SSI Payee Change

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 09/04/2016 - 19:06

I recently became my brothers payee and the last payee canceled the card it was going on so now as of October im his payee but what happens to his September ssi? if the card its going to is turned off where does it go? does he not get it?


In reply to by Ness lopez (not verified)

Fri, 03/30/2018 - 14:13 Permalink

Hi Ness,

I am sorry to hear that, I really couldn't say why. I would recommend them speaking with a Social Security advocate to see what next steps to take.

Debbie (not verified)
Fri, 03/30/2018 - 22:29 Permalink

My 21 year old nephew recently came to live with me. He is autistic. His father is his payee. He’s been with me about 3 weeks now. There was neglect (not giving medications, unkept, and wearing dirty clothes) his program director can testify to this. There are police reports and adult protection services is involved. APS said they don’t give reports. How can I change the payee. He’s not even living with his father. I do receive SSDI


In reply to by Debbie (not verified)

Mon, 04/02/2018 - 15:58 Permalink

Hi Debbie,

To change a payee you will need to contact the SSA. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local SSA office.

ashley (not verified)
Sat, 03/31/2018 - 18:50 Permalink

hello i was my dads payee I no longer wanted to be it so my dad had my sister become it they change dit 2 weeks before he gets paid ... he get paid the 3 will the money go into my account i had set up for him or his new one i need to know so i can close that account...

Gabriel (not verified)
Tue, 04/03/2018 - 01:11 Permalink

My uncle recently passed away last week and he was my younger uncles payee for his social security benefits. The bank would not let him touch his money and they stopped his benefits.


In reply to by Gabriel (not verified)

Tue, 04/03/2018 - 16:59 Permalink

Hi Gabriel,

I am sorry for your loss. I would contact the SSA about your uncle's situation. Their number is 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local office.

Will (not verified)
Tue, 04/03/2018 - 09:39 Permalink

my Moms Brothers and sisters use her money because she doesnt know any better but ill be 18 in a month and im taking over for her so she can get her money since its legally hers anyway . But the problem is idont know how to go about it ..


In reply to by Will (not verified)

Tue, 04/03/2018 - 16:11 Permalink

Hi Will,

If your mom wants to change her payee to you, she needs to contact the SSA. Their number is 1-800-772-1213.

Miriam (not verified)
Mon, 04/09/2018 - 18:44 Permalink

My brother has a psychiatric disability and my dad is his payee. Unfortunately, my dad is in very poor health and we all agree that my mom should take over as payee for now as she is still well. How do we do make that change?


In reply to by Miriam (not verified)

Wed, 04/11/2018 - 17:01 Permalink

Hi Miriam,

Your brother would have to go down to his local SSA office in person to have it change. You can go with him you want to. Best of luck.

Anonymous (not verified)
Tue, 04/10/2018 - 23:11 Permalink

I have a payee buy there not doing there job and I want to be my own payee my name is Jeremy Turner

Jenna (not verified)
Mon, 04/16/2018 - 15:07 Permalink

My room mate wants me to be her sons payee for disability benefits I take care of him most of the time is that possible

Debbie (not verified)
Sat, 04/21/2018 - 21:14 Permalink

What is the process for changing representative payee? How long does it usually take

Tika (not verified)
Wed, 04/25/2018 - 06:34 Permalink

My grandma is my payee but she stays I'm NC and I'm moving to Detroit how do I take her off and my my mother my payee

Shelly (not verified)
Thu, 05/10/2018 - 19:55 Permalink

My payee is terminally ill ( my mom ). I need a new payee ,which I have chosen my sister. How do we go about this change?

Anonymous (not verified)
Mon, 05/14/2018 - 14:33 Permalink

Audrey franco claims i am gail franco and disabled. My name is tina bertuccio and i am not disabled

Tanya (not verified)
Tue, 05/15/2018 - 13:39 Permalink

My friends father is the payee for his money and he is using it to buy his beer with and not giving it to my friend.. my friend wants to get it switched to me.. does his dad have to be present to switch it?


In reply to by Tanya (not verified)

Thu, 05/17/2018 - 11:48 Permalink

Hi Tanya,

So the person on Social Security will have to to down to the SSA office to switch the payee. The representative payee would only need to be present if the person on SS benefits is under 18.

