Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Dean (not verified)
Sat, 10/31/2015 - 07:47 Permalink

Will me children get disability if i get disability even if i do not have custody of them?

Raelene Stephenson (not verified)

In reply to by Dean (not verified)

Mon, 08/22/2016 - 20:43 Permalink

I get disability. For my child had sole custody. Of my son me my ex are divorced. He filed emergency custody of my son. Iam responded. Well he get his money.


In reply to by Raelene Stephenson (not verified)

Tue, 08/23/2016 - 10:15 Permalink

Hi Raelene,
Generally, a person does not need to have custody of a child to receive their benefits for them. Regardless, that money is still intended for the child's care and upkeep.

Jennifer Coleman (not verified)
Mon, 11/02/2015 - 10:06 Permalink

My husband has been getting disability for about 2yrs. I have been told that my 6yr old son could get a check through his daddy. How do I get my sons check started?


In reply to by Jennifer Coleman (not verified)

Tue, 11/03/2015 - 09:29 Permalink

Hi Jennifer,
Your son should be eligible. You will need to call the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to schedule an appointment with your closest office, where you can fill out the paperwork to get him benefits.

linda (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Mon, 04/04/2016 - 07:41 Permalink

My question is simular. My husband and I separate 5 years ago. I was left with our 2 adopted daughters age 11yrs old. He's been receiving disability over 5 yrs. I did not know until a month ago. So I applied for our adopted daughters. Social Security worker told me that they will pay back pay for a year. I feel that's not fair . How was I to know he was on disability. When he applied he said that he did not have any minor children but I showed proof to the worker that we both adopted the girls. Do you believe that my girls should get back pay even longer than 1 year? I believe so.


In reply to by linda (not verified)

Fri, 11/04/2016 - 11:40 Permalink

Hi Linda ,
Your children may be able to get back pay from the time that your ex spouse was disabled in some cases. I think the caseworker may have been under the impression that they were applying for themselves with a disability.

Angela (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Wed, 06/28/2017 - 23:18 Permalink

Linda, any luck..I am in teh same boat. I have been rec. SSDI for 15 years and adopted my son and no one told me he got anything. Were you able to get any back payments? Could I get a lawyer to help? Anyone?

Latoya (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Sat, 11/12/2016 - 16:41 Permalink

If my child father is Receiving SSD and he didn't put my child name down and his name not on my son Birth Certificate but he is down on child support payments thru the courts can I use that as proof that he is my child father


In reply to by Latoya (not verified)

Mon, 11/14/2016 - 10:22 Permalink

Hi Latoya,
You may be able to but it's a good idea to contact the SSA regarding what forms of records they will take to prove parenthood of a child. You may want to contact them at 1-800-772-1213

Tonya (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Sat, 07/29/2017 - 12:07 Permalink

If my child father didn't put my son name down on his initial application two years ago will he be able to get the 2 years of back pay if I show proof from child support of paternity???

connie (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Tue, 08/01/2017 - 13:27 Permalink

Bryan I have a similar situation I have guardianship of my granddaughter my daughter just got her disability can my granddaughter receive it since I have guardianship?


In reply to by connie (not verified)

Wed, 08/02/2017 - 16:30 Permalink

Hi Connie,
Your granddaughter may be able to if she is receiving SSDI benefits, however she would not be eligible for benefits if her mother is receiving SSI benefits.

Kelly (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Wed, 12/06/2017 - 08:58 Permalink

My daughter is on ssdi she draws from her father. She gets a small ssi check as well. She has an 8 yr old son. Is he eligible for bennefits?

Condy (not verified)

In reply to by Deanna

Thu, 02/01/2018 - 16:24 Permalink

My husband and I are getting guardianship of our two nieces age 3 and four. Their mother so far has not lost her parental rights that the children have been removed from the home. She gets SSI disability because of her diabetes. Are the girls eligible for Any benefits ?


In reply to by Condy (not verified)

Tue, 02/06/2018 - 16:26 Permalink

Hi Condy,
The girls may not be eligible as SSI benefits are based on income rather than work record and as such SSI does not include benefits for dependents.

Treasa driggers (not verified)

In reply to by Jennifer Coleman (not verified)

Fri, 11/04/2016 - 10:37 Permalink

I have been told the same thing.. I have a 2 year old little girl and every one tell me she can get a check off of me and I need to know how I can get that start as well pls.. Thanks

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!