SSDI length of time for back pay?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 11/18/2012 - 00:19

When I initially met with my attorney, I was told that back pay would go back one year from application, minus 5 months (I had already waited over 2 years to file because I was told I would have "full recovery" after my 2 fusion surgeries). I've received my acceptance letter but not my back pay yet, and during my search for more info on the process I came across a SSDI page stating that even if it takes 24 months for your claim to get approved, you can only receive pay for 12 months. Can anybody help clarify this for me please? Also, I have friends who received their back pay before or immediately after their approval letters (NY), but I've seen posts by people saying it took several months so I was wondering if there was a formula for when I can expect mine? I'm not looking to go on a spending spree, but I have a mortgage, car payment, property and school taxes, and children to feed and clothe as well as one in an expensive college. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and all input is appreciated.

tee (not verified)
Tue, 06/28/2016 - 10:36 Permalink

My case is at the payment center as a critic need case how much longer before I get payment?

Margie (not verified)
Wed, 06/29/2016 - 19:25 Permalink

The judge made a favorable bench decision how long will it take to start getting benefits

In reply to by Margie (not verified)

Thu, 06/30/2016 - 12:16 Permalink

Hi Margie,
I would not be able to say, but once you receive a decision letter it may specify more about when your benefits will start.

Donna (not verified)
Thu, 06/30/2016 - 09:18 Permalink

My husband was finally approved for his SSD he is entitled to back pay. He got his first check 06/22/16 when will he get his back pay? His claim was approved May 13th he got the letter

In reply to by Donna (not verified)

Thu, 06/30/2016 - 12:15 Permalink

Hi Donna,
Back pay generally comes four months after the you start monthly benefits.

bev (not verified)
Mon, 07/04/2016 - 19:25 Permalink

i applied 2012 won fully fave may 4th 2016 got award letterand it saysnothing about my payback award at all! lawyer said id be getting a large amt im scaredas it says under ..why we cant pay past benifits: benifits due dec 2012 thru may 2016 .00 , all zeros plshelp cannot get any answers and among physical pain i sufferfrom extreme anxiety panic attacks thank you

In reply to by bev (not verified)

Tue, 07/05/2016 - 10:57 Permalink

Hi Bev,
You may not have received a fully favorable decision, and as such you may not have been eligible for back pay.

Karen (not verified)
Tue, 07/05/2016 - 19:52 Permalink

Thank you for your replys .Today i spoke with my DD examiner and told him about my eviction and he said I should receive my determination in the mail by Thursday and i have cleared you medically your claim has been sent back to your local social security office i hope this helps .. whats that mean?

In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Wed, 07/06/2016 - 09:45 Permalink

Hi Karen,
I think that means that they're on the case and should be following up with you pretty soon!

Karen (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Fri, 07/08/2016 - 14:33 Permalink

Brian I was denied SSI and SSD they said that we have determined that your condition is not severe enough to keep you from working we considered the medical and other information your age education training work experience in determining how your conditions affect your ability to work you said that you are unable to work because of the following conditions mood disorder attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and depression they did not add my generalized anxiety good total evidence of the case File shows that you do have some limitations as a result of the medical impairments noted however these limitations do not Preclude all work in the general economy as is required by this program we do not have sufficient vocational information to determine whether you can perform any of your past relevant work however based on the evidence in the file we have determined that you can adjust to other work if your condition gets worse and keeps you from working right call or visit any Social Security office about filing another application what's this all mean I've decided to hire an attorney for an appeal I have an eighth grade education and a learning disability I was in special education all through grade school I went to ninth and tenth grade but was passed along if I came to class

In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Fri, 07/08/2016 - 14:37 Permalink

Hi Karen,
If you fill out the form on the left, we can have an disability advocate or attorney reach out to you!

Richard (not verified)
Wed, 07/06/2016 - 11:12 Permalink

I am hoping someone can help me. I've been fighting for my social security since 2013 many denials, I was just told Thursday I was approved. How far back will they go?

In reply to by Richard (not verified)

Wed, 07/06/2016 - 14:22 Permalink

Hi Richard,
They may go as far back as your Established Onset Date, which is when the SSA decided you became disabled.

Wed, 07/06/2016 - 13:35 Permalink

I applies dor ssd and turned down twoce it is now going to court sepf 19 th.c will I get back pqy drom the time I dillw dirts

Wed, 07/06/2016 - 14:21 Permalink

generally, back pay is only paid for the time you applied until you start receiving monthly benefits.

