SSI Payee Change

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 09/04/2016 - 19:06

I recently became my brothers payee and the last payee canceled the card it was going on so now as of October im his payee but what happens to his September ssi? if the card its going to is turned off where does it go? does he not get it?

Wendy Elizondo (not verified)
Thu, 11/14/2019 - 12:07 Permalink

My son is blind gets SSI for last 18 year's it was in my name but my parents went behind my back and got in there Name and they ain't spending it on him I'm in home can I get it back in my name


In reply to by Wendy Elizondo (not verified)

Thu, 11/14/2019 - 16:31 Permalink

Hi Wendy,

You are able to change the payee by going to your local SSA office. I recommend making an appointment and then explain the whole situation to them.

Tamikal (not verified)
Mon, 11/18/2019 - 17:28 Permalink

Im my son payee want to switch my son payee to his father... Is it possible and what's the process????


In reply to by Tamikal (not verified)

Tue, 11/19/2019 - 16:27 Permalink

Hi Tamikal,

You and your son's father will need to go to an SSA office to do that. You're son's father will need a photo ID and his Social Security card.

Ashley (not verified)
Tue, 11/26/2019 - 01:54 Permalink

Question if I’m a payee for my kids ssi (they get it though their dad) can be change it without a court order


In reply to by Ashley (not verified)

Tue, 11/26/2019 - 16:07 Permalink

Hi Ashley,

You are able to change the payee with an appointment at your local SSA office. A court order is not mandatory and the process is easiest if all parties are in agreement and present at the meeting. For more information, I would give them a call.

Terri Griffin (not verified)
Tue, 12/31/2019 - 02:04 Permalink

I recently changed my payee and I would like to know if they received my card yet


In reply to by Terri Griffin (not verified)

Thu, 01/02/2020 - 16:28 Permalink

Hi Terri,

We would not have access to that information. You would have to speak to your local SSA office or your new Payee.

Anonymous (not verified)
Wed, 01/08/2020 - 15:21 Permalink

what if want to change the rep. payee and can not find some else to take care of ssi?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Fri, 01/10/2020 - 11:22 Permalink

Hi There,

The SSA can appoint someone for you. You can make an appointment with your local SSA office by calling 1-800-772-1213 to discuss getting one assigned for you.

Destiny (not verified)
Mon, 02/10/2020 - 13:54 Permalink

I went and changed my payee to my sister from my mom , we did everything on the 31st of January at the social security office. When will she start receiving my funds ?


In reply to by Destiny (not verified)

Mon, 02/10/2020 - 17:24 Permalink


Generally it can be changed by the next pay period, however if there was not a lot of time between the change and the next payment I would expect it to remain for one more cycle before switching over. If it is not changed by the second period, then you should contact the SSA to confirm the status of the change.

Rob (not verified)
Tue, 05/19/2020 - 20:03 Permalink

What should I do if my payee keeps my money and says she gave it to me but never did I called the bank that we use and they said she cancelled the card they gave us and used one of her I am stuck now

Jeffrey willis (not verified)
Sat, 08/01/2020 - 15:30 Permalink

my daughter gets disability,2 years ago her mother and I were together;she is her payee;she was giving me her money every month until the last few months she stopped giving me her money,I have custody,I have since 2018,can I become her new payee?how do I go about it with Corona virus and everything?


In reply to by Jeffrey willis (not verified)

Tue, 08/04/2020 - 18:03 Permalink

Hi Jeffrey,

You should be able to change your daughter's payee by setting up an appointment at your local SSA office. You will have to fill out an application to verify your identity. Given the circumstances it may be best to call the SSA directly

Stephanie (not verified)
Sun, 08/02/2020 - 03:03 Permalink

My mother was my son’s payee and she passed away! I know I need to change his payee but I was hoping that there is a form online that I could print out and send it to social security without having to go up there


In reply to by Stephanie (not verified)

Sun, 08/02/2020 - 20:57 Permalink
Hi Stephanie, I am sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this is a process that must be done in person. I would recommend calling your local SSA office to learn more about their current policies regarding COVID-19.

Add new comment