How many hours can you work if on disability

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 06/17/2014 - 12:57

How many hours are you allowed to work if on disability

Caitlin (not verified)
Tue, 08/06/2019 - 18:53 Permalink

I want to get a part time job and I'm on SSA and SSI. I am aware of the 2019 SGA. Im confused as to how many hours can you work because you cant exceed that limit. Is that with your benefits plus the money you get from work. Or just from working alone. If that makes sense.

In reply to by Caitlin (not verified)

Wed, 08/07/2019 - 17:28 Permalink

Hi Caitlin,

It's your earned income from working, not including your benefits. So if you work and make over $880 a month excluding your benefits, then you'll enter the Trial Work Period.

Tasha (not verified)

In reply to by Caitlin (not verified)

Thu, 02/13/2020 - 15:54 Permalink

Can I get a part time job if my SSID is only 618.00 if so how much can I make or how many hours can I work

In reply to by Tasha (not verified)

Thu, 02/13/2020 - 16:25 Permalink

Hi Tasha,

If you make over $910, you'll be entered into the Trial Work Program. Your safest bet is to make below that amount, unless you'd like to enroll in TWP.

Jen (not verified)
Wed, 08/21/2019 - 18:36 Permalink

Hi...the answers have been helpful but just so i know if im making around 945 total every 2 weeks which is well over the 880 limit for the ssdi how much will i be losing from my benefits

In reply to by Jen (not verified)

Thu, 08/22/2019 - 17:00 Permalink

Hi Jen,

There's a chance you'd lose your benefits entirely. The current Substantial Gainful Allowance (SGA) is $1,220. If you're making $945 every two weeks then you'll be making over the monthly SGA. The SSA may re-evaluate your case and find that since you can make over the SGA, you are no longer eligible for benefits.

Valerie Gonzalez (not verified)
Thu, 08/22/2019 - 03:01 Permalink

I just got back on disability and am receiving $813 every other week. My job was very demanding and I couldn’t do the tasks anymore due to my Addison’s Disease. However, that income isn’t enough for living. I am a licensed caregiver also, that requires just watching over my patient. Am I able to work part time and still collect my disability benefits?

Aziza (not verified)
Wed, 09/18/2019 - 21:41 Permalink

Hi I get 631In month from ssDi I and I work part time job my gross is 1200 effect my disability check

Mary Ann Lennon (not verified)
Wed, 09/25/2019 - 04:43 Permalink

So if i get ssi an work making less then 880 a month they won't reduce my benefits is that correct

Quenna (not verified)
Wed, 09/25/2019 - 18:55 Permalink

My ssid check is $771 how many hr can i work and not let it affect my check

Donna (not verified)
Wed, 10/02/2019 - 14:45 Permalink

My husband is on disability. How would this affect my husband if I go back to work?

In reply to by Donna (not verified)

Wed, 10/02/2019 - 16:11 Permalink

Hi Donna,

It depends on what type of disability benefit he is on. If he is receiving SSDI then he should be fine. If he is receiving SSI then your income may reduce or stop his benefits.

Debbie (not verified)
Wed, 10/16/2019 - 13:40 Permalink

I am 64 years old been on disability for 5 years but I need to get out of the house because i am to isolated just need to meet people can I work a part time job working like 12 hours a week

In reply to by Debbie (not verified)

Wed, 10/16/2019 - 14:36 Permalink

Hi Debbie,

The number of hours you work does not matter. You need to make less than $880/month or you'll enter the Trial Work Program.

Jim (not verified)
Thu, 10/17/2019 - 15:04 Permalink

I'm on disability I make 891 a month can't make ends meet how much can I make without it affecting my disability.

Deb (not verified)
Thu, 11/07/2019 - 09:46 Permalink

If I made less than $880, do I need to report the income?

Fri, 11/08/2019 - 21:56 Permalink

So if on Ssdi and work only 10 hours a week, that earned money will not be deducted from my monthly ssdi benefits?

Tue, 11/12/2019 - 16:58 Permalink

As long as you make less than $880 a month, you won't enter the Trial Work Period and your benefits should remain unaffected.

Mark A. Watters (not verified)
Thu, 11/21/2019 - 08:25 Permalink

Will what i earn be deducted from my monthly benefits?

Julia (not verified)
Tue, 11/26/2019 - 15:23 Permalink

Hi, I’m currently on disability but the pay cut percentage isn’t enough to cover my monthly expenses. Can I do something like delivering food on the side to make more money. I read that I would have to claim it and there could be a possible cut in my pay and that would defeat the purpose of doing the extra “job”

mts

In reply to by Julia (not verified)

Tue, 11/26/2019 - 15:48 Permalink

Hi Julia,

The following link will go into a little more detail if you want to read more after a quick overview. Basically, half of any income you earn while working on SSDI will be deducted from your benefits. This means that in terms of income, working will rarely hurt. Just be sure to keep the SSA aware of everything that you are doing and be aware of the substantial gainful activity limit.

