Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/26/2011 - 13:47

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?

Fay (not verified)
Mon, 05/14/2018 - 11:42 Permalink

My childs father had applied for SS im not sure if he will qualify for SSD or SSI if he only gets SSI will on going or past due child support come out of his benefits?


In reply to by Fay (not verified)

Mon, 05/14/2018 - 16:57 Permalink

Unfortunately, I cannot answer this question. Child support is determined by Child Services, not SSA. It is up to Child Services to decide if a person on disability should pay child support out of the benefits.

Marvin (not verified)
Thu, 05/17/2018 - 10:34 Permalink

I am receiving SSD if I go to work will my child continue to receive his monthly checks


In reply to by Marvin (not verified)

Thu, 05/17/2018 - 11:33 Permalink

Hi Marvin,

It depends on how much you would be making at your work. I would contact the SSA to see if they can shed some light on this.

Sherry (not verified)
Mon, 05/21/2018 - 22:03 Permalink

I’m confused. I was approved for SSDI snf when I filed for my kids, they’re gonna receive hardly nothing. I curious as to how they came up with such a low amount.


In reply to by Sherry (not verified)

Tue, 05/22/2018 - 16:19 Permalink

Hi Sherry,

The Maximum household income limit is around 175% of one beneficiary's entitlement. Basically, your household income limit is 175% of what you receive as your monthly payment. For example, if you receive $1,000 per month, your total household monthly payment cannot be more that $1,750.

deb (not verified)
Wed, 06/20/2018 - 18:18 Permalink

My ex gets disability is my daughter suppose to get a check sent to her


In reply to by deb (not verified)

Thu, 06/21/2018 - 16:58 Permalink

Hi Deb,

If she doesn't have a disability of her own then she could possibly get auxiliary benefits if she is under the age of 18.

Michelle Brink… (not verified)
Tue, 08/14/2018 - 19:30 Permalink

Ok im 35 and my biological father was just approved for ssdi and my sibling and i are to recieve a large amount of money from his back pay or whatever it is however my biological mother is threatening to keep this large amount of money for herself and not give it to me and my family or my sibling and their family. Are we entitled to that money or is she? If so how do i go about protesting to where she dont get it but my sibling and i do??

Jen (not verified)
Wed, 08/15/2018 - 01:23 Permalink

My ex-husband informed me today that if my children receive back pay for my SSDI application that money is yo be used to offset his child support?

My first question is would my children receive any type of back pay since I am the one disabled?

Second, would any back pay from my children be an offset for child support?

I was under the impression child support in Texas is based on my exhusbands income?

What would be the reasoning to offset his child support?

Larry (not verified)
Wed, 08/15/2018 - 13:41 Permalink

My daughter turns 18 on the 30th of august. SSD sent me 2 letters stating that they would not be sending her money this month, but they did. Is it because her birthday is almost the last day of month or an oversite

Jackie (not verified)

In reply to by Larry (not verified)

Fri, 08/31/2018 - 03:25 Permalink

My son recieves benefits for bipolar disorder. Can his daughter recieve benefits too?

Betty (not verified)
Tue, 09/04/2018 - 17:09 Permalink

My 14yr old has total hearing lost in left ear and genetic problems. She lost her SSI. Why


In reply to by Betty (not verified)

Wed, 09/05/2018 - 16:29 Permalink

Hi Betty,

If the parent(s) make a decent income, then the child's disability could be lost or denied. This could be what happened. I would call the SSA to see if that is what happened to your child. Their number is 1-800-772-1213.

rhonda jewell (not verified)
Sun, 09/23/2018 - 20:51 Permalink

I receive $750.00 a month in SSI. Should my 15 year old daughter receive anything. I have never receive nor expect to receive child support for her.

Sarah McGraw-Laputa (not verified)
Sun, 10/28/2018 - 17:27 Permalink

Is my grand daughter who I have legal permanent guardianship of able to collect a portion of my disability payments?


In reply to by Sarah McGraw-Laputa (not verified)

Mon, 10/29/2018 - 16:44 Permalink

Hi Sarah,

Grandchildren can only qualify for auxiliary benefits under their grandparents if your granddaughter's parents are disabled or deceased, or if you legally adopted your grandchild.

Donna (not verified)
Thu, 02/14/2019 - 16:34 Permalink

I have 2 children and my ex is $16,000 past due on child support. He just got approved for disability and told my son to apply for SSDI. If my son gets SSDI, how will this affect the arrearage of child support (which was for both kids)?


In reply to by Donna (not verified)

Fri, 02/15/2019 - 14:54 Permalink

Hi Donna,

Social Security disability benefits is a federally run program while child support is mandated by the courts, so they do not impact each other. But, if your ex was awarded back pay then that may be garnished to satisfy child support debt.