JoNell Jasnoch (not verified)
Thu, 07/07/2016 - 16:04 Permalink

Hi,
I was approved for disability on 1/15/2015. I received my first disability check 1/3/16. I'm still waiting on my disability backpay. When I call they tell me 30 days but that never happens. I went in to the social security office and they said mine was complicated because of my disabled son and the passing of my husband in 2014 and my turning 65 the end of July. They said they just started working on it the end of March! I was told each time I call to inquire they put it at the end of the pile of claims! My husband and I worked our entire life. He's gone now and I'm living on $1957.00 a month. Who can live on that amount. I have medical bills in collections and need my backpay!! Need answers!!

In reply to by JoNell Jasnoch (not verified)

Fri, 07/08/2016 - 10:00 Permalink

Hi JoNell,
You may want to contact the SSA with some documentation showing that you have medical bills in collections, they may be able to expedite your back pay if you have an urgent need for it.

Kenks (not verified)
Fri, 07/08/2016 - 07:06 Permalink

I applied for SSD back on 2/16 just got my denial letter, in the process of hiring an attorney for the appealing process just wanted to know how long before I get a hearing. I'm in California from what I've read this might takes years. Please advise. One last question, because of my disability (SLE,Sjogrens,Fibromyalgia) I stopped working on 6/15 been on disability since then and my last check is schedule for the end of this month my question does the 5 month waiting period still apply to my case?

In reply to by Kenks (not verified)

Fri, 07/08/2016 - 09:44 Permalink

Hi Kenks,
Hearing times will vary by location, but the average wait time is 17 months currently. The 5 month waiting period is the period you would have to wait after approval rather than anything else. If you're still looking for a lawyer, if you fill out the form on the left, we can have a disability advocate or attorney reach out to you.

concerned (not verified)
Sat, 07/09/2016 - 08:51 Permalink

I am wondering how long to get back pay after first check

In reply to by concerned (not verified)

Mon, 07/11/2016 - 10:36 Permalink

It generally takes about four months after you start receiving benefits to get back pay.

Danielle E (not verified)
Sat, 07/09/2016 - 14:55 Permalink

My attorney amount of was issued in a letter I recieved. I got two letters, the first was a typo and told me I needed a rep payee. The. The other one states all this stuff about cost of living. My benefits began in August 2014. I was found disabled. I hadn't quite yet quit working. So, long story short, they have a bunch of zeros with an explanation of no benefits due aug 2016 through may2016. I filed for SSDI, and SSI. I have already talked to my attorney about this. I had no idea that I am not getting any back pay. I have been homeless, begging people to take me in!! What the heck? Alls I see is a bunch of 00.00

In reply to by Danielle E (not verified)

Mon, 07/11/2016 - 10:45 Permalink

Hi Danielle,
The SSA may not have the full story, I would consult with your attorney about this.

Karen (not verified)
Sat, 07/09/2016 - 18:18 Permalink

I applied for benefits on May 24th 2016 I was denied benefits june 7 2016 I filing a appeal I have retained an attorney Is it true people don't get approve during reconsideration? Also I was told it also could take up to a year to win approval or denial does that include the time that I've applied

In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Mon, 07/11/2016 - 10:44 Permalink

Hi Karen,
People can be approved during reconsideration, but some are denied as well. As far as the process, it can take up to 17 months to receive a hearing after being denied for reconsideration, so yes, it may take up to a year depending on their reconsideration decision.

Karen (not verified)
Sun, 07/10/2016 - 14:51 Permalink

Can I ask my attorney if he can file a dire need for my reconsideration? Also my psychiatrist is going elsewhere could I ask him to make a statement written on my behalf to help my claim before he leaves at the end of August?

In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Mon, 07/11/2016 - 10:41 Permalink

Hi Karen,
You can absolutely do both, however I'm not sure if the dire need of reconsideration would be accepted by the SSA.

Karen (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Mon, 07/11/2016 - 16:39 Permalink

Also my medications being up to higher dosage is that information that my lawyer should know as well would it help my claim?

Karen (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 11:55 Permalink

I just spoke with my attorney and he told me that we are not going to be going after a reconsideration appeal it was going to be a hearing appeal my question was if my claim was to be expedited because of my hardships dire need how long does it normally take for a hearing when being expedited for dire need?

In reply to by Karen (not verified)

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 13:35 Permalink

Hi Karen,
I'm not entirely sure what the timeline for an expedited appeal would be in this case, but for Compassionate Allowance cases they can approve someone for benefits in as little as ten days.

