SSI Payee Change

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 09/04/2016 - 19:06

I recently became my brothers payee and the last payee canceled the card it was going on so now as of October im his payee but what happens to his September ssi? if the card its going to is turned off where does it go? does he not get it?


In reply to by Ronna (not verified)

Fri, 10/20/2017 - 13:27 Permalink

Hi Ronna,
You may want to contact the SSA as they can re-assign your child's payee.

bobbie knight (not verified)
Tue, 10/24/2017 - 09:45 Permalink

my daughter has decided to not be my payee after months of bieng my payee so now my son is going to be but am i going to loose my funds that are on my last card that was canceled out


In reply to by bobbie knight (not verified)

Wed, 10/25/2017 - 09:41 Permalink

Hi Bobbie,
The SSA would not take any funds away that it has given you if you were eligible for them. You may want to contact them regarding transferring funds from one account to another.

michelle G (not verified)
Sun, 11/12/2017 - 12:30 Permalink

I went to the ss office on 10/26/17 to remove myself as payee. On Nov 3, 17 the person who I was their payee money was deposited onto the card with my name on it. the person who now has the client called me and wanted me to give them the money. I received a letter from ss stating that the person(which was me) who was originally their payee will no longer receive the money and that the Nov 2017 money will not be disbursed until a new payee has been assigned, yet the money went on the direct express card that has my name on it. I called ss and they said they will find out how to retrieve the money from the card, yet the other person, who I don't know if they are the payee, keeps requesting the money from me and charging fees for not sending it. Do I have to turn it over to them?


In reply to by michelle G (not verified)

Wed, 11/15/2017 - 09:25 Permalink

Hi Michelle,
I would confirm who the new payee is with the SSA, they may not be able to charge fees for not sending the money.

Akiba Prince (not verified)
Tue, 11/28/2017 - 16:16 Permalink

I switched my payeee on 11/15/17 How long does it take to get my new card and for SSI to change the info in there system? As of today 11/28/17 they still don't have me as her payee and the 1st is approaching fast


In reply to by Akiba Prince (not verified)

Tue, 11/28/2017 - 16:35 Permalink


I really can't say for sure. I would recommend calling the SSA and speaking with a representative regarding that.

Malik (not verified)
Thu, 11/30/2017 - 20:07 Permalink

How do I get my payee change

Cherry price (not verified)
Sun, 12/03/2017 - 10:50 Permalink

Hello I'd just reason mailed off a social security application in the mail November 27th..and I'd sent off the original birth certificate and a letter from my doctor I'd been going to see I would like to know about how long it will take for my replacement social security card?


In reply to by Cherry price (not verified)

Mon, 12/04/2017 - 15:35 Permalink

Hi Cherry,
You would need to contact the SSA regarding this, you can get in touch with them at 1-800-772-1213.

susie schoenen (not verified)
Tue, 12/12/2017 - 16:08 Permalink

I am no longer payee for a person, do I have to go to local office or can it be done on line

Freedom Wealth (not verified)
Wed, 12/13/2017 - 01:33 Permalink

Hello, I'm receiving ssi for mental health also my son receives ssi for a physical condition. I was told I needed a payee an tht I couldn't be my sons payee because I have 1. Is that right? What can I do to become my OWN payee? I am capable of handling my own money an bills, HELL I do now. So wht can I do?


In reply to by Freedom Wealth (not verified)

Wed, 12/13/2017 - 08:30 Permalink

Hi there,
If you are not your own payee you will not be able to be someone else's payee. You can certainly file the paperwork to become your own payee! The SSA will just revaluate your claim to ensure you're both able to handle your own payments and still disabled enough to not work.

Jacqueline Barbry (not verified)
Tue, 01/02/2018 - 10:55 Permalink

I have a payee for my SSI.the last few months he's not been on top of things and then lost his job.then said that I would have to pay him now... I refused. Now I don't know where he is and I don't have any money or a place to stay.. I usually stay in a hotel.. I don't have help. I have had no food in two almost three days

Brenda (not verified)
Fri, 01/12/2018 - 10:30 Permalink

I changed my sons payee on 1-8-18 from his dad to my name, how long will it take to get his direct express card? Will I receive it by the 3rd of February?

James (not verified)
Sun, 01/21/2018 - 10:39 Permalink

OK so my mom is in Sayre pa and I'm in Scranton pa how can I switch her to my payee cuz I'll be moving with her within the next few months like what does she need and could we have her do that down there or do I switch everything over then have her do it? Any ways of how I could do it easy

Add new comment