how do I stop being representative payee?

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 07/01/2013 - 13:47

I have been my brother's re-payee(sp?) for several years and feel that he is more than capable of handling his own money. What is the process to change this arrangement?

Lindsey (not verified)
Wed, 06/24/2020 - 23:46 Permalink

Hi, I have been on disability since I was 17yrs old, due to an accident..I have a payee...well I am now 30 yrs old with 3 children taking care of my own home.. Am i able to resign the payee an still get my benefits? Because I am capable of dealing with my own money an tired of feeling like a child asking for my money ... please help me figure this situation out..


In reply to by Lindsey (not verified)

Fri, 06/26/2020 - 14:32 Permalink

Hi Lindsey,

You can switch to having yourself be your payee. If you become your own payee, the SSA may reopen your case to see if you are still eligible for benefits.

Anonymous (not verified)
Sat, 07/18/2020 - 22:22 Permalink

I have a reperseantive payee for social security disability. I am capable of managing my own money. Where do I start, do I contact social security. I have congestive heart failure, epilepsy!, mineer's disease, but all are managed by medications. What do I say to them. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you


In reply to by Anonymous (not verified)

Tue, 07/21/2020 - 17:30 Permalink


When you want to change your rep payee, go to your local Social Security Administration field office and request a change of payee. You will be given a form to fill out, and guidance will be provided if necessary.

Add new comment

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.