Lump sum back payment

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 13:04

I received two lump sum payments, but I have not spent all of the funds. I want to make a funeral arrangement and buy a car. How soon must I spend the lump sum payment.

Gabriel (not verified)

In reply to by Danielle (not verified)

Tue, 05/16/2017 - 01:23 Permalink

The SSA can pay a lump sum on SSI if you need a certain criteria. For example; I was approved but did it for a closed period as I went back to work. Now I'm receiving my SSI and SSDI both in one lump sum

Rob brooks (not verified)

In reply to by Jennifer (not verified)

Fri, 02/10/2017 - 01:31 Permalink

If you need money for a car or house some types of bill you can go to SSA office and ask say you want to buy an rv to live in take them a price list for it I bought a rv off Craig's list printed a picture and price called the owner showed the paper to the SSA people and 4 days later I had the money I needed thy have a list of what you can use the money for just ask


In reply to by Rob brooks (not verified)

Mon, 02/13/2017 - 15:40 Permalink

Hi Rob,
Thanks for sharing! It's true, the SSA may expedite payments if you can show documented need for the funds.

Sherry Alongi (not verified)

In reply to by Rob brooks (not verified)

Sun, 07/16/2017 - 17:57 Permalink

Your post described almost exactly what i have been considering. I have been paid 1 installment, have $32,000 remaining..and need access to my funds asap as i shared a residence with my mother and our home was part of a fire 2 weeks ago which has left us homeless. Called my rep and he simply said "fax over a letter with an amount of what your asking for". Well, i lost everything so i need to rebuild from clothes to furniture to a home but when searching online for details, no specific info about limits they will disburse or if i had to qualify first to purchase a home before they would release the funds.


In reply to by Sherry Alongi (not verified)

Mon, 07/17/2017 - 11:16 Permalink

Hi Sherry,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to ask for an amount that would cover those things, however you may want to contact your local office and ask them about purchasing a home as that can affect your benefits eligibility.

Sherry Alongi (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Sun, 07/30/2017 - 16:48 Permalink

Now, i need a vehicle. Is it likely in all the posts you receive for claimants to have more than 1 exception for release of back pay funds, approved?


In reply to by Sherry Alongi (not verified)

Mon, 07/31/2017 - 08:23 Permalink

HI Kelly,
Yes, you may be able to get funds released for that as well, it may be a good idea to bring information about the car you'd like to buy as well so that they'd have an idea as to what to release for dire need.

Lisa Moore (not verified)

In reply to by Rob brooks (not verified)

Sat, 07/29/2017 - 13:36 Permalink

I have been waiting on my back pay for 4 months and I believe the processing center paid out money to student loans that wasn't supposed to be paid because I had already made payment arrangements. Now there holding the rest of my back pay and I need a car and a place to live. I have called numerous times to social security and they send messages to release funds immediately for desperate needs but still it's not helping. What can I do? I'm forced to live with my husband who requires me to do what he says or I don't get a ride to places I need to go. I'm desperate! !! Please advise me on what I can do. please help or direct me to who can. Thank you!


In reply to by Lisa Moore (not verified)

Mon, 07/31/2017 - 08:28 Permalink

HI Lisa,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to gather documentation about your dire need (medical bills, eviction notices, ect) and your arrangements with your student loans to send along to the SSA. They may be better able to help you with evidence of a hardship.

Monica (not verified)

In reply to by Rob brooks (not verified)

Tue, 10/17/2017 - 14:29 Permalink

My 11yr got awarded big lump sum pay back but SSI told me its 4 her needs so if I wanted 2 buy a house so I can stop renting can I ask for her money 2 be release 2 me


In reply to by Monica (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 09:44 Permalink

Hi Monica,
Housing may be an acceptable use of funds, but it's a good idea to contact your local SSA office for particular information about her case.

Desperate Disabled (not verified)

In reply to by Jennifer (not verified)

Sat, 06/24/2017 - 14:02 Permalink

Thanks for sending me to my congressman. I have Huffman and then Boxer and another longtime rep in the Senate who I am having my rep payee contact. It is a large lump sum, attorney's were paid months ago, I never requested SSI as I was told by SSI they would halt my payment for back pay by 6 months which they did anyway.
I have made Liam repay promises, need medical attention, have put deposits down I am loosing, can't get my wheel chair and so on. I am loosing my mind trying to deal with this people.


In reply to by Desperate Disabled (not verified)

Tue, 06/27/2017 - 13:16 Permalink

Hi there,
I;m sorry to hear about that! It's definitely a good thing that you're reaching out to your representatives. Hang in there!


In reply to by Siomara (not verified)

Wed, 12/06/2017 - 13:07 Permalink

Hi Siomara,
you may want search for this information for your congressman who would represent you where you live.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.