SSDI length of time for back pay?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 11/18/2012 - 00:19

When I initially met with my attorney, I was told that back pay would go back one year from application, minus 5 months (I had already waited over 2 years to file because I was told I would have "full recovery" after my 2 fusion surgeries). I've received my acceptance letter but not my back pay yet, and during my search for more info on the process I came across a SSDI page stating that even if it takes 24 months for your claim to get approved, you can only receive pay for 12 months. Can anybody help clarify this for me please? Also, I have friends who received their back pay before or immediately after their approval letters (NY), but I've seen posts by people saying it took several months so I was wondering if there was a formula for when I can expect mine? I'm not looking to go on a spending spree, but I have a mortgage, car payment, property and school taxes, and children to feed and clothe as well as one in an expensive college. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and all input is appreciated.

In reply to by Eric

Tue, 02/13/2018 - 14:29 Permalink

How long does it usually take after you receive your 1st check?

Amanda (not verified)
Mon, 02/12/2018 - 14:52 Permalink

I was worderning if I was receiving ssi of payment of 715 last year an I got approved for social security benefits of 746 last year but haven’t receive no payment until February 2 what would my back due payment might be

tabitha (not verified)
Fri, 02/16/2018 - 00:31 Permalink

if I'm awarded ssd and sis do i receive back pay from both ?

In reply to by tabitha (not verified)

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 11:04 Permalink

Hi Tabitha,
If you waited for more than five months to be approved then yes, but your SSI back pay will come in three separate payments while your SSDI back pay will all come at once.

Dawn (not verified)
Sat, 02/17/2018 - 10:50 Permalink

How long do it take to get approve for ssdi I will be getting my father social security benefits I already found out the amount when I file

Lisa Barrett. (not verified)
Sat, 02/17/2018 - 18:50 Permalink

I received my award letter. My monthly ssdi benefits will begin march 2018. My case has been awarded back to December 2012. When will i receive the backpay. I also applied for benefits for my nine yr old. They told me in my local office she is elegible for 720 a month and that will also get awarded to my same back date. The worker in the office said i will get her backpay before i get mine. I am confused

Cristenboisa (not verified)
Tue, 02/20/2018 - 22:53 Permalink

Hi I was awarded Social Security disability last October of last year and I still haven’t received my backpay how long does it usually take to keep saying it’s in the payment center to check back in April how much time would it take usually ?

In reply to by Cristenboisa (not verified)

Wed, 02/21/2018 - 13:59 Permalink

It usually takes around four months. I would recommend calling the SSA and speaking with a rep if you don't get anything this month.

Alisa (not verified)
Wed, 02/21/2018 - 18:59 Permalink

After two and a half years I was finally approved for disability 2 weeks ago. My house is going into foreclosure is there anyway I can get my money fairly quickly

In reply to by Alisa (not verified)

Thu, 02/22/2018 - 11:06 Permalink

Hi Alisa,
I'm happy to hear you were approved. You may be able to file for expedited payments due to hardship--you'll need to call the SSA to discuss this option.

Candy (not verified)
Thu, 02/22/2018 - 03:04 Permalink

my hearing was held in October 2017 and as of last week I still have no decision however i was informed this week my case has now been assigned to a writer? What does that mean and how much longer can this take to get a decision?

roberta (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Fri, 02/23/2018 - 18:31 Permalink

Why does take so long for a answer to come?
I had a appeal hearing in November 2017, how long do i have to wait for an answer? Or how do know if i was approved??

Lisa (not verified)
Mon, 02/26/2018 - 19:20 Permalink

Was approved my ssdi on Jan 4.2018 Received my award letter Feb4th stating my monthly benefits will start on March 28th. My question is where is my back pay? My lawyer is receiving his payment on Feb 28th. I need mine, about to be evicted.

Melanie (not verified)

In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Fri, 03/02/2018 - 03:09 Permalink

Just received your letter Feb 28th and are wondering where your backpay is?? I was approved as of Sep 1, 2017 received my first monthly SSDI payment October 1, 2016 and I still have no clue when I’ll receive my backpay, been waiting six full months. I can’t get even a clue let alone an answer as to when I’ll get it from Social Security. Sadly my advice to you is be prepared to hurry up and wait.

charles d barnett (not verified)
Wed, 02/28/2018 - 11:20 Permalink

how long until I receive my ssdi lump some, I have been getting my monthly payment for the past 10 months

Thu, 03/01/2018 - 11:37 Permalink

My attorney. Received his fee out of my back pay already but i haven't received a check yet? Got a award letter on feb 3

Anita (not verified)
Thu, 03/01/2018 - 21:42 Permalink

So I was just approved for Social Security Disability last Thursday..so how long do I have to wait to receive my benefits..Anyone

In reply to by Anita (not verified)

Fri, 03/02/2018 - 09:16 Permalink

Hi Anita,

If you haven’t started receiving your Social Security Disability benefits within 90 days of approval, contact the SSA.