Mike (not verified)
Tue, 05/07/2019 - 14:42 Permalink

I have some custody of my daughter and the mother is 4000 in arrears on support and is not part of her life.Support enforcement says they cannot enforce because she is on social security disability they said I might be able to check with social security and tag my daughter onto her claim and at least get something from social security for her .Is there any real chance of this or is it a waste of time?


In reply to by Mike (not verified)

Wed, 05/08/2019 - 16:23 Permalink

Hi Mike,

There is a chance your daughter could qualify for auxiliary benefits. She would have to be a dependent of her mother's to qualify.

Tab (not verified)
Thu, 05/30/2019 - 14:13 Permalink

My mother owes $26,000 in back child support and is receiving SSI. Not disability. Can she get in trouble for not paying anything. Even after receiving SSI?


In reply to by Tab (not verified)

Fri, 05/31/2019 - 13:47 Permalink

Hi Tab,

SSI and child support are two different programs. SSI is a federal program and child support is decided by the court so SSI and child support are two different programs. But if child supported is mandated by the court, the responsibility does not stop once someone begins to receive benefits.

Dad_Life (not verified)
Tue, 07/30/2019 - 19:08 Permalink

Just curious if autism spectrum disorder, childhood speech apraxia, stutter cluster disorder and socially declined response time is enough grounds to file for ssd for him. The struggles of a single dad are real and I would love to know what is available to us?


In reply to by Dad_Life (not verified)

Wed, 07/31/2019 - 14:34 Permalink

Hi There,

I am sorry to hear that. I would recommend seeing if you can apply for SSI benefits instead. Your son may not have enough work credits to qualify for SSDI benefits. You can be approved for SSI benefits regardless of little or lack of work history, though they are very strict income limits with SSI benefits.

Robbie Anderson (not verified)
Tue, 08/13/2019 - 14:16 Permalink

In 2002 I started receiving SS Disability. I had an 8 year old daughter at the time. I was paying child support as court ordered in the State of Fl. Then one day SSDI started sending 800.00 a month for my minor child. I didn't request this money, and called the SS office in Broward County Fl to make sure everything was legit. At this time I told them that I was receiving workers comp to the sum of 135.00 a week, and had been the whole time I was employed because it was a permanent partial disability and was still allowed to work. I told her the amount I was collecting and ask if this was going to interfere with my SSD checks, and was told no it wouldn't because it wasn't enough to make a difference. Now 17 years later they send me a letter saying that I was overpaid to the sum of 66,000. By the way my X wife was the rep payee for this because she was the primary custodial parent. And her and her new boy friend had a pretty good time at my expense. I ask for a review 2 years ago, and had not heard a thing till now. They still say I was overpaid. Now what do I do?


In reply to by Robbie Anderson (not verified)

Tue, 08/13/2019 - 16:56 Permalink

Hi Robbie,

I'm sorry, that's tough. I'd suggest you call your state's bar and see if they can put you in touch with an attorney that can help. If you're still in Florida, their website is floridabar.org.

Candace Pera (not verified)
Sat, 08/17/2019 - 19:34 Permalink

So my son and his wife are separated. She has the twins.One has add.adhd.autism.spetrum 2.the other twin has add,adhd possibly bipolar.My son has been working since he was 15.I was on.life support in february and this almost died.This triggered panic attacks.He has lost 3 jobs because he is constantly at the emergency room.They do not last 10 to 15 minutes.They cluster and last for days.As a child he was diagnosed with ptss.My ex was very abusive
Both he and my daughter in law were in special.ed in school.He has been diagnosed with chronic panic attack disorder. He is on medication.they give you before you go into surgery that knocks him out.I applied for ssdi for him
Will the twins with special needs be able to collect any of his benifits since he will be unanle to pay child suppport.


In reply to by Candace Pera (not verified)

Mon, 08/19/2019 - 16:27 Permalink

Hi Candace,

If they are dependents of your son and he receives SSDI, then they may be eligible for auxiliary benefits if they are under 18 or enrolled full time in school and are unmarried. If they are dependents, you can list them on your son's application.

Buddy (not verified)
Sun, 08/18/2019 - 10:52 Permalink

I'm getting SSDI and SSI because I didn't work enough to get straight SSDI so I get the bear amount of money and I just found out I have a daughter and was wondering would she automatically get a check to


In reply to by Buddy (not verified)

Mon, 08/19/2019 - 16:21 Permalink

Hi Buddy,

If your daughter is a dependent, under 18 or enrolled full time in school and is unmarried then she may qualify for auxiliary benefits under your SSDI.