Ayana (not verified)
Wed, 05/16/2018 - 14:40 Permalink

So i want to move to another state my rep payee doesnt agree with me and says that he wont give me any of my ssi to help me move how can i get my ssi transfered to another state as well as a different rep payee

Fashania (not verified)
Mon, 05/21/2018 - 21:45 Permalink

I be 43 June 5 my mom is my payee can I change it myself to be my own payee

Shawna (not verified)
Tue, 05/29/2018 - 09:08 Permalink

My brother is 50 and my mom is his payee. How can he be his own payee? Does he have to go to Judge? She is getting elderly and he has been doing his own finances for a long while.

lee harper (not verified)
Tue, 05/29/2018 - 22:11 Permalink

hi my name is lee harper i would to switch my payee from betty roberts to my name how do i become my own payee

diane (not verified)
Thu, 05/31/2018 - 19:54 Permalink

Hello I have a few questions. My mom does not want my sister as her payee it was me but when she went to visit her she changed everything. I am the person who manages all her bills and her legal power of attorney. My mom is bed written and not able to go into an office so I am not sure how to have this reversed. The person who is currently added as her payee is a long time drug addict and is not in recovery. I am concerned about my mothers bills, health and life insurance. I went into an office today but they were not much help.


In reply to by diane (not verified)

Fri, 06/01/2018 - 14:19 Permalink

Hi Diane,

The only way to switch payee's is to contact the SSA. If you already tried going into an office, you can try calling them. Their number is 1-800-772-1213. Best of luck!

Frustrated (not verified)
Sun, 06/03/2018 - 09:17 Permalink

My fiancé payee is his sister who hates me. After being verbally abused all utilities getting cut off at least once during the past 4yrs. Can she just hold his money from him and claim I she changed it's the state or your brother depending on which argument were having? She has been threatening him with this for a couple years now.And refuses to give us recipes or copies of any bills she pays with his money...

barbara (not verified)
Tue, 06/12/2018 - 11:53 Permalink

I am my niece's representative payee & we let the local social security office know I'm no longer able to manage that role. They indicated they faxed a form to my niece's doctor to request doctor's approval for her to become her own payee again. The doctor's office has not received the form. What s the form number so we can let the doctor's office know?


In reply to by barbara (not verified)

Tue, 06/12/2018 - 15:43 Permalink

Hi Barbara,

I would recommend speaking with a representative at your local SSA office.

Erica (not verified)
Mon, 06/18/2018 - 14:25 Permalink

I was incarcerated 4 yrs ago an i have been trying to put myself as my sons payee but my mother who has no kind of custody or temporaily custody does not want to take it off an says she will not give me his money what can i do an since i have been out of trouble for 4 years am i able to be his payee

Britteny miller (not verified)
Wed, 06/20/2018 - 02:18 Permalink

I would like to be my own payee


In reply to by Britteny miller (not verified)

Wed, 06/20/2018 - 16:09 Permalink

Hi Britteny,

You will have to contact the SSA for that! Their number is 1-800-772-1213 or you can visit your local office.

Keith jenkins (not verified)
Tue, 06/26/2018 - 13:55 Permalink

I am 49 yrs old and I had a stroke when recovering my mom opened my mail and changed my disability payment to come to a debit card in her posession


In reply to by Keith jenkins (not verified)

Tue, 06/26/2018 - 17:25 Permalink

Hi Keith,

I would call the SSA about that! Their number is 1-800-772-1213 or you can go into you local office.

Holly Walsh-plew (not verified)
Wed, 07/25/2018 - 19:27 Permalink

How can my son change his payee cause he's grandma is his payee and she been using his money for her bills and animals but not on my son my son leaves with me all his life from a baby to adult and he wants to change his payee to Tina Houck as his payee


In reply to by Holly Walsh-plew (not verified)

Thu, 07/26/2018 - 16:56 Permalink

Hi Holly,

To change the payee you need to contact the SSA. You can call them at 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local office.

Ashlee (not verified)
Fri, 07/27/2018 - 10:36 Permalink

How do I become my moms payee?

Kathy (not verified)
Fri, 08/03/2018 - 16:33 Permalink

My disabled son was in a group home and I took him out. They insisted on being his payee, I went to ssa and changed payee back to me. He has 1500 in his account and they refuse to give it to us, said they are sending it back to ss because they have to, is this true? I think they’re just mad cause I took him home. He was being neglected

Add new comment