How many hours can you work if on disability

630 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
How many hours can you work if on disability

How many hours are you allowed to work if on disability

Igg
The number of hours you work

The number of hours you work does not matter. You cannot work at a job in which you make above the substantial gainful activity (SGA) amount. The SGA amount for 2014 is $1,070 per month.

lafinley
what is the current SGA

what is the current SGA amount?

Hi there,

Hi there,
it is $1,130 a month.

Leslie Bertucci
what age can I make as much

what age can I make as much as I want while on disability

Hi Leslie,

Hi Leslie,
There is no age that you can make as much as you want on disability, however when your benefits convert to retirement there will be no earnings limit.

David Tapphorn
What age do benefits convert

What age do benefits convert to retirement

Hi David,

Hi David,

You will find that information on this page:https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/blog/disability-benefits-switch...

George kellley
If I work 20 hours a week do

If I work 20 hours a week do I affect my SSI disability

Hi George,

Hi George,

The number of hours you were per week does not matter, your monthly income determines if you can stay on SSDI or not.

Tracy Brueckman
I'm on SSI and I'm

I'm on SSI and I'm working 18 hours a week will my benefits and being on social security be effected

Hi Tracy,

Hi Tracy,

You can work but you cannot exceed the monthly income limit of $750.

Amanda
If i make 500.00 a month will

If i make 500.00 a month will it effect my ssi check

Hi Amanda,

Hi Amanda,

That should be okay. That income shouldn't trigger a trial work period.

Samantha brown
So I would be able to work up

So I would be able to work up to 15 hours a week without having anything taken out of my disability is that correct? Because my biggest worry is that if I start working a job and they lessen the amount that I get for disability every month and for some reason I lose my job am I going to be able to get that money back or will I still get the same amount every month no matter what?

Hi Samantha,

Hi Samantha,
If you're receiving SSI benefits, then they would be reduced one dollar for every two that you earn, but if you lose that income, they would adjust it higher as SSI is based on income.

Mike Rutherford
That's my question. If

That's my question. If I try to work and find I cant, do I lose my disability check.

Hi Mike,

Hi Mike,
If you are unable to work, then you may keep eligibility for benefits.

SSI CR
You can make as much money as

You can make as much money as you want to make and your employer wants to pay you. The Social Security Administration does not stop you from working. But your real question may be how much can you earn from a job and have zero effect on your disability benefits. Way too complicated to give a full answer here. Should go to socialsecurity.gov and search for the Red Book of Work Incentives. Read it. Then ask questions about what you have read.

Brian
I have severe anxiety and

I have severe anxiety and sometimes bad n sometimes tolerate. I don't want to lose my benifits specialty my medical side because I see doctors all different times

Hi Brian,

Hi Brian,
If you are on SSDI, just make sure you earn less than $800 per month and you should be fine.

Kyle
I also have severe anxiety

I also have severe anxiety was wondering..and abnormal bone structures in my back and ankles..drs..medical all the same..I just landed a forklifts job easy on body but anxiety is terrible

Hi Kyle,

Hi Kyle,

You may be able to. You can apply on the Social Security's website.

Best of Luck,

James hampton
I am approved to work or time

I am approved to work or time. I make 9 dollars an hr. 25 hours a week. And I'm under the acceptable amount

Eddie.
1.Where can I find a Doctor

1.Where can I find a Doctor that takes medicare?
2.My son is ADHD (He's11) and my wife pays out of pocket for his doctor visits and his medication.Will SS pay for his meds? (probaly not Im guessing?)
3.I have been disable going on 10 years now,and I want to know if I can get food stamps?
4.HELP!!! Any help will do...lol Thanks.

Hi Eddie,

Hi Eddie, thanks for your questions.
1) You can search medicare.gov to find a doctor who takes medicare nearest you
2) ADHD has severe requirements to be covered by social security, but do not let that discourage you. Research, document, and call SSA at 1-800-772-1213 if you have any further questions.
3) You may be eligible for food stamps depending how serious and disabling your condition is.
4) Hope this helps!

denise
Can I go back to work pt

Can I go back to work pt while receiving ssd

Hi Denise,

Hi Denise,
You may be able to depending on the SSA's definition of your disability and if you're able to stay within any income limitations that your benefits may have.

keith d. bennett
I'm on CPP Disability..

I'm on CPP Disability...can I get a part-time job. How much can I make and if I was not able to continue work will my cpp claim be re-instated & how soon.

Hi Keith,

Hi Keith,
I really could not say as we are not experts on the Canadian Pension Plan.

Chris
What the difference betweem

What the difference betweem ssi and regular disability. #2 what if work 2 day and the i get paid a 1099.

Hi Chris,

Hi Chris,
SSI is for people who haven't worked (or kids) but who are very needy. SSDI is only for people who worked and paid taxes. You can still earn some income while on SSDI benefits, but less than $1,130 per month.

Derrick
I am 65 can I work full time

I am 65 can I work full time and still collect ssdi?

Hi Derrick,

Hi Derrick,

Usually once you turn 65, your SSDI will convert to regular Social Security retirement benefits.

-Eric

Robert h
I had a question if you are

I had a question if you are on SSI how many hours within the month are you allowed to work to keep your Social Security benefits

Hi Robert,

Hi Robert,
Income, not hours is what counts. You cannot earn more than $1,170 per month while qualifying. Every dollar you earn will reduce your SSI payment by 50 cents.

Veronica Jackson
If I can find a job how much

If I can find a job how much can I make being on ssi disability

Hi Veronica,

Hi Veronica,
You may be able to make up to $733 a month while on SSI benefits.

Christopher Mic...
Hello Bryan and Veronica. If

Hello Bryan and Veronica. If the SSI monthly payment benefits are $733, then can you make anything on top of that to supplement the income? $733 isn't much to live on? So can you make up to and match your benefit amount? So total monthly gross would be $1466?

Hi Christopher,

Hi Christopher,
There really isn't a limit, but the SSA will reduce benefits one dollar for every two that you earn.

Christopher Michaels
Thank you Bryan. So if I

Thank you Bryan. So if I understand correctly, if an individual is on SSI and getting $733/Month, then they can't make any supplemental income above $733 or the $733 is reduced? So in essence on SSI you can only get $733/month, No Supplemental is allowed?

Hi Christopher,

Hi Christopher,
Your state can add supplemental benefits to the 733, and it may not count against the federal benefit.

Christopher Michaels
So when on SSI, you Can Not

So when on SSI, you Can Not Have ANY Earnings above the $733. So you live on $733 nothing else? Maybe food assistance but no money other than the $733 from SSI?

Hi Christopher,

Hi Christopher,
That is not correct. Many people are still eligible for benefits even if they work, but the SSA would reduce their benefits one dollar for every two that they make.

James
Is there a limit on hours per

Is there a limit on hours per day you can work or does it only apply to weekly hours

Hi James,

Hi James,
there is no limit on hours worked for disability benefits, however there are limits on monthly income.

Lynne
I see you tell people a

I see you tell people a dollar amount per month. My question is, Is that dollar amount in ADDITION to what they are receiving already from SSDI. Or does that dollar amount inlude the SSDI? Thank you!

Hi Lynne,

Hi Lynne,
That is total earned income, and it does not include the benefit check you would receive.

Michael
Thanks for the answer on that

Thanks for the answer on that question

Rogermix
Is there a nine month period

Is there a nine month period where you can make all you want and it not effect your SSD

Hi there,

Hi there,
That period is referred to as a trial work period, and it is intended to enable people on SSDI benefits to return to work without affecting their benefits during that transition process.

Pages

Add new comment