how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Anonymous (not verified)
Thu, 11/17/2016 - 18:14 Permalink

Can you have a payee and still be in charge of your money? And if your payee removes themself and if u don't have one to replace the payee will ssa stop your check till u have a new payee?


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 11/22/2016 - 11:17 Permalink

Hi there,
the SSA would appoint a new payee at that point, and they may hold any funds until you have a new payee appointed.

Leslie Jones (not verified)
Fri, 11/18/2016 - 17:17 Permalink

Please get back to me soon as possible this ssi disability really sucks yes my mom can handle stuff on her on just want to want to depend on me I don't same check she does she can have it I never wanted it I hate the same thing ruins my life I wasn't born with a disability anyway plus took dads name off the check your bitch mom is don't anything to with her anyway I want ssi check canceled that's how I feel thank you

christina (not verified)
Mon, 11/21/2016 - 22:22 Permalink

I am my daughters payee. She is 18yrs old with bipolar. She wants all her money sent to her now ,so she is going down to SSI to remove me. What can I do about this, can she remove me without me being there.


In reply to by christina (not verified)

Tue, 11/22/2016 - 11:21 Permalink

Hi Christina,
She may not be eligible for benefits past the age of 18 if she is on child SSI, but if she is on adult SSI and is required to have a payee she may not be able to change her payee without some compelling reason for the SSA to appoint another payee.

Lisa (not verified)
Tue, 11/29/2016 - 04:40 Permalink

I was my stepdaughter payee and she went with her mom to changes her payee a week ago with out knowing about it til the other day cause she told that her mom would get her check dec 1 st someone told me i would. I don't know how true this is. I was wondering if this is true or not


In reply to by Lisa (not verified)

Tue, 11/29/2016 - 12:20 Permalink

Hi Lisa,
If you're not sure who the payee is, you can always check with the SSA. I would recommend making an appointment at your closest SSA office by calling 1-800-772-1213.

Kevin radke (not verified)
Sun, 12/04/2016 - 22:05 Permalink

Me and my wife seperated and getting a divorce and I'm her payee so how do I step down from being her payee so I can get a divorce?


In reply to by Kevin radke (not verified)

Wed, 12/07/2016 - 16:50 Permalink

Hi Kevin,
You need to contact the SSA regarding this, you can do so by calling them at 1-800-772-1213

Christy (not verified)
Tue, 12/06/2016 - 14:24 Permalink

I need to change my payee. My friend has moved to another state and is not talking to me. My daughter is 18 can she do it?

Darryl Nichols… (not verified)
Mon, 12/12/2016 - 11:46 Permalink

I wish to change my representative from my sister to my parents


In reply to by Darryl Nichols… (not verified)

Tue, 12/13/2016 - 10:55 Permalink

Hi Darryl,
You may need to contact the SSA regarding this, you can call them at 1-800-772-1213.

Aj (not verified)
Sun, 12/25/2016 - 02:17 Permalink

I've been a payee for awhile but my payee has problems and I don't want to be his payee he used that I was the only one he could get I want to be less stressed and not sure how to get out


In reply to by Aj (not verified)

Tue, 12/27/2016 - 11:18 Permalink

Hi AJ,
You may want to contact the SSA at 1-800-772-1213 and inform them that you no longer want to be a payee. They can then assign a new payee.

ellie (not verified)
Mon, 12/26/2016 - 00:26 Permalink

It's terrible to be a rep payee of an abusive alcoholic . How do I get out of it asap ?


In reply to by ellie (not verified)

Tue, 12/27/2016 - 11:19 Permalink

Hi Ellie,
It may be a good idea to contact the SSA office closest to you and let them know that you cannot be a payee any more, they can assign a new payee.

Jeff (not verified)
Mon, 12/26/2016 - 14:41 Permalink

I am on disability and I am the responsible payee for my son whom moved in with his mom. I am putting the full amount in a checking account for him but I receive additional money from insurance in an amount for 67% of my income that I made at my job. They take out the amount that I make from SSDI and the amount my child gets from SSDI so I am loosing money because of this. His mother has a felony so she cannot be the responsible payee, what would I do in this situation? I do not want to be the responsible payee but there is no one else that can be and it causes me to loose that income.


In reply to by Jeff (not verified)

Tue, 12/27/2016 - 11:22 Permalink

Hi Jeff,
You do not need a family member to be the representative payee, they can be a third party that is not related but is willing to use the funds for the child.

Add new comment

Find Out If I Qualify for Benefits!