carlis (not verified)
Fri, 03/02/2018 - 00:08 Permalink

My onset date was 2-28-14 my fully favorable letter came 2-21-18 how many months of back pay will I be qualified for

Melanie (not verified)
Fri, 03/02/2018 - 03:05 Permalink

Is it true that Social Security may sometimes release your backpay award quickly to you in case of dire need! I was approved 9/17 with a fully favorable decision, after waiting since 9/13. I’m waiting for 4yrs of back pay, and have been waiting almost 6 months for it. I recently lost Lynn only other source of income, my car is being held at a shop where it had body work done I can’t get it out until I can pay for it, and I’m recently divorced and a single mother of three kids. My situation is beyond dire at the moment. All I get told is I have to wait and there’s no way to get hold of the payment center. If I took my situation to my local office is there ANYTHING they might be able to do in getting my money to me quicker??

In reply to by Melanie (not verified)

Fri, 03/02/2018 - 09:07 Permalink

Hi Melanie,

I am sorry to hear that. Yes, in certain cases one can be approved for expedited payments from the SSA. It's a good idea to make an appointment with your local SSA office or call their national number directly.

Ml (not verified)
Sun, 03/04/2018 - 12:07 Permalink

Filed for disability April of 2012, finally received a fully favorable decision on January 26, 2018 , unable to work after going septic with busted gallbladder, and has caused neurological problems, told I have to wait 6 more months for back pay, but they would only back pay to January 2014.

David (not verified)
Tue, 03/06/2018 - 02:48 Permalink

Its been over 60 days and social security is still working on my back pay how much longer

David (not verified)
Wed, 03/07/2018 - 02:56 Permalink

I started receiving my ssdi payments on December 20 2017 and my payment dates were moved to the third of each month so I think it has past 90 days so then I should be receiving my back pay soon since my lawyer has been paid there is nothing pending the only thing that was pending was the the last payment in which was paid to my lawyer on February10 2018

Polly (not verified)
Wed, 03/07/2018 - 08:14 Permalink

I getting ready do to my taxes and only worked until may of last yr, received back pay and been on disability now for almost a yr. But noticed they did not take any taxes out of my back pay will I have to owe? and next yr since ,I have not worked will be a yr this may, will I have to file taxes next yr?

In reply to by Polly (not verified)

Thu, 03/08/2018 - 17:05 Permalink

Hi Polly,

You will have to pay taxes on back pay. You can file amended returns for the years the back pay covers and claim only this year's payment on the current year's income tax return. Also, each year the SSA will provide a form, SSA-1099, that will tell you how much from the SSA that you'll use to fill out your income tax return.

Susan (not verified)
Fri, 03/09/2018 - 20:33 Permalink

My ex applied for ssd and received back pay ,he told my daughter to apply because she was over 18 and was still in school when he applied , he owes 17,000 in back child support and has 2 their kids under 18 only one lives with him the other lives with her mother somewhere else , lady at ss office said the money set aside for the kids were to be divided equally but step mommy dearest said she got back 4800 and. My daughter 2600 and said her child got back because he’s under 18 wtc??? The other kid they couldn’t find I guess and don’t know if she was put on there they also didn’t notify support enforcement he got a big lump some and didn’t pay his arrears 17000 how and why wasn’t it divid equally ?

Lucy (not verified)
Fri, 03/09/2018 - 21:57 Permalink

Hello, please help. I applied for both SSI and SSD in May 2017. I was approved at the reconsideration level March 2018 and this is what my descion letter says:
"Your date of onset is 3/5/2013. We find you eligible for disability beginning on 12/23/2016, we are allowing your claim as of that date."
What does that mean? I haven't received any other letters or information. Please help. Feel lost.

In reply to by Lucy (not verified)

Tue, 03/13/2018 - 16:37 Permalink

Hi Lucy,

It seems like the SSA will likely give you backpay that starts from 12/23/16 and not from your date of onset. You may want to call the SSA and see if they can send you some paperwork that explains this in more detail.

Lryic dixson (not verified)
Sun, 03/11/2018 - 09:54 Permalink

I won my case in Dec 2017 I haven't got my first sis check or back pay..it's been over 90.I also have a lawyer..what's wrong with this picture..I live in sc

Danny (not verified)
Sun, 03/11/2018 - 09:56 Permalink

How long do it take after you win your case n sc too receive your first check

Bill (not verified)
Wed, 03/14/2018 - 07:28 Permalink

A judge denied my claim in 2015. Got new attorney and filed in March in the correct time frame . Been waiting for date which will be 2-5 month away in 2018. If approved will they go back to claim denied for back payment?

Dillon (not verified)
Wed, 03/14/2018 - 21:33 Permalink

It took me 3 years to get a hearing and win my case and SS will back pay me for those missing 3 years.On my appoval date I became eligible for Medi-Cal as part of my SSDI can I claim back medical bills going back those 3 years when I should have qualified for Medi-Cal.

I called Medi-Cal and they told me I would have to claim from Social security as I wasn't on Medi-Cal for those 3 years.