Lump sum back payment

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 13:04

I received two lump sum payments, but I have not spent all of the funds. I want to make a funeral arrangement and buy a car. How soon must I spend the lump sum payment.

Iva Miracle (not verified)
Sat, 02/17/2018 - 16:31 Permalink

My daughter applied for SSI. She was approved. She has received a letter that she will get $6,000 for six months. Is this all she is to recieve or will she get monthly checks?


In reply to by Iva Miracle (not verified)

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 11:10 Permalink

Hi Iva,
The letter doesn't state that it's payment 1 of 3? If not, it'll likely be the only check, but if it states that there are more to follow she could receive a lot more.

marcus starr (not verified)
Sat, 02/17/2018 - 18:17 Permalink

I was approved for ssi last week, I appied in may through my law firm, I understand that they will receive their fees, and I thank them. I filed in june, 2017, and ssa, is calculating my award, if given along with my first month benefit payment. My main question is that when I spoke with a ssi repersative, she said, they have to first make adjustments/calculations, to my VA disability payments, my son's ssi payments, and also my wife's work income information. I'm am under the impression, that I won't receive much on my ssi monthly payments when they start, and even little or no (lumpsum payment) help me understand if you can.


In reply to by marcus starr (not verified)

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 11:11 Permalink

Hi Marcus,
Congratulations on your approval! Your SSI will definitely be affected by your other benefits, so it's possible you'll receive a very low (maybe $100 per month) payment. It'd be more helpful to know what other income you have coming into your household?

James Henderson (not verified)
Tue, 02/20/2018 - 17:52 Permalink

I need money until I receive my first check who can help me

DANIELLE JONES (not verified)
Wed, 02/21/2018 - 14:24 Permalink

My adult daughter(never married, no children) just received a SS Disability Award for back pay. Her prognosis is dire and is not expected to live more than two months. She wants her back pay to be given to me. (burial expenses and medical bills) Am I supposed to file a form with SS? We share a checking account that already has me as her beneficiary

danielle J (not verified)
Wed, 02/21/2018 - 15:52 Permalink

When my daughters SS Disability case was denied, she filed an appeal. Months later she hired a non-lawyer advocate. She signed a fee agreement. She fired her advocate for failure to have contact and not knowing what was going on with the case. As far as she could tell from asking all doctors and looking at the social security files on her case. No contact from the advocate to the doctors occurred and no documents were given to SS for the hearing. The hearing is in a month. The question remains: My son agreed to be the new advocate and SS was notified and a form was signed. He also signed a waver that he did not want any fee. My son did all of the work for the past year which was get all of the medical records to SS, and hassled with the doctors to write a updated accounting of the medical condition/prognosis/ tests and everything SS required. This was to support the doctor's opinion that my daughter could not work at all. All of the doctors said the advocate never contacted them nor were any records asked by her. If my daughter wins her appeal, we understand the judge can award the fired advocate fees. We think it's wrong for my daughter and all that hire advocates who are also stuck in the position she was. The question is, can my son now file for a fee, even if it is a token amount so the judge can see how much work was put in by my son. The former advocate never responded to my daughter request to have a statement showing the work that was done.


In reply to by danielle J (not verified)

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 11:13 Permalink

Hi Danielle,
I am so sorry to hear that! It is unlikely that your son will be able to receive the fee in lieu of the attorney. Only people who have law degrees or who have been certified as advocates by the SSA will be eligible for direct deposits for legal fees after a Social Security approval.

Kelz (not verified)
Wed, 02/21/2018 - 21:55 Permalink

How much back pay should I expect for 4years of backpay

Sara (not verified)
Thu, 02/22/2018 - 03:21 Permalink

I have a disabled 5 month old daughter SHE receives 50 a month being that shes still in the hospital..when discharged will there be any back pay

Terry McDougall (not verified)
Tue, 02/27/2018 - 03:24 Permalink

When will I receive my second backpacking

Cheyanne marie (not verified)
Fri, 03/02/2018 - 14:28 Permalink

I am a payee for my granddaughters ssi death benefits. They sent a letter saying she will not be receiving benefits since she is truning 18. She just got her back pay from all the years she hasn't received monthly benefits. Does this mean the will cancel her back pay as well?


In reply to by Cheyanne marie (not verified)

Mon, 03/05/2018 - 15:24 Permalink

Hi Cheyanne, no they will not take away her back pay. If she is still in high school then she qualifies for auxiliary benefits until she graduates.

