Lump sum back payment

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 09/26/2011 - 13:04

I received two lump sum payments, but I have not spent all of the funds. I want to make a funeral arrangement and buy a car. How soon must I spend the lump sum payment.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 09/12/2016 - 12:34 Permalink

I have a child who is on disability who received one back payment. Her other payment is scheduled to come this month but it wasn't in my account


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Wed, 09/14/2016 - 09:58 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to contact the SSA as they can give you the most up-to-date information about your child's claim. Their number is 1-800-772-1213

Shan (not verified)
Mon, 09/12/2016 - 22:27 Permalink

I received a letter stating my son was fully favorable for ssi and back pay. He received his first monthly benefit of $733 in May 2016. Now in August 2016 I received a letter stating that my son lawyer was getting their fee and also stated that the fee decided for the lawyers was based on the back pay. They also told me what my son was going to receive back. It is September 2016 what is an estimated guess when I will receive the first payment. My son is 12 and disabled. I don't have transportation to get him back and forward to the doctors. We resides in Louisiana. Please Help

mike (not verified)
Tue, 09/13/2016 - 21:29 Permalink

they cheeting me out my back money

T (not verified)
Tue, 09/13/2016 - 21:50 Permalink

My brother just received his lump sum he have social security so he get his benefits every month but he's staying in a nursing home so they want me to pay them all his benefits accept $30 but now they're saying he has to pay back Medicaid for the years that he's been staying at the facility with his back pay is that true


In reply to by T (not verified)

Wed, 09/14/2016 - 10:02 Permalink

Generally, if you enter a nursing home or hospital and Medicaid pays for more than half of the cost of your care, your SSI benefit is limited to $30 a month. As far as the Medicare is concerned, some states do ask to recover funds in the case that a Medicare recipient receives a lump sum of money or source of income.

Alisha (not verified)
Wed, 09/14/2016 - 10:08 Permalink

If I had a IEP in school learning disabilities and received social security through my father's ssdi until 19 I dropped out in the 10th grade disability payments stopped then . Can I receive adult child benefits plus my off my earnings for ssdi?


In reply to by Alisha (not verified)

Wed, 09/14/2016 - 10:36 Permalink

Hi Alisha,
If you were determined disabled before 22, you may be eligible for benefits based off of his work record, but not yours, if your father is receiving retirement or disability benefits.

Alisha (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Sat, 09/17/2016 - 13:06 Permalink

Bryan, what I was asking would a learning disability be considered a disability? I was receiving the social security because my father was ordered to pay child support for me and my father was on ssdi at the time . Now I'm 44 have my own earnings but also on my online social security past history it shows the benefits I received from him and about receiving as an adult child.


In reply to by Alisha (not verified)

Mon, 09/19/2016 - 14:59 Permalink

Hi Alisha, it may if the SSA considers you disabled because of the learning disability.

Alisha (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Tue, 09/20/2016 - 13:08 Permalink

Hi Bryan, I spoke to my local social security office regarding my ssdi off of my father's earnings and they said they could tell if I had his social security number but he wasn't home so I haven't gotten in touch with him I will have to call him back tomorrow. Lady from Social Security also said you could contact your attorney and see how she is filing your claim and I did call her and she told me that that would be too far back to go and paperwork to check and see. The lady from Social Security said that would be a good idea to make sure because it may bring my ssdi benefit at a higher amount, But I guess my attorney doesn't feel like doing the work SMH!!! My hearing is next month guess I gotta deal with it.

maurice bailey (not verified)
Fri, 09/16/2016 - 13:04 Permalink

I have a friend and she is 62 , she said she never received her back money from 1978 , is there a way for her to get her back money? if yes how and what do she have to do?


In reply to by maurice bailey (not verified)

Fri, 09/16/2016 - 14:47 Permalink

Hi Maurice,
She may want to contact the SSA and find out if she is still eligible to receive back pay.

Joe (not verified)
Fri, 09/16/2016 - 14:03 Permalink

My 12yr old daughter has been receiving ssi since 06 and we just found out they owe back pay of about 5,000,is there a certain period of time or way this money needs to be spent

Shae (not verified)
Tue, 09/20/2016 - 22:26 Permalink

Hi If I'm Supose To Get The Rest Of My Last Lump Sum Payment In November 2016 Can I Ask For It Now Because I Have Bills That Need To Be Paid.


In reply to by Shae (not verified)

Wed, 09/21/2016 - 09:45 Permalink

Hi Shae,
You may need to contact the SSA regarding this, if you have a pressing need for it you can bring documentation of this need to them and they may be able to help you out.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.