Lump sum back payment

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 13:04

I received two lump sum payments, but I have not spent all of the funds. I want to make a funeral arrangement and buy a car. How soon must I spend the lump sum payment.

In reply to by shelbyy (not verified)

Tue, 03/29/2016 - 13:02 Permalink

Hi Shelby,
Back pay is sometimes paid in installments, I think this is what is happening in your case. Generally back pay is paid every six months in three installments.

Samantha (not verified)
Tue, 03/29/2016 - 19:55 Permalink

My son started receiving survivors benefits from his father's death as of January 2016 but his father passed in November of 2013 my question is will he receive back pay from the 2 yrs he had been deceased and if so when?

In reply to by Samantha (not verified)

Wed, 03/30/2016 - 09:49 Permalink

Hi Samantha,
I'm sorry for your loss!
Survivor's benefits are paid from the time you applied, and not when the person had passed. I would not be able to say if your son is eligible for back pay because we are not affiliated with the SSA and would not know when you had applied on behalf of your son.

Jaime (not verified)
Fri, 04/01/2016 - 03:03 Permalink

i'm getting 2040 from ssdi. it is not enugh to live in san diego.
can i apply for ssi as well.

In reply to by Jaime (not verified)

Fri, 04/01/2016 - 10:05 Permalink

Hi Jaime,
You absolutely can! It's not guaranteed that you would be awarded benefits, however.

Marlena (not verified)
Fri, 04/01/2016 - 03:10 Permalink

HI just started working and its been a few years and I have have received my 2nd installment will, i get my 3rd? from my docuements I recieve it every 6 months. It came in Nov. last year as planned but does that stop once I start working again?

In reply to by Marlena (not verified)

Fri, 04/01/2016 - 10:12 Permalink

Hi Marlena,
It sounds like your third installment is due for April, it would not stop your back pay but it would affect your benefits going forward.

meme (not verified)
Fri, 04/01/2016 - 22:50 Permalink

I got my November 9 does that mean my next one we be may 9

Roshell (not verified)
Sat, 04/02/2016 - 18:42 Permalink

My car motor went out in my car, that is my only way back and forward to all of my appointments and I have backpay from SSI can I recieve my second payments early?

In reply to by Roshell (not verified)

Mon, 04/04/2016 - 16:36 Permalink

Hi Roshell,
It's unlikely. SSI back payments are usually only expedited for an extreme medical emergency, such as surgery or life-saving treatments.

carol (not verified)
Mon, 04/04/2016 - 16:21 Permalink

I receive ssi, my back payment will be a lot of money and they have to give it to me in 3 installments 6 months apart. My question is how long do i have to spend my last installment been that it will be more then the first 2 installment

In reply to by carol (not verified)

Mon, 04/04/2016 - 16:36 Permalink

Hi Carol,
You will need to spend your first installment before you receive your second installment, so around six months.

Timothy. brown (not verified)
Thu, 04/07/2016 - 16:32 Permalink

need lump sum against mY $20,000. the most .I can get buying car for my mother.

In reply to by Timothy. brown (not verified)

Fri, 04/08/2016 - 09:15 Permalink

Hi Timothy,
I am not sure what you are asking here. If you are getting a lump sum payment, you can indeed always use it for purchasing a new car so long as you don't have two cars on SSI benefits.

bresha brown (not verified)
Thu, 04/07/2016 - 20:31 Permalink

My son is due for another installment payment which is due every six months. They said they released the payment into my account today which is Thursday but its not showing up in my account. How long does ssi installment payments take to post in your account?

meme (not verified)
Fri, 04/08/2016 - 15:09 Permalink

If i received my Back paying. November 9 2015 when will i see second on

In reply to by meme (not verified)

Fri, 04/08/2016 - 15:33 Permalink

Hi Meme,
Back pay is usually done with installments six months apart. If you haven't gotten your back pay some time in the coming month, I would contact the SSA to find out if there are any problems with your back pay.

NIKKI (not verified)
Sat, 04/09/2016 - 12:56 Permalink

hi why is my son second lump sum late??

In reply to by NIKKI (not verified)

Mon, 04/11/2016 - 16:56 Permalink

Hi Nikki,
We're not affiliated with the SSA so we would not be able to say why it is late. I would contact them at 1-800-772-1213, they would be better able to help you with this.

Stacey crow (not verified)
Mon, 04/11/2016 - 03:17 Permalink

I would like to purchase a home and get it all set yesterday.of said amount of 6500.for place...

Peter Langiewicz (not verified)
Tue, 04/12/2016 - 01:52 Permalink

Hello I have recieved 10,000 in back payment and only have gotten two 2,000 payments 6 months apart I had to pay these to my care takers and retro rent. I am about to get married and really need an early release of my remainder back pay what can I do to get this ?