Rhonda Smith (not verified)
Mon, 03/05/2018 - 11:45 Permalink

I'm expecting another back pay in May but I need to see how I can get an advance on that it an emergency

Gene fulller (not verified)
Mon, 03/05/2018 - 23:31 Permalink

How long after my first lump sum of SSI and disability payment will I receive my second payment. I was told it would be six months and then I was told it would come this month with my monthly check but it didn't

Mae (not verified)
Mon, 03/12/2018 - 05:14 Permalink

If I'm getting a lump sum, for my daughter why I have to have it in a separate account?

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 03/12/2018 - 14:59 Permalink

If a get a lump sum of money for my child dad disability do i have to put it in a separate account, will i be able to spend some


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 03/14/2018 - 14:45 Permalink

Hi There,

That should be okay, but if you have any questions regarding that, you should always double check with the SSA first and to make sure to keep all the receipts

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 03/13/2018 - 22:35 Permalink

How can I get some of my back so I can payback money for my son tombstone

Jody m mendez (not verified)
Fri, 03/16/2018 - 20:01 Permalink

I've been applying since 2009 I received my mom's retirement she had a house she died in 2012 October 8th I never collected from her house she was living in that's what's holding my Social Security back how do I find out I've been getting it I had a letter saying I was getting

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 03/22/2018 - 11:24 Permalink

I'm trying to see when my child's other back pay will arrive

Britt (not verified)
Thu, 03/22/2018 - 22:25 Permalink

My father recently passed away. He was getting ssi monthly but was also getting 3 lump sums of back pay he was owed. I am wondering if I am able to apply for this back pay that he is owed.


In reply to by Britt (not verified)

Fri, 03/23/2018 - 14:01 Permalink

Hi Britt,

I am so sorry to hear that. It is definitely possible. You should speak with someone at your local SSA office regarding that. Wishing you nothing but the best though this difficult time.

machell Trotter (not verified)
Sat, 03/24/2018 - 13:40 Permalink

I was want needing to know if and do i get get some money from backpay to help me pay for a class to get my driving license.

Anonymous (not verified)
Sun, 03/25/2018 - 21:19 Permalink

My mother passed Saturday am. She had SSI but was in nursing home. How do I ask SSI if they can assist with funeral expenses or If they can. We're in Rockhill,SC.


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Mon, 03/26/2018 - 16:42 Permalink

Hi There,

I am so sorry to hear that. The Rockville, SC SSA office information is here: 499 Lakeshore Pkwy, Rock Hill, SC 29730

Manda (not verified)
Tue, 03/27/2018 - 16:49 Permalink

Could I get an emergency payment from My back pay, to get a custody lawyer?


In reply to by Manda (not verified)

Tue, 03/27/2018 - 16:52 Permalink

Hi Manda,

Expedited payments from the SSA are only for those in dire financial need. If that is the case, then you could get an expedited payment from the SSA.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 03/28/2018 - 12:08 Permalink

I have three disabled children with medical needs.I have a lot of bills and would like to work more without interfering with the kids medical assistance. what is the maximum income I can make monthly


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 03/30/2018 - 14:24 Permalink

Hi There,

Every situation is different, so I would double check with the SSA. Under the SGA for 2018 for non-blind persons is $1,180

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 03/29/2018 - 09:09 Permalink

What documentation do i need to give to my worker at social security tto prove I'm homeless so i can receive my second lump payback check

Nikki L Moore's (not verified)
Thu, 03/29/2018 - 16:18 Permalink

Okay, I been getting Ssi since 2010. Out the blue Ssi send me a letter Saying I was suppose to getting SSDI when I got improved for Ssi. I never knew!! The last memory I have receiving survivor benefits From my Dad I was 12.. They took 20,999 From me And said We over payed You This admit. I sent in a Reconsideration Form But im worried ima have to go threw a lawyer And it's go be Longer for a 3rd decision. I'm homeless Rightnow with 2kids Staying in a shelter I sent them my homeless Letter and my two denial papers from housing Because I owe housing money. Do you think I have a good Case ???


In reply to by Nikki L Moore's (not verified)

Fri, 03/30/2018 - 14:02 Permalink

Hi Nikki,

I can't really say for sure, but having a Social Security attorney is a great resource to have.

Add new comment