SSDI length of time for back pay?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 11/18/2012 - 00:19

When I initially met with my attorney, I was told that back pay would go back one year from application, minus 5 months (I had already waited over 2 years to file because I was told I would have "full recovery" after my 2 fusion surgeries). I've received my acceptance letter but not my back pay yet, and during my search for more info on the process I came across a SSDI page stating that even if it takes 24 months for your claim to get approved, you can only receive pay for 12 months. Can anybody help clarify this for me please? Also, I have friends who received their back pay before or immediately after their approval letters (NY), but I've seen posts by people saying it took several months so I was wondering if there was a formula for when I can expect mine? I'm not looking to go on a spending spree, but I have a mortgage, car payment, property and school taxes, and children to feed and clothe as well as one in an expensive college. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and all input is appreciated.

GOPALA KRISHNA (not verified)

In reply to by Jan (not verified)

Thu, 02/16/2017 - 06:30 Permalink

I HAVE GOT AN ACCIDENT IN 2011.MY SPINAL CARD IS INJURED .PRESENT I AM NOT ABLE TO WALK PLEASE HELP ME

Jamie (not verified)

Sat, 08/27/2016 - 18:06 Permalink

I filed May 2012, approved June 2016. I got backpay dated from May 2012, in one lump sum. I had so much money, it made me anxious thinking about it. Hope that helps.

In reply to by Jamie (not verified)

Mon, 08/29/2016 - 09:48 Permalink

Hi Jamie,
Than you for sharing! It's true, it may be a lot of money because it's four four years of back pay.

In reply to by Bryan

Sat, 11/26/2016 - 01:13 Permalink

I was approved in 2016 applied in 2010 only recied 3checkd back pay 1for 2199.00 and 1 2000. Shouldnt it be motr than that?

Mon, 11/28/2016 - 13:55 Permalink

It's possible the judge changed your established onset date. If you applied but then your condition worsened, the judge probably started your date for back pay at the point at which you were fully "disabled."

Susan (not verified)

In reply to by Jamie (not verified)

Mon, 09/12/2016 - 02:43 Permalink

Jamie,
How long did you wait for your back pay? I've been waiting 5 months.

In reply to by Susan (not verified)

Mon, 09/19/2016 - 10:15 Permalink

Hi Susan,
If you have not started receiving monthly benefits, then you may need to wait four months after those start to receive your back pay.

Susan (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Fri, 09/23/2016 - 14:07 Permalink

I started getting my SSDI monthly payments June 2016. 90 days now waiting for the back PAY!! Anxious!!

In reply to by Susan (not verified)

Fri, 09/23/2016 - 15:50 Permalink

Hi Susan,
That's great! Back pay benefits, if you are eligible for them, usually arrive about four months after your regular monthly benefits start.

Michelle (not verified)

In reply to by Susan (not verified)

Fri, 10/28/2016 - 19:36 Permalink

I started getting monthly benefits in September 2016 still waiting on back pay. Seems like it's never gonna come.

In reply to by Michelle (not verified)

Mon, 10/31/2016 - 16:43 Permalink

Sorry to hear that Michelle! They should arrive a few months after your monthly benefits start, but if you've been waiting for more than 6 months then I would consider contacting your local SSA office.

Holly b (not verified)

In reply to by Susan (not verified)

Tue, 01/24/2017 - 22:31 Permalink

Susan and jamie...I was approved in oct and still no back pay...its somehow relieving to know im not the only one. Mine is since 2012, date was granted by the judge, so im anxious as well. I am a single mother and have two teenage boys living in public housing and no family support as most have what I have..muscular dystrophy, and are home bound. This money will get us OUT of here and everyday is torture!!! I'm gonna pray you and myself as well sweetheart. Keep me/us posted PLEASE?

Sondra (not verified)

In reply to by Susan (not verified)

Sat, 02/25/2017 - 23:14 Permalink

I was approved in July of 2012. I received my first check in Sept of 2012, and my back pay I'm May of 2013. Almost a yr after my award letter.

lala (not verified)

In reply to by Jamie (not verified)

Sun, 10/16/2016 - 19:26 Permalink

thats good i just got approved after eight years so now im just waiting on my award letter

Holly b (not verified)

In reply to by Jamie (not verified)

Tue, 01/24/2017 - 22:19 Permalink

How lo.g did u wait for ur.backpay? I was approved in Oct and stil not seen it yet. I call every week. My atty says shes getting.no info..no ssi was.taken on my part during.the four year wait for approval..the judge backdated it four years so this alit of money..we live in,public.housing and im dying to move out..any thoughts...anyone????

In reply to by Holly b (not verified)

Wed, 02/01/2017 - 09:35 Permalink

Hi Holly,
It generally takes about four months from the time you receive monthly benefits to receive back pay.