Curtis (not verified)
Tue, 11/26/2019 - 19:09 Permalink

What is the purpose of the SGA of $1220 if we can't make more than $880 ?

In reply to by Curtis (not verified)

Wed, 11/27/2019 - 11:14 Permalink

Hi Curtis,

After you make $880, you'll enter into the Trial Work Period. If you make the SGA during that time, then the SSA will review your case to see if you are still eligible for benefits.

Joe (not verified)
Fri, 12/20/2019 - 02:55 Permalink

hi! so i receive 925 from my ssa. my question is if i start working again, as long as I don't make more than 925 in a month I'm fine?

In reply to by Joe (not verified)

Fri, 12/20/2019 - 11:28 Permalink

Hi Joe,

You have to keep your income from working under the SGA, which is $910 for 2020. If you go over, then you'll enter the Trial Work Period.

Gladys Coles (not verified)
Thu, 01/02/2020 - 22:55 Permalink

If I work 20 hours a week at 14.70 an hour will that affect my ssdi

Skylar (not verified)
Fri, 03/20/2020 - 02:10 Permalink

How much money am I allowed to make in either two weeks or per month if I am on disability?

Kristen (not verified)
Sun, 03/22/2020 - 21:06 Permalink

I started working while getting ssdi. I am self employed and do contract work less than 80 hours per month but make a substantial income some months. I think I am on the verge of exhausting my 9 trial work months. Or perhaps this is not the case since I always work less than 80 hours a month??

In reply to by Kristen (not verified)

Fri, 03/27/2020 - 16:14 Permalink

Hi Kristen,

It depends on how much monthly income you have been earning. For 2020, anything over $910/month is considered part of the TWP. For 2019, it was anything over $880/month.

Fri, 03/27/2020 - 13:19 Permalink

I won't to work part time get SSI Disability how much can I make a month and my check will not be touched

Fri, 03/27/2020 - 15:54 Permalink

You can make under $910/month. If you make more than that, you'll be entered into the Trial Work Period.

Zanita (not verified)
Thu, 04/02/2020 - 20:36 Permalink

I made 10,254 for the 2019 year. divided that by 12 to get the monthly of 854.50 SSA benefit. The benefit and the part time work needs to be under 1,220? So at min wage of 11.25 hr at 30 hours a month ..id make 337.50 ...854.50+337.50= 1,192. That would keep me from entering the Trial work period?

In reply to by Zanita (not verified)

Fri, 04/03/2020 - 13:48 Permalink

Hi Zanita,

To avoid the Trial Work Period, you would have to earn less than $910 a month. I would keep it under $900 to be safe.

Renee (not verified)
Thu, 04/30/2020 - 08:08 Permalink

Hi I been receiving disablity over 18yrs and I try to work part time some checks be 7hundred last one was over thousand due to the virus and extra pay they give am i still.ok

In reply to by Renee (not verified)

Fri, 05/01/2020 - 15:13 Permalink

Hi Renee,

That month will be included in part of your Trial Work Period. If you continue to make over the SGA, then your case may be reopened and the SSA will determine if you are still eligible for benefits.

Mona Korsmoe (not verified)
Fri, 05/08/2020 - 09:19 Permalink

I am wondering how many hours I can work as a cashier while being on disability?

In reply to by Mona Korsmoe (not verified)

Fri, 05/08/2020 - 14:28 Permalink

Hi Mona,

There is not limit on the hours, but there is no the income. If you make more than $910 a month then you will be entered into the trial work period.

Mon, 05/18/2020 - 20:48 Permalink

How much can a make in a month and still keep my Disability

CM

In reply to by Romaroman (not verified)

Tue, 07/21/2020 - 16:59 Permalink

You can begin to work and continue to receive SSI benefits as long as your wages and resources do not exceed the SSA’s income limit for SSI; however, your monthly benefit amount will be reduced in proportion to your income.

Andrea Alcantar (not verified)
Tue, 07/14/2020 - 01:07 Permalink

I just got a waitress job I have to claim my cc tips and make $2.13 an hour but I work over 40 hrs a week . Will I loose my SSD ? My hours run about 43 to 45 hours a week

In reply to by Andrea Alcantar (not verified)

Fri, 07/17/2020 - 14:22 Permalink

Hi Andrea,

The SSA will not look at the number of hours worked, but rather how much you made. If you make over $910 a month then you'll be entered into the Trial Work Period.