Qualifying children

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/26/2011 - 13:47

I have children and their father has recently went for a hearing is waiting on a decision. I was told that the kids will qualify for benefits. I have several questions.
How is the amount determined?
What are the rules for the cutoff age to recieve benefits?
Do the children recieve back pay as well?
What steps if any do I need to take to set up their case?
If a child is 18 but still in high school do they qualify, and for how long?


In reply to by Dee (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:43 Permalink

Hi Dee,
Yes, I would wait until you are divorced. This is because a second home is counted as assets against an SSI applicant. And she will not qualify for back pay--that starts at the most recent application.

Single Mother of 2 (not verified)
Fri, 02/19/2016 - 16:31 Permalink

I have been separated for 4 1/2 years. I am legally married to him still. My ex was just approved for Disability.
He hasn't paid me anything since he walked, will my daughters be able to receive any benefits from his disability?
Will I be able to get any kind of back pay? My oldest daughter is a teenager and my youngest is about to start school. I work fulltime though. Just sitting here and wondering about what I should do and the steps that I should take at this point in time......Thanks for any help that I can get


In reply to by Single Mother of 2 (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:42 Permalink

Hi there,
Yes, they will. So long as they're both under age 18, they can receive up to 50% of your ex's disability benefits. If your ex is entitled to back pay, your children will be too.

noe (not verified)
Fri, 02/19/2016 - 16:52 Permalink

my chhildrens mother is appling for disability and is working with an attorney i have custody of our children do i need to apply for them

Valjeen (not verified)
Fri, 02/19/2016 - 18:33 Permalink

My daughter received a lump sum back pay check based off my SSD in 2015, however all of the money was for previous years 2011,2012,2013, none of the money was for 2014 or 2015. Is this going to be taxable to her on her 2015 tax return? She gave the money to me since she was under 18 during those years. I've tried to find answers with no luck

Miko (not verified)
Sun, 02/21/2016 - 13:45 Permalink

my daughter and I were both receiving SSDI (her father passed away and was on disability
She just turned 16 earlier this month. My check stops. Will she get the added difference from what I was getting, like she would of when her dad was alive? She probably will be qualified for disabled due to mental issues but need to find out if she will get the difference


In reply to by Miko (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:40 Permalink

Hi Miko,
I am sorry to hear that. Her balance will likely go up, but it will not make up the difference. Spouses and children can only earn up to 50% of a deceased beneficiary's record.

anjerica (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 04:32 Permalink

Hi my kids father is disabled and draws a check. Ok his name is not on my kids birth certificate but he did state he put the down when he applied for it but we don't receive anything...would I have to go apply for my kids and what all do I need of he isn't on the birth certificate


In reply to by anjerica (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:40 Permalink

Hi Anjerica,
You will need to go to your local SSA office to see if he's receiving benefits in the child's name, and if so, to get the benefits in your name instead.

chris vargo (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 05:28 Permalink

hi,im just curious as can be I hope you can clear this mess up for once and for all where do I start. My girlfriend whos been on ssi disability that's raised her granddaughter since she was three who hasn't been recieveing no support or child bennifits other than food stamps which keep getting smaller by the month isn't she entitled to some kind of relieif but probably to late for that.next question,the two of them live in a sec.8 hud housing complex just sent her a letter telling her that she would have to pay the full amount of rent since she got a mimium wage part time job (less 20hrs ) shes 18 but still lives there but still in high school.Isnt there some kind of waiver or exemption clause for this? and last but not least.she has never filed a tax return for her because she let her adoptive parents fool her and tell her that it would be better if she let them claim her even though she live under her roof with all expences paid for.Isnt that fraud? thanks so much


In reply to by chris vargo (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:39 Permalink

Hi Chris,
She would be, if the daughter is either disabled herself, or if the child's parents are both disabled or deceased.
As for section 8 housing, I unfortunately have no idea. We only specialize in SS benefits.
And you actually not need to file taxes for Social Security benefits if your total payments are less than $26,000 per year, which is certainly true for her if she's on SSI.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 05:56 Permalink

Can someone apply for survivors benefits for their child if they do not have a valid social security number? The child does have a valid SS# but the parent doesn't. The decided parent had a valid Ss#


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:38 Permalink

Hi there,
I don't think so...if the parent never had a Social Security number, the SSA will not be able to grant any benefits based on work history.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 06:01 Permalink

my child's father who passed away had other children. I was told that if their mother didn't get them survivors benefits with in 1 1/2 yes of their fathers passing that I would be able to apply for the benefits so my child can get the full amount. They divided his benifits in 3 since he had three children. My child is getting her monthly benefits already..the other children are not receiving anything. Is this true?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Mon, 03/21/2016 - 16:37 Permalink

Hi there,
This is very strange and I have never heard of this. All children under age 18 should be receiving a portion of his benefits.

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 12:17 Permalink

My ex recently began receiving disability. Our children live with me. Are they eligible to receive any benefits through his disability?

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 02/22/2016 - 19:38 Permalink

if my husband is disables and i get a check for the kids can i file taxes

Add new comment