Todd B (not verified)

In reply to by Holly b (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2017 - 07:51 Permalink

Hi Holly ,I would contact your local congressmen or assemblymen and they will look into why the delay and will expedite the process by calling their contacts to put pressure on the system for starving You out.I was awarded 29 months in May 2016 and I haven't received either but I have been told it will be in mail within 2 weeks.You have nothing to lose at this point and this act is called a " Congressional Inquiry"!Good Luck

In reply to by Todd B (not verified)

Fri, 02/24/2017 - 09:56 Permalink

Hi Todd,
Thanks for sharing that! It's true, contacting your congressman may possibly help your case.

tatiana (not verified)

In reply to by Holly b (not verified)

Thu, 03/15/2018 - 18:31 Permalink

well my son was approved his ssi on 3-9-2018 and ssa told me two weeks so when will his check come in the mail if not too late can i give them my direct deposit information and get it sooner.

CAM (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Thu, 10/12/2017 - 16:17 Permalink

I applied for ssi and ssdi. I got denied twice. I got an attorney for my reconsideration. It took around 7 months for initial and reconsideration to be denied in all. I first applied in October of 2016. I was informed of my live court date September 2017 for October 17. Iot of people are telling me it may be a denial because of my fast court date. And the judge i have has the highest approval rates. I also have two blue book conditions that i fall under. Have you ever heard of this? Does it sounds like a denial?

In reply to by CAM (not verified)

Mon, 10/16/2017 - 13:03 Permalink

Hi Cam,
A fast court date may not be a denial, in fact if your lawyer had informed you of it it may have been in the works for some time.

Kelly (not verified)

In reply to by Jamie (not verified)

Sun, 03/12/2017 - 22:59 Permalink

How long did it take from when you got your award letter til you got your back pay? Mine has the monthly amount and the back pay amount on it.

In reply to by Kelly (not verified)

Mon, 03/13/2017 - 16:21 Permalink

Hi Kelly,
It often takes about 4-6 months to receive back pay AFTER the first monthly benefit comes in.

Best Wishes,

In reply to by Charlene (not verified)

Thu, 04/27/2017 - 15:35 Permalink

Hi Charlene,
Back pay is generally disbursed about four months after you are approved for SSDI benefits.

Barnard Gatewood (not verified)

Fri, 04/21/2017 - 17:03 Permalink

I applied 3yrs ago , was approved fully faborley by judge do i get payments up to know

In reply to by Barnard Gatewood (not verified)

Thu, 04/27/2017 - 15:13 Permalink

Hi Barnard,

You are entitled to backpay from the date that you initially applied for benefits.

Best of Luck,

Jay (not verified)

In reply to by Eric

Mon, 06/12/2017 - 17:13 Permalink

So o got approved for ssd haven't got a letter yet will I get back pay

Katrina (not verified)

In reply to by Eric

Wed, 03/07/2018 - 18:00 Permalink

Can you or someone confirm whether or not the 12 mo cap on back pay benefits is true even if initial app and date of approved onset is over 4 years ago?

douglaskleeves (not verified)
Thu, 10/29/2015 - 22:34 Permalink

i recieved benifits in nov 2004 it took them 16 months to approve it and i didnt recieve any back pay

In reply to by douglaskleeves (not verified)

Fri, 10/30/2015 - 09:34 Permalink

Hi Douglas,
I am sorry to hear that! I think that if you were entitled to back pay, you would have received it by now. It is likely that the judge who approved your claim changed your onset date and thus changed the time of your disability.

noreen (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Sat, 11/05/2016 - 09:40 Permalink

Received fully favorable Disability for ssdi and widows benefit onset of July 2014 first payment set for November 16 2016 attorney was paid this last Wednesday Had phone interview about Ssi on Thursday and won,T be double because of widow benefit amount my question is when should I expect my backpay?

In reply to by noreen (not verified)

Mon, 11/07/2016 - 10:05 Permalink

Hi Noreen,
You should expect any back pay you may be due about four months after you start receiving monthly benefits.

Marc (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Wed, 01/25/2017 - 19:55 Permalink

I was approved for SSDI an I receive my monthly checks but no back pay yet. I go to local office an keep asking how long for my back pay? Always keep hearing it's at the payment center and has been there since Aug 8 2016. But my attorney hasn't been paid yet an I'm still waiting. They said 6 months at first an now it hasn't came yet. When I was approved I went an got my own apt and have bills now etc.. I'm sleeping on floor no furniture or anything. I need my back pay like yesterday. Because after I pay my rent an bills I'm broke... Can anyone please tell me what to do? An how much longer will my SSDI back pay will take?

In reply to by Marc (not verified)

Wed, 02/01/2017 - 09:37 Permalink

Hi Marc,
I'm sorry to hear about that! It takes about four months from the time you receive monthly benefits to receive back pay for SSDI.

Lawrence Kennedy (not verified)
Fri, 10/30/2015 - 21:45 Permalink

How much will my ssdi payments be this year. I,m currently getting 911.00 a month.

In reply to by Lawrence Kennedy (not verified)

Mon, 11/02/2015 - 09:22 Permalink

Hi Lawrence,
There will actually be no COLA this year, so your monthly benefit will not go up in 2016.