will not likely be retrained for a desk job, and you do not have a college degree. I would ask your doctor to fill out an RFC for you. It will discuss what work you can physically do and let the SSA determine if you are qualified for any other work. You can find one here:

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 01/04/2016 - 21:07 Permalink

I was in a car accident in 2001 and got my femur on both legs broke in different places, a shattered knee and a broken hip and it took me nearly a year to recover. I eventually went back to work that following year and has been working since but I am in a lot of pain because of this accident and can hardly get around without my knee swelling femur be in pain and hard to walk cause of my hip. could i be eligible for disability?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 01/05/2016 - 16:51 Permalink

Hi there,
You could be, but keep in mind if you are working now and earning more than $1,130 per month, you will not be eligible for benefits. If you want to apply, you need to cut your amount of work down to less than that.

Leanne (not verified)
Fri, 02/05/2016 - 14:37 Permalink

My husband is having back surgery (fusion). He is expected to be out of work for 3-6 months. Would he qualify for ssi or anything temporary?


In reply to by Leanne (not verified)

Tue, 02/16/2016 - 13:52 Permalink

Hi Leanne,
Unfortunately, SSDI and SSI cover people with conditions making them unable to work for longer than a year or until their death.

Greg (not verified)
Tue, 02/16/2016 - 11:59 Permalink

I have been diagnosed with DDD and severe depression can I qualify for Social Security. Also my wife died within the last few months I was once denied by Social Security I now have an appointment with the attorney I would just like to know before I speak with them if I have a chance or not.


In reply to by Greg (not verified)

Tue, 02/16/2016 - 12:36 Permalink

I apologize for your loss. I would say that your lawyer would be able to help give you the information about getting approved,however I would not be able to determine your eligibility as we are not affiliated with the SSA.

susan saunders (not verified)
Wed, 02/17/2016 - 13:41 Permalink

I am writing on behalf of my daughter she has been a carer for 19 years and has now had to give up the job she loves as she has a prolapsed disk in her back. Is there anything she could claim as she can't work.


In reply to by susan saunders (not verified)

Tue, 03/08/2016 - 12:26 Permalink

Hi Susan,
If your daughter cannot work because of the condition of her back, she may be eligible for benefits I would contact the SSA to be sure, you can find all the forms to apply for SSDI at

Pamela Ulmer (not verified)
Sat, 02/20/2016 - 12:37 Permalink

I have type2 diabetes and I suffer from diabetic neuropathy. I work part-time at a fast food restaurant it is very stressful I have missed a lot of days due to my condition I get light headed dizzy nausea I have stomach cramps my legs tingling feet burning aching from standing so long at home I barely tend to my family my body feels so weak I just want to lay in bed. This condition is really starting to effect my life and work

deannakay harris (not verified)
Sat, 02/20/2016 - 17:47 Permalink

Was trying to find out if i will be awarded ssi

Gigi (not verified)
Tue, 03/01/2016 - 14:24 Permalink

What if trying to get your disability started and are going through a social security attorney through disability 50 years and older but on the medical records,the doctor(s) might not have a lot to report on,cause don't have insurance andcouldntgo a lot times over condition but have gone and Doctor is aware having the health problems with pain in back legs and feet and ankles swells (all the time) with redness also ankles keeps bruises around legs are bruised with just lightly touching, can't walk ,stand,cook,shower,dressing without several pain to back and locks up like a spamsa also have other conditions are taking pain medication and high blood pressures and for extra fluid build up. So how will with doctors not having a lot of medical reports and not doing any kind of treatment hurt me from getting disability benefits??? Have worked since 18 years old till2 months being 50years old but that cause caregiver of Alzhemer's had put in Nursing Home, also worked Retail Done everything on Retail from unloading trucks ,cashier Asstisant Manager to stocking store also setup store up for business shelves and stocking also worked Automotive Plant in the Paint Dept


In reply to by Gigi (not verified)

Mon, 03/07/2016 - 12:38 Permalink

Hi Gigi,
I'm sorry to hear about your condition.
If you have insufficient medical evidence for the SSA to make a determination, you may have a Consultative Examination perfomed with one of the SSA's doctors. They also may contact the doctors that had treated you to get some more information as well.