Carrie Casto (not verified)
Tue, 07/12/2016 - 19:27 Permalink

I had no problem being awarded SS Disability and received $41k back pay. I disclosed end date for WC time loss payments on application and 4 other times prior to award.
Received another request for WC payment information. After review SS sent me a letter saying they overpaid me. They stated they paid me $70k but it should have been only $58k (which would have been about 80% of the salary I was earning when disabled) HOWEVER, I only received $42k and therefore, it became an underpayment situation. After presenting information to SS in face to face meeting, I never heard anything about overpayment or underpayment again.
You would think it would be unconstitutional if the numbers change now that they owe me, right? Considering they were prepared to hold me accountable to the numbers in the overpayment letter, the same standards should apply to SSDI......apparently not.
In a response to my request to receive the underpayment, I just received a letter saying I was paid $27k that should have been only $9k and I now owe an overpayment of $18k AGAIN!!
According to my calculations,it appears with each contact with SS resulted in 80% being deducted from each of the amounts above reducing the amount of my retro pay to $27k......Arf?

In reply to by Carrie Casto (not verified)

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 09:48 Permalink

Hi Carrie,
I'm not really sure what's going on there, but human error is a very real thing, even at the SSA.

karen (not verified)
Wed, 07/13/2016 - 04:07 Permalink

Hi I got a notice of award and i entitled for monthly benefits for rsdi and I was denial for ssi but they paid me back pay for the ssi but what I want to know will I get back pay for my rsdi because award letter said that they withholding part of the back pay for the attny and at the end of the letter it do not state how much i'll be getting all there is 00.00 ?

In reply to by karen (not verified)

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 09:42 Permalink

Hi Karen,
Attorneys are generally paid about 25% of your backpay, or $6000, whichever is less. However, they are able to charge for out-of-pocket expenses as well.

Danny (not verified)
Wed, 07/13/2016 - 15:47 Permalink

Yes I was turned down because l could walk talk use my hands and think for myself. I have cirrhosis coronary heart failure a and hepc copd acid reflux disease chronic constipation depression fatigue and anxiety disordered now l have hepatic encephalopathy that means confusion memory loss and can't focus on simple tasks please help me too understand why ssa can't help me?

In reply to by Danny (not verified)

Wed, 07/13/2016 - 15:52 Permalink

Hi Danny,
You may have been denied for a few reasons, the most common are that you did not have the right amount of work credits for SSDI or that you did not meet the income requirements for SSI. Regardless, it may be a good idea to contact a disability advocate or attorney, they may help you maximize your chances of being approved. If you fill out the form on the top left of this page, we can have one reach out to you.

karen (not verified)
Wed, 07/13/2016 - 16:58 Permalink

Denise (not verified)
Fri, 07/15/2016 - 15:46 Permalink

Hi,

My mother was approved for SSI & SSA back in Jan. 2016. Her regular monthly payments started in April 2016. But they will not release all of her back pay for another 6 months. We need help on rent and others bills because I had to take off work to care for my mother from time to time and it's a struggle. How can we get help?

In reply to by Denise (not verified)

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 11:59 Permalink

Hi Denise,
If you bring documentation of your need for expedited back pay, the SSA may be able to help you out.

Aubbrina (not verified)
Sun, 07/17/2016 - 00:31 Permalink

How long does it take for my son back pay to show up the day on the computer

In reply to by Aubbrina (not verified)

Mon, 07/18/2016 - 12:00 Permalink

Hi Aubbrina,
It will vary based on what bank you use and how long it takes for them to process the payment.

Richard (not verified)
Tue, 07/19/2016 - 12:28 Permalink

I was approved may 27th 2016. I still haven't received anything or any phone call. The only way I found out I was approved was by my lawyer calling to check my case. Why haven't I received anything?

In reply to by Richard (not verified)

Tue, 07/19/2016 - 12:46 Permalink

Hi Richard,
I am sorry to hear that. It can often take 2-3 months for your payments to start--just hang in there! They should arrive shortly.

vanessa (not verified)
Sat, 07/23/2016 - 15:58 Permalink

I went through the same thing n just got my reward letter last week.... I will be getting paid (backpay) for 2 years (24 months), so no, that's not true. I applied in June 2014 and was denied ...Got an attorney afterwards, and was accepted from the 1st time I signed up, so you most definitely should be getting 2 years back pay as well.

Sherry (not verified)
Tue, 07/26/2016 - 09:15 Permalink

I filed for my disability in Feb.2013. I was turned down twice. The third time went in front of ALJ that was March 2016. All I know is it's in writing. I am a single mom with a teenage boy .

Patricia maynor (not verified)
Tue, 07/26/2016 - 14:10 Permalink

How can I find out if my back pay for ssd has been mailed out