SSI Payee Change

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 09/04/2016 - 19:06

I recently became my brothers payee and the last payee canceled the card it was going on so now as of October im his payee but what happens to his September ssi? if the card its going to is turned off where does it go? does he not get it?

Tue, 09/20/2016 - 13:41 Permalink

Hi there,
If there was another card issued for you as his payee, it may be deposited on that card. However, it may be a good idea to contact your brother's SSA caseworker to confirm where his benefits will be deposited.

Tammy (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Sun, 06/30/2019 - 13:37 Permalink

If a person changes a payee to handle their own money , does that person have to reapply for ssi ?


In reply to by Tammy (not verified)

Wed, 07/03/2019 - 11:00 Permalink

Hi Tammy,

You do not need to reapply when changing your payee, you're just changing who monitors your disability benefit.

Patty casey (not verified)

In reply to by rsg

Wed, 09/23/2020 - 14:41 Permalink

How do I call to talk to about a payee for my daughter I'm her mother

Brae (not verified)

In reply to by Bryan

Wed, 10/16/2019 - 22:52 Permalink

Okay if we have a payee that's been our payee since we are three months old is it had it changed to another payee but have problems with that payee could we change it back to the payee we always had


In reply to by Brae (not verified)

Thu, 10/17/2019 - 12:49 Permalink

Hi Brae,

You should be able to change your payee to the person you want by setting up an in person appointment at your local SSA office. This will work best if you are able to bring in the old payee as well as the new payee.

Debbie (not verified)
Wed, 08/02/2017 - 19:18 Permalink

I got sole custody of my son. He receives ssi. I went to change Payee from his dad to me. His check was already in the mail to go to his dad. How long legally does he have to give me my son's ssi money?


In reply to by Debbie (not verified)

Thu, 08/03/2017 - 11:02 Permalink

HI Debbie,
There doesn't seem to be any rule as to a time limit to hand over funds, but they would need to be used for the upkeep and maintenance of the child.

Mike (not verified)
Tue, 08/08/2017 - 22:16 Permalink

Can a judge make a company be u payee. And not let family be my payee

Kelli (not verified)

In reply to by Eric

Mon, 07/02/2018 - 00:04 Permalink

I was told by a lawyer i couldnt have anyone else be my payee but my mom and i dontget a long at all.could i have my boyfriend be my payer?


In reply to by Kelli (not verified)

Tue, 07/03/2018 - 14:14 Permalink

Hi Kelli,

It's possible to change your payee. However I'm unaware of the specifics of your case. You would have to go down to your local SSA office to change your payee.

Shellbug (not verified)
Wed, 08/16/2017 - 22:08 Permalink

My step daughter has her mom as payee. She refuses to report changes and do the payee report on time. My step daughter is grown and would like to change her payee to someone more responsible. The local office refuses to speak to her unless her payee is present including reporting changes that resulted in over payment. Also she had her funds cut back to repay said over payment and the amount of the cut from the funds does not equal the amount of her check she's getting now. She's wanting to find out what's going on and can't even ask questions without her payee and her payee refuses to cooperate at all.


In reply to by Shellbug (not verified)

Thu, 08/17/2017 - 09:15 Permalink

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear about that! You may want to contact the SSA regarding this, if you report a payee that is not complying with the SSA's regulations, they can re-assign her payee.

Jed (not verified)
Tue, 09/26/2017 - 21:33 Permalink

Hi, my girlfriend currently has a representative payee. SS determined today that she no longer requires a payee. The current payee has a large sum of back pay currently in a account for her. When they receive notice from SS that they are no longer her payee what is the method of transferring the money to her and how long do they have to do it?


In reply to by Jed (not verified)

Thu, 09/28/2017 - 11:32 Permalink

Hi there,
You may want to have the payee contact the SSA regarding this, they may oversee any arrangements you would need to make regarding these funds.

Tammy (not verified)

In reply to by Jed (not verified)

Wed, 04/17/2019 - 16:36 Permalink

What did she have to do to get her payee off her checks ? Did she need a a letter from the doctor?

I hope you get this text thanks so much appreciate it


In reply to by Tammy (not verified)

Fri, 04/19/2019 - 10:40 Permalink

Hi Tammy,

If you're trying to change your payee or become your own, you'll need to go to your local SSA office as it needs to be done in person!

Ronna (not verified)
Wed, 10/18/2017 - 14:34 Permalink

My ex husband receives SSI benefits for our 14 year old son. He now lives with me fulltime due to ex not being able to care for him properly. I did not request her to pay me child support. How can I get his benefits sent to me?

Add new comment