In reply to by Peter Langiewicz (not verified)

Tue, 04/12/2016 - 10:08 Permalink

Hi Peter,
I'm not sure if they would be able to give you your last lump sum early, but if you call 1-800-772-1213 the SSA may be able to help you further with that.

Lyndda (not verified)
Tue, 04/12/2016 - 22:50 Permalink

I am a rep payee for someone who just received $40k in retroactive back pay due her
What do I do with the money and how long to spend it.Can I put it in a separate bank account?She already has one savings account that she receives her monthly ssi payment direct deposited into.2k is the most she can have in an account.I guess I can always call Social Security.I am new at this.

In reply to by Lyndda (not verified)

Wed, 04/13/2016 - 09:52 Permalink

Hi Lynda,
If you are a representative payee for someone getting SSI, you have nine months to spend the lump sum money, after that it gets counted as a resource. Generally people spend that money for housing, transportation,paying off any debts, ect. I would definitely contact the SSA, they would be able to give you guidance as to what you can do with that back payment.

kev (not verified)
Sun, 04/17/2016 - 16:55 Permalink

How do I find out if I got all of my lump sum

In reply to by kev (not verified)

Mon, 04/18/2016 - 10:24 Permalink

Hi Kev,
You would have to contact the SSA to find out your back pay amount, their number is 1-800-772-1213.

Laura (not verified)
Sun, 04/17/2016 - 20:51 Permalink

I was wondering if i could get an advancement on my backpay so i could move back home to Texas. I won my case in Wisconsin but i want to go back home

Samuel (not verified)
Sun, 04/24/2016 - 21:31 Permalink

If you have to recertify first benefits can you receive any more back pay

In reply to by Samuel (not verified)

Tue, 04/26/2016 - 13:36 Permalink

Hi Samuel,
I am not sure what you are asking here. Back pay is only given out when you have to wait for more than 5 months to be approved for SSDI payments.

Trevon (not verified)
Tue, 04/26/2016 - 18:21 Permalink

I receive a my first lump sums November 9th when would I receive the second

In reply to by Trevon (not verified)

Thu, 04/28/2016 - 13:35 Permalink

Hi Trevon,
Back pay installments are usually paid six months apart. If it does not come in that time, I would contact the SSA for some more information.

Tue, 04/26/2016 - 22:20 Permalink

So I received first installment on Oct.20 2015 so I thought I was supposed to get the 2nd on April 20 the 2016 but I had an appt.over the phone on the 21 st of April asking if the income in the household was still the same I said yes and interview was over.So do you know when I's the 2nd installment going to hit the bank???

Thu, 04/28/2016 - 13:29 Permalink

I would not be able to say as we are not the SSA and would not have access to that information.

Dave K., in Illinois (not verified)
Wed, 04/27/2016 - 20:24 Permalink

I won my ssa disability case in Sept. 2015, but long story short I just received a lump sum over $10,000.00 do I have to spend this within a certain amount of time?

In reply to by Dave K., in Illinois (not verified)

Thu, 04/28/2016 - 13:19 Permalink

Hi Dave,
If you are getting SSI benefits you may have to spend it within nine months, or it would be counted against your financial resource limits.

Nicole (not verified)
Sat, 04/30/2016 - 14:27 Permalink

My son was approved for back pay ssi he has received two of his back pay lump sum and waiting on his last lump. So how soon will he receive the final lump sum if he got it in October 2015?

In reply to by Nicole (not verified)

Mon, 05/02/2016 - 11:01 Permalink

Hi Nicole,
The SSA generally pays lump sums six months apart, so if it has not shown up six months from the last lump sum payment, I would contact the SSA for some more information. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Don (not verified)
Fri, 05/06/2016 - 00:40 Permalink

I was in prison now I'm out and social security sent me $17000 is this acceptable or a mistake

In reply to by Don (not verified)

Fri, 05/06/2016 - 11:17 Permalink

Hi Don, it may be a mistake, but I would call the SSA to find out. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Fri, 05/06/2016 - 20:21 Permalink

WHAT IF I LOOSE MY SSI BENEFITS BECAUSE OF 1 ACRE OF LAND?

Mon, 05/09/2016 - 11:08 Permalink

You would lose that SSI payment because the acre of land would put you over the resource limits for SSI.

Dashell (not verified)
Fri, 05/06/2016 - 21:41 Permalink

My son receive his SSI back payment due November 6th when would he receive the next one

Tommy James (not verified)
Sun, 05/08/2016 - 05:18 Permalink

What all SSI need from me for my lump sum advancement. How much can I ask for out of 22,000 back payment that I cant wait six mouths for.

Mary (not verified)
Mon, 05/09/2016 - 05:37 Permalink

Do I approve for advanced payment from my back payment from social security

In reply to by Mary (not verified)

Mon, 05/09/2016 - 11:01 Permalink

Hi Mary,
You would need to contact the SSA regarding that, you can contact them at 1-800-772-1213.