CS (not verified)
Wed, 03/02/2016 - 17:00 Permalink

I have made attempts at working since 2009.
In 2015 I made very little . Haven't been able to work since June 2015. I was seeing a nurse practioner nov 2010 till November 2016 for anxiety depression pain in knee high blood pressure .
I had knee laparoscopic in July of 2015 still swollen and in pain . I'm in construction can't work due to knee pain and depression and anxiety . I lost my child in 2010 my depression and anxiety got worse I have been seeing a psychiatrist since December 2015 to date. I'm 59 years old . Do I qualify for Ssdi? At this point I don't think I will ever b able to do my profession . I also have arthritis and have had rotator cuff surgery in my 30s
I worked full time till 2009 then unemployment for 2 years then worked but very little 2012 thru 2014 .


In reply to by CS (not verified)

Mon, 03/07/2016 - 13:40 Permalink

Hi CS,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may be eligible for SSDI based on your work history, I would contact the SSA at one of their offices or by calling 1-800-772-1213

peggy t (not verified)
Wed, 03/02/2016 - 20:21 Permalink

I have ADD, I take medication for it and have for most of my adult life. I've worked as an RN for 25+ years and my husband suddenly died 4 years ago. I'm losing my house, have lost my job, but receive survivor benefits from my husbands death from social security. I have tried to go back to work several times but I am so depressed I cannot try anymore. I'm exhausted. What do I need to do to apply for disability?

S (not verified)
Thu, 03/03/2016 - 18:30 Permalink

Do I go to the social security office ? Do I qualify for long term Ssdi . I have worked consistently till 2009.
I worked 3 to 6 months of the year from 2009 to 2014.
Was only able to work very little in 2015 about 10 days . Haven't been able to work at all since June 2015.
I have been seen by my regular doctor since November 2010 for knee pain arthritis high blood pressure anxiety and depression . I am taking pain medication for my knee high blood pressure anxiety and depression medications since 2010.
My son took his life and I found him . My anxiety and depression has gotten worse . Started seeing psychiatrist December 2015 to date panic attacks and depression diagnosed PTSD.
In July 2015 I had laproscopic knee surgery torn Minuscus and arthritis. My leg/ knee hurts daily and is swollen from thigh to foot daily . I have had 2 ultra sounds to check for blood clots and 1 ER visit leg was swollen I wrapped it and all the fluid went to top of my body . Knee dr said its not from the surgery he did . I feel like a crying baby from pain . I can't focus with panic attracts don't want to do anything but stay home .
What do I do to see if I qualify for SSI or SSDI.

barbara (not verified)
Mon, 03/07/2016 - 13:07 Permalink

ive been doagnosed with ddd degenerative disc disease verigo,and also osteoporosis in the hands knees and spine .was just in the e.r. and now i have thinned carotid arteries which surgery must be done on both artieries or i could have a stroke, heart attack or even die .im the only income in my family and need to find help to pay my utilities until i could go back to work .do i qualify for any help


In reply to by barbara (not verified)

Mon, 03/07/2016 - 13:47 Permalink

Hi Barbara,
If your conditions make you unable to work for over 12 months, you may possibly qualify for disability. I would make contact with the SSA to be sure, their phone number is 1800-772-1213

Tina Bell (not verified)
Mon, 03/14/2016 - 10:23 Permalink

I do not know how to read does this qualify me


In reply to by Tina Bell (not verified)

Mon, 03/14/2016 - 12:32 Permalink

Hi Tina,
Illiteracy by itself does not qualify, but if you had a disability that makes you unable to work and your illiteracy makes you unable to be re-trained for another job,you may possibly qualify.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 03/28/2016 - 21:46 Permalink

I have been diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia . Been taking prescription narcotics for pain for ten years. My doctor said he would sign off if it comes down to it for disability. I filled out social security disability papers and have been denied .Do I qualify? It'd be fine to work as long as I have my pills but without them I move like and hurt like a 90 yr old man.I don't know what to do and have even contemplated suicide .I know its not right but I am only 50 years old and have alot of knowledge and experience and really want to work.Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart

Add new comment