Lisa (not verified)
Wed, 11/27/2019 - 03:55 Permalink

Hi, my granddaughter was was born premature and she she had heart surgery and two more surgeries now waiting for her back surgery hopefully the last
She is now 9 months old and is on g tube feeding which means her feeding is scheduled and on breathing.
My question is can I apply for SSI or SSdi as her grandmother


In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Wed, 11/27/2019 - 11:10 Permalink

Hi Lisa,

You can apply for SSI. You'll need to provide the financial information for whoever she lives with as SSI is also based on household income. If she lives with her parent(s), then the SSA will take into consideration their household income.

I would also recommend you review the Blue Book with her doctor to make sure she meets the medical requirements.

Sandra (not verified)
Tue, 12/17/2019 - 20:37 Permalink

I am going thru divorce and my soon to be ex get disability payments for himself and our 2 children as well as my daughter who is not his child. I have been awarded full custody and he is not paying child support. When divorce is final can I call and get the children’s ss


In reply to by Sandra (not verified)

Fri, 12/20/2019 - 13:57 Permalink

Hi Sandra,

It sounds like your ex-husband is the representative payee for your daughter. To switch this you will have to make an appointment with your local SSA office. It works best if all of the parties involved are present. Since you have full custody and in theory need to cover the expenses this seems like a good switch.

Pharmacy Mama (not verified)
Wed, 12/18/2019 - 15:09 Permalink

I receive SSDI for myself and auxiliary benefits for my children.. One of my children is special needs and doesn't qualify on his own due to the fact that I have to much property (he's 14 yrs old.) My question if that if he stays in high school until 21 years old, can he continue receiving auxiliary benefits until age 21?


In reply to by Pharmacy Mama (not verified)

Wed, 12/18/2019 - 16:49 Permalink

Hi There,

He should be able to.

Additionally, once he turns 18, he may be able to qualify for SSI on his own because financial records.

Ann (not verified)
Tue, 01/14/2020 - 15:32 Permalink

If I qualify for Adult Child Disability under my fathers SSI will my 15 year old daughter also receive Benefits under her grandfathers SSI?


In reply to by Ann (not verified)

Wed, 01/15/2020 - 16:49 Permalink

Hi Ann,

It's likely she won't. A grandchild can only qualify for auxiliary benefits under their grandparent if the grandchild’s parents are deceased or also disabled, the child had been living with the grandparents before they turned 18 years old, in the year before the grandparent was eligible for SSDI benefits the child received at least half of his or her financial support from that grandparent, and if the child is under 12 months old, he or she must have been living with the grandparent since birth.

Cindy (not verified)
Mon, 02/24/2020 - 10:01 Permalink

I adopted my son in 2018 I did not know if he was allowed to receive benefits when I found out he was we tried to do it and someone was using his Social Security number so we got a new Social Security number and I filed for his disability through me and the woman told me I get 12 months backpay is that correct even though he started getting checks and I have not received any backpay


In reply to by Cindy (not verified)

Thu, 02/27/2020 - 14:33 Permalink

Hi Cindy,

It can take about 4 months after you begin receiving disability benefits before you receive your backpay.

Eet (not verified)
Wed, 03/11/2020 - 16:05 Permalink

My childrens father intents to "act crazy" to get a SSI check that way he doesnt have to pay childsupport. In that case they can not deduct childsupport from him. Would my children qualify for any type of benefit?


In reply to by Eet (not verified)

Wed, 03/11/2020 - 16:51 Permalink

Hi Eet,

Child support and disability benefits are two separate entities. If your child's father receives SSDI, then your chidren may be eligible for auxiliary benefits. These are only available for those receiving SSDI, not SSI.

Mike j (not verified)
Wed, 04/15/2020 - 20:09 Permalink

I’ve been receiving social security for a a year now I got a letter saying my daughter is eligible for disability from 4/17-3/20 and every month she gets 742.00 now what does it mean when they say the would pay from 4/17-2/20 is that back pay and how long till I get it they already asked for banking info and I’ve completed the application and approved and it does state that’s she’s entitled pay from that time period???


In reply to by Mike j (not verified)

Fri, 04/17/2020 - 14:58 Permalink

Hi Mike J,

That means she will be receiving back pay as the SSA has determined she should have been receiving benefits from 4/2017 and on. Back pay typically comes about 4 months after your daughter begins receiving benefits. She should receive a letter in the mail stating how much she should be receiving.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 06/29/2020 - 14:49 Permalink

I'm on disability And CPS placed 2 of my grandchildren with me will it affect my disability Payment


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Sun, 09/27/2020 - 22:56 Permalink


If you are receiving disability benefits, your grandchildren may be eligible to also receive benefits. You should contact your local SSA office to ask which options are available for you.

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 08/13/2020 - 08:12 Permalink

My baby has Laryngomalacia Is it a disability? Has it since birth they say it was birth Difficulty

Add new comment