Amazon Prime is more than just fast shipping. It's a subscription service that gives members access to a variety of Prime member benefits. Perks include fast shipping, exclusive access to sales, free movie streaming, and access to other services.
Amazon is now part of a pilot run initiated by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to accept SNAP EBT online. Currently, customers with a valid SNAP EBT card in all states except Alaska can use their snap funds on Amazon.
What Does Prime Membership Get You?
- It offers a two day delivery service, but it also offers one-day and same-day delivery options, streaming, shopping and reading benefits on its site.
- The chance to purchase groceries online.
- Prescription savings.
- Streaming TV.
SNAP, short for ‘Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program’ is a government program that helps individuals to buy the food that they need to live healthy lives. Those using SNAP will receive a monthly benefits card.
Groceries on Amazon include pantry staples, shelf-stable food and household items which are available nationwide. There is no minimum amount that needs to be spent by Prime members to receive free shipping. If you are not a Prime member, you can receive free delivery on Amazon.com grocery orders by purchasing $25 or more of eligible items.
You can also place a smaller order and pay a shipping fee. The benefits card, also known as an EBT card, can be used in many major grocery stores, and now it can be used at Amazon.
Your SNAP EBT card cannot be used to pay for the shipping fee if you do not meet the minimum order and you will need to provide an alternate form of payment.
What You Can Use Your SNAP EBT Benefits On With Amazon
You can use your SNAP EBT benefits on Amazon on:
- Amazon Fresh with a Minimum purchase of $35, but no prime membership;
- Amazon Prime with a minimum purchase of $25 - no minimum for Prime customers;
- Purchases at Whole Foods;
- Free delivery $9.95 service
What Can You Buy With Your SNAP EBT on Amazon?
- Fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products;
- Breads, cereals, canned vegetables, and pantry staples;
- Other foods such as snacks, seeds, and non-alcoholic beverages;
- Look for items labeled SNAP EBT Eligible.
How To Sign Up
Customers can follow the steps below to register their SNAP EBT card on Amazon:
- Click here to visit Amazon.com/SNAP.
- Create an Amazon account or sign in if you’re already an Amazon customer.
- Follow the on screen instructions to add a valid SNAP EBT card.
- Start shopping.
Connecting your EBT card to your Amazon account will give you access to a couple of benefits that Amazon offers.
- Access to Amazon Fresh without a Prime Account;
- Free Delivery on purchases over $25;
- Discounted Amazon Prime membership;
- Amazon exclusive deals.
If you are on Snap, or considering these Amazon benefits, it may be able to save